Did this loss hurt recruiting?

dangeruss

if your a top recruite you could come to ND and mostlikely play right away. but after last the sugar bowl it's very clear that one recruiting class isn't the answer it's going to take a few more to get ND back to where they want to be. so if your a top recruite you have to ask yourself do i want to go to USC, OSU or UF and compete for a NC right away and play for an elite team or do i want to go to ND and play right away but probbly wont become an eilite team untill maybe my junior or senior year.

No I do not see this hurting our recruiting!!! Chuckster will put an emphasis on helping ND FINALLY win a bowl game!!!!

Plus I am sure the Jimmy is in the ears of the recruits that will be playing in the AA game on saturday to come to ND with him to help turn things around and win a National Championship!!!!

I see it two ways. First, I see 'danger's' view, especially the part about playing right away...but being a couple years away from making a difference. But then there is the playing right away and feeling the difference could be almost immediate? A couple of programs out there that just need a recruit or two to keep it going.

Guest weisforprez

Danger come on. You are an insightful poster. And I agree that we got beat, BIG, AGAIN.

But so what, to defensive recruits all they saw last night was a chance to play early and on the biggest stage. Not a bad sales pitch for Charlie.

or do i want to go to ND and play right away but probbly wont become an eilite team untill maybe my junior or senior year.

A recruit coming in should be playing on a team that will compete their sophomore year and have a chance to play a lot. And I mean an awful lot

Well gentlemen...I would love to sit here and say that the cupboard is full of young talent, but frankly its not...its getting there, but we are a year or two away.

CW has recruited skill players as his offensive system should continue to bring them in...However we have not signed a four or five star defensive tackle in 3 or 4 years and Willingham left the cupboard bare when it came to team speed and our secondary was exploited for that the past three seasons.

Two solutions to this failure...Get a strength coach that will develop our players into bigger faster and stronger players.. Specifically Kuntz, Hand, John Ryan, Brandon Nicolas, Ian Williams and Paddy Mullen. We must become stronger up the middle. If we are lucky enough to land Blackwell (who after last night's game and Nick Saban going to Alabama, may just end up in Tuscaloosa) than we must demand that these players step it up in the weight room...Frome / Landri / Leitko were all examples of undersized but strong players who were able to overcome their lack of size with hard work in the weight room. Laws and Hand appear to be fat...no two words about it...they are fat...Ian Williams is also carrying some baby fat on him that I want to see ran off in the upcoming offseason.

Second, we must baptise our corners by fire...McNeil, Walls, Gray and Laimbert will be our top 4 corners next year and they should all see the regular playing time that should have come their way this season. As for our safeties, both are likely gone (zbi is 80/20 gone) and I want to see Sergio Brown and Bruton to the reigns and not look back.

What happened to Anthony Vernaglia?? Wasn't he supposed to be our best LB for this season???

As a rule, I would think that winning would almost always be better than losing in terms of helping recruiting. And I would think losing big-time would be even worse.

Let's face it, winning certainly hasn't slowed down Carroll.

Sugar didn't sour recruits

JEFF CARROLL

Tribune Staff Writer

SAN ANTONIO -- By virtue of geography, many observers thought Notre Dame would have to really work to secure the services of highly regarded defensive end Ben Martin.

Martin attended high school at Cincinnati LaSalle High School and with Ohio State zeroing in on its second national championship of the decade under head coach Jim Tressel, pulling talent out of the state is only going to get more and more difficult for outsiders.

But in the end, Martin selected neither the Irish nor the Buckeyes, opting instead for Tennessee.

It was a decision perhaps even more painful for Notre Dame fans, in light of a fact Martin revealed after Saturday's U.S. Army All-American Bowl. All along, it had been Notre Dame with the geographic advantage, not Ohio State. Martin was born in Gary and lived there down the road from the golden dome until he was 8 years old. And he still frequently visits relatives there.

Martin officially announced for Tennessee during the All-American Bowl broadcast, after a week in which rumors had begun to circulate that he was favoring the Irish.

"It was just like a great place for me," Martin said of Knoxville. "When I went there I felt real comfortable. I felt real comfortable with the coaches. They treated me almost like I was their own son. It's like being in a family there, once you get there. That was the best place for me. I prayed on it. My mom liked it. She liked the people there. She just felt safe with me going there and I'm just happy for it."

After a humbling 41-14 loss to LSU in the Sugar Bowl just three days before, a strong recruiting haul at the All-American Bowl would have helped secure the thought that help is on the way. Eight players who have verbally committed to the Irish were already on the East and West team rosters, and Martin, linebacker Chris Donald, offensive lineman Chris Little and linebacker Lorenzo Edwards all placed the Irish on their list of finalists.

In the end, however, only Tulsa, Okla., offensive lineman Matt Romine picked Notre Dame from a row of baseball caps lined up in front of him. And Romine did so at the broadcast's outset, before kickoff, leaving three solid hours for Irish backers to watch talented players spurn South Bend.

The good news for Notre Dame is that Romine, a 6-foot-6, 285-pound tackle/guard from Union High School, is considered a top-100 player in the upcoming recruiting class by many recruiting analysts, including 74th by Rivals.com.

He served as the West team captain on Saturday, an indication of the leadership skills of the well-spoken Oklahoman.

"Notre Dame was just the total package," Romine said, "with the academics and the football tradition and the football program coach (Charlie) Weis is building there. It was just impossible to beat."

The Irish, Romine said, were involved with him longer than any other elite Division I-A program. Weis' staff offered last March, right around the same time as Romine's home state school Oklahoma, the other finalist for his services.

"It was the toughest decision of my life," Romine said. "I feel like I took a lot of trips there. I feel like it's an informed decision and it's the best fit for me."

Romine made five visits to South Bend, four unofficial visits and an official one.

"I was talking to my parents," he said. "I said that it would probably be the toughest decision I make other than who I marry down the road. Hopefully, that's not as hard as this one."

Romine said he informed Weis and ND offensive line coach John Latina of his decision last Tuesday, while they were involved with final preparations for the Sugar Bowl.

But even on his big day, Romine admitted that he was disappointed that he stood alone in choosing the Irish.

"Before the game I was talking to (ND tight end recruit and East team All-American) Mike Ragone, waiting to be introduced and he had some inside scoops that I didn't know," Romine said. "I knew Lorenzo Edwards and Chris Donald were both really down close and he told me they were both going elsewhere. I found out I was the only one committing to Notre Dame today when I thought there was going to be a handful of them. If they feel that's the best school for them, more power to 'em, because that's their decision and that's why I chose Notre Dame.

"We want the best players and we've got a lot of the best players in the country at Notre Dame already committed in Mike Ragone, Jimmy Clausen, Armando Allen. The list goes on. I'm looking forward to being classmates with them and winning a national championship with them."

One thing Notre Dame fans can perhaps take solace in --both Martin and Little said that the Sugar Bowl beating had nothing to do with their decisions.

"I didn't pay any attention to bowl games," Martin said.

"I watched the Sugar Bowl," Little said. "But I don't base it on the bowl games or how teams play in the bowl games. I really don't. Because every team is going to have a bad game, just like we lost today. Every team is going to have one bad game."

Whatever the reason, however, the end result is that the Irish will have to look elsewhere to fill some pressing holes.

"With Notre Dame, I could have went there and got a real good education," Little said. "The reason I chose Florida State was because really I wanted to stay near home. I don't want to go too far.

"It was really stressing me out, a lot of confusion. It was a really tough decision, but I knew I had to go ahead and make it."

ARTICLE-CLICK HERE

romine is a great pickup. weis is building a top notch offensive line. if you give clausen or jones all day to find our young WRs then we are going to score a lot of points. i dont care if we win games 42-38. a win is a win. dont get me wrong, though. i want the D to improve.

Guest NDEagles379

I heard a rumor that we chose between Romine and C. Little, because both wanted to come. That is why C. Little came out with Florida St. all of the sudden. We wanted Romine.

Based on the reports from the AAA Bowl week, we got the right guy. Romine is very technically sound and a good leader. Little couldn't handle Martin or Trattou during practice, and Ev Griffen during the game.

I heard a rumor that we chose between Romine and C. Little, because both wanted to come. That is why C. Little came out with Florida St. all of the sudden. We wanted Romine.

Based on the reports from the AAA Bowl week, we got the right guy. Romine is very technically sound and a good leader. Little couldn't handle Martin or Trattou during practice, and Ev Griffen during the game.

Little was very slow. Huge, but slow. He was getting beat all day. Romine is outstanding and if we did choose we made the right call.

Romine told the coaches Tuesday before the Sugar Bowl. It was well rumored weeks ago (and confirmed on the AAA telecast) that C. Little would be committing Florida State.