Weis & Early Playing Time

1qa

I like how coach says he's gonna put together the best player personnel package to give ND a chance to win the game, but do you think we blew it with some recruits this year when a lot of early playing time for skill people was only in garbage time?

Carlson was a stud, but when we went down, I was hoping to see more Reuland and Yeatman.

Plus, when Darius was looking a little worn, I was hoping to get more out Munir and Aldridge other than a breather down...

Or... did Minter screw the plan up because we couldn't frickin' close the game early.

Anyway, anyone watching real estate around Minter's house?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest AtlantaIrish

I think the Sugar Bowl blowout cost us big time...kids want to go where they can win and not get blown out year after year in bowl games.

And yes, I do think not giving the freshmen more playing time did hurt us. I would have liked to see Toryan Smith and Morrice Richardson and Raeshon McNeil out on the field more for our defense.

Guest cjlawler

Think about this for a second, AtlantaIrish.

You are a highly touted recruit. You are considering Notre Dame. You watch ND lose the Sugar Bowl. Seeking greener pastures, you decide not to commit to ND, but instead to Tennessee, a loser to unranked Penn State in a second-tier bowl? Or Michigan, who also got exposed in a BCS bowl? Your rationale that "kids want to go where they can win" can't possibly be true for Donald, Martin and Williams...at least not if their decisions were based on what they've seen in the past week, which is an assumption that your argument requires.

I suppose you could make an argument that Edwards was wavering, but haven't Gator fans been very confident that he was coming long before this week? What if OSU blows UF out of the water in the NCG game? Will Edwards break his commitment?

Donald has stated for a long time that he knew where he was going. One of his Scout articles began with, "I'm a Tennessee boy." All of the wishful thinking on here was just that.

I'm sorry we didn't get these guys, but clearly, they had already decided to go elsewhere. Maybe this does give us a better chance with Malcolm Smith, or with a Blackwell or Peters. Or, maybe we get 17 high-quality recruits, call it a year, and change the plan to have a big class in 2008.

Life as an ND fan isn't that bad, people. Cheer up.

As much as I hate to admit it, I think that CW is still learning how to be a head coach, and even more so a coach in college football. It's a different world than the pros, especially because of recruiting. He's learning the ropes and has put together a good class. Next year we will need to clean house though. BTW, you're right our younger guys do need to see more minutes and I think that CW is learning that.

Guest AtlantaIrish

Cjlawyer,

Losing bowl games never helps recruiting, especially when the Irish have gotten blown out consistently the last 14 years. That was my point. Tennessee and Michigan have both won a NC the last 9 years, and both teams usually perform very well in bowl games.

If you don't think the Bowl game played some part then you can't rationalize the whole scenario of things going through kid's heads. They want to play where they know they can win. Getting blown out in a bowl game makes it easier to eliminate a school. If we had a badass defense performance on Wednesday I can guarentee you we would have landed 2 out of the 3 of Donald, Martin, and Edwards.

I absolutely could not agree with this more. Again, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever that our younger guys and freshmen did not see more playing time this year. Charlie knew we were a top heavy team with seniors playing the majority of minutes this year and that next year we would be super young, yet almost nobody outside of Sam Young got any important experience this year. This is what is going to hurt us the most, especially at DB and on the offensive line. And altho I love Darius Walker, Prince and more importantly Aldridge should have gotten alot more carries this year. The recruits see the lack of playing time for freshmen and the lack of an impact they have right away and are turned off by this. Hell, look what Joe Pa did will Justin King and the Williams kid. It is imperative to give the kids more PT not only to attract recruits but to give the young guys experience for the future when they will be desperately needed. Its just overly frusterating because I feel that alot of the time Charlie was playing BQ and the other starters to pad stats or increase Heisman votes rather than getting guys valuable experience. Lets hope this grave mismanagement ends beginning next year.

I think that it is time for ND to pay out the money for a big name defensive coordinator. Someone who these kids will want to play for (similar to what Charlie does for the offense). Not only is Minter a mediocre coach, but he is also not a big name.

Players are no longer interested in education, only a one-way ticket to the NFL. Take Edwards for example, he talks about education, then picks UF. What he really meant is that I don't want to spend a year in Rome (becuase it will hurt my NFL chances).

The only thing that matters anymore is getting to the NFL. We need to find a DC who can offer that to the recruits.

Guest cjlawler

If watching the Sugar Bowl loss this week swayed all of these guys away from us, as you claim, what would these guys have seen this week to convince them to go to UM or TN? If they had all three gone to USC, I'd see your point. But Michigan has not fared well in big bowl games in the last few years, and TN is a middle-of-the-road SEC team in what some claim to be the hardest conference in the country. Donald and Edwards clearly wanted to stay home. Who knows why Williams and Martin chose the way they did? But this argument doesn't hold water.

Unless you personally know Donald, Martin and Edwards, there is no way you can guarantee that 2 of the 3 were going here until Wednesday's game. There's been enough hot air on these boards in the last few weeks.

Toryan Smith is going to be a beast for the IRISH

Absolutely!!! We have plenty of talent coming in and here already. It is the defensive schemes that are lacking. A Defensive Co-ordinator needs to have imagination and draw up a plan that will benefit all the players. Utilize their various skills...bring out all the un-tapped talent that they possess. When the players beleive in them, buy into them...they will execute. And if these plans are executed...and work, then all would fall into place...recruits being apart of it all!

But yes...Toryan should fit right in!

What is amazing to me is that Zo and Donald turned down sure early playing time this year.

It is becoming clear to me that Minter is the biggest issue. Who wants to play for a defense that underperforms?

It is time to bring in a big name DC, Charlie!!! Sooner rather than later. Maybe we can get a couple guys to flip.

Guest cjlawler
Ya cj, but both TN and scUM are closer to getting another NC than we are....

TN has won 1 national title in recent memory...the first BCS title in 1998. They lost their only other BCS game in 1999. Since then, they have neither been SEC champion nor qualified as an at-large team.

UM has won 1 national title in recent memory, and it was a split one in 1997. They have a 1-3 record in BCS games, which by default is better than us, but their only BCS win, like TN, was also in 1998. They have lost their last three BCS games, which followed the 2003, 2004 and 2006 seasons.

Michigan clearly had the edge over us this year. But we have taken 3 of 5 from them since the series resumed in 2002.

Tennessee was an inconsistent 9-4 team this year, with three losses to highly-ranked teams and a bowl loss to Penn State, whom we beat soundly. In 2005, Tennessee was 5-6, including a loss to us. In 2004, they were 10-3, but one of their losses was to a 6-6 Irish squad.

UM is closer to a NC simply because of this year. I know nothing about who is coming back from this year's squad besides Henne and Hart. But it's not as if UM has an overwhelming history of success in the BCS era on its side.

I fail to see at all how TN is any closer to a NC than ND.

Guest cjlawler

Do they? Michigan sure looked about as hapless as we did against USC. Where was TN's talent against Penn State? And it seems a foregone conclusion that the D-Coordinator is about to change.

Nothing personal, NDFan, but I just don't agree with you.

Do they? Michigan sure looked about as hapless as we did against USC. Where was TN's talent against Penn State? And it seems a foregone conclusion that the D-Coordinator is about to change.

Nothing personal, NDFan, but I just don't agree with you.

It's fine. Well I'm not arguing that any of them are going to get an NC next year, but scUM spanked us and TN played very well for the majority of their season but just couldn't get it done against PSU...but they were ranked they just had a let down (we know all about playing down to the opponent)

i dont know if this has been asked or talked about.. but what is Weis like in recruiting?

i mean is he the type to just be nice and do everything honestly? or would he be the type to mix in some negative recruiting saying bad things about other schools?

instead of just saying how good ND is and what ND can offer, he could instead say how (enter other school) isnt good for them and how they shouldnt go there because of whatever reasons?

and if Weis is more the honest nice straight up approach, shouldnt he mix in some negative type recruiting to sway players away from other schools? hasnt that worked for other schools negative recruiting players away from ND?

im not saying Weis should BS the recruits and flat out lie, but just point out some honest negative things about other schools.. like Illinois, how Zook cant coach and how Illinois isnt even a top tier program.