Pete Caroll's "best recruiting class ever"

crouchingjedi

It's obvious after listening to the Rose Bowl commentators and other media in the past 24 hours that Pete Caroll has been boasting about his incoming recruiting class as his best ever.

If memory serves me I don't think we are in a major battle with SC for any of our remaining recruits, but who else are they ready to reel in? Marvin Austin?

Their talent on the field clearly dominated Michigan, and the fact this recruiting class could be his best is even more worrisome.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just looking at who they have now is pretty impressive. They have Mark Tyler (some list as the #1 RB), Chris Galippo (#1 LB), Everson Griffen (#1 DE), James Wilson, Kristopher O'Dowd, and Aaron Corp. They also have a shot at getting guys like Tolliver, Austin, and McKnight.

USC could finish out this class with 10 - 15 5 star players (depending on which rankings you look at). That is just sick....

As much as I dislike PC, he is clearly the best recruiter in football. In order for USC to be brought down to earth, he HAS to go to the NFL. As long as he is there, they are going to be a great team with great players.

Guest VagasFerguson44

Personally, I don't like the guy either. But, there is no one that recruits like he does. You've got to hand it to him that his "buddy" approach to recuriting and coaching is very popular with this generation of kids. It is amazing how he has changed around that program from what it was 15 years ago.

They are gonna be awfully tough to beat on the field and on the recruiting trail until Poodle leaves Compton!

Guest weisforprez
Just looking at who they have now is pretty impressive. They have Mark Tyler (some list as the #1 RB), Chris Galippo (#1 LB), Everson Griffen (#1 DE), James Wilson, Kristopher O'Dowd, and Aaron Corp. They also have a shot at getting guys like Tolliver, Austin, and McKnight.

Chris Donald is the #1 LB in the nation. I will not even debate this.

New to DD, just signed up today. Im glad to be on board.

In regards to USC... if this incoming class is the best yet then that is a scary thought. USC seems to be building a program that never rebuilds, they only reload.

Anyone else see D Jarrett talking trash the entire game and pointing at defenders as he went into the end zone? I only wish that Michigan DB had hit him harder after he crossed the goal line.

You have to wonder, though, if he has maxed out his potential already. I am not saying he isn't going to be great; but recruiting, a lot of times, is based on potential and this guy already looks like a man. He may be a monster, now, but somebody still growing may surpass him. I hope he keeps maturing!

Welcome KTM, you've just found the best ND board out there. No flamers, just honest disagreement. Luckily the hosers from other teams haven't really discovered DD, so we don't have to put up with the taunting and trash talk. Sir John is religious about scanning the board, so maybe he gets rid of them; I don't know, but he does an outstanding job of moderating the board and keeping it the best source for ND info out there. Again, welcome. :clap:

Guest weisforprez
Chris Donald is the #1 LB in the nation. I will not even debate this.

Compared side by side I agree that Chris Donald is the #1 LB, but I was referring to Galippo by his position and accidentally left the "M" out of MLB for him.

Fair enough. It will be very interesting to see Donald against elite competition, as the only major knock on him has been the level of competition.

Let's hope Donald puts on an Irish hat in 4 days. This kid is a MONSTER!!!!

Guest weisforprez
You have to wonder, though, if he has maxed out his potential already. I am not saying he isn't going to be great; but recruiting, a lot of times, is based on potential and this guy already looks like a man. He may be a monster, now, but somebody still growing may surpass him. I hope he keeps maturing!

I'm sorry are you talking about Donald wave? Because I think you are more accurately describing Gallipo. Donald can work on his tackling, pass coverage, and other minor things about his game. That's why he wasn't ranked very high to start with. Gallipo on the other hand is the one they always talk about being so fundementally solid, and I think that's mainly why all the recruiting services love him, as he does all the little things right now. I think Donald is not even close to fulfilling his promise, even if he stops growing tomorrow. He's already a stout 225 with speed and power.

Just a thought here...and this is totally hypothetical, but if we were all-american high school football players, why wouldn't you go to USC?

Warm weather, decent academics, incredible women, pipeline to the NFL, pro-style systems, former nfl head coach, great assistant coaches, essentially you would be playing for Los Angeles' only football team of note and you could end up tight with the hollywood scene as well...as no nfl franchises or local rivals are really competing for national attention in the area why would you choose to go anywhere else?

Now if you figure in personal loyalties, available playing time, NCAA sanctions, national television exposure versus regional exposure and a possibility of increasing your academic standards...that would be the only things that would change your mind.

Quite honestly, I view USC as the new Miami (FL)...The end of their reign will come with the NCAA putting heavy sanctions on the program (which should have been done after Bush, Jarrett, Leinart, M. Williams and others have had nationally publicized encounters with the NCAA rules committee). That is why Reggie Bush was not allowed back on the sidelines for the Rose Bowl...

This is nearly inevitable...just give it another offseason or two with Marc "dirty" Sanchez to leave a sexual harrassment seminar and assault another co-ed for him to be put under the watchful eye and then wait for one of his teammates to get caught cheating on another exam or a booster (Snoop) to get caught providing improper benefits (hookers/drugs) to a few players and we will see what the NCAA will do...

That is why USC and Miami are second to Notre Dame...They are solid for ten year stretches and then they are destroyed by NCAA sanctions and lose their recruiting edge and eventually their head coach...

While Notre Dame has recently dug itself out of a drought from the national scene, that drought was not a result of improper allegations or ncaa rulings...rather it was a result of bad coaching (davies) and incompetent recruiting (willingham)...luckily we appear to have those problems solved now and for the foreseeable future.

Now if Bill Parcells would just tell everyone that he is going to quit in Dallas and become the head coach and GM for the Giants, we can then stuff the new york media from creating these CW to the Giants rumors once and for all...

..sorry for the rant.

Guest IndyIrish

That late hit on the Michigan DB was one of the weakest calls I've ever seen. I was really hoping he would flatten Jarrett, kinda like Zibby did to Bush last year during his showboat.

So many of these kids who come out highly ranked end up as mediocre players or as some will find out at USC sit on the bench for 2 years. You can't underestimate in a youngsters mind especially one with pro aspirations how important the chance to play is. Look at USC for a second, if you were a stud running back and just watched them at one point in the 2nd half throw the ball 28 times and run it 4 times, why would you want to go there?

So many of these kids who come out highly ranked end up as mediocre players or as some will find out at USC sit on the bench for 2 years. You can't underestimate in a youngsters mind especially one with pro aspirations how important the chance to play is. Look at USC for a second, if you were a stud running back and just watched them at one point in the 2nd half throw the ball 28 times and run it 4 times, why would you want to go there?

Ummm I would also look at the film with both Lendale White and Reggie Bush getting 20 carries a game and then realize that PC was trying to get exposure for his QB going into next season or help him out the door and get Marc "Dirty" Sanchez in the lineup next season...

If you want to keep top RB's out of USC...remind them of the 3 ***** RBs they have signed in the past two years and ask them what special teams position do they plan on playing the next 2 years before they get regular time...

Trust me, exploiting the USC system isn't going to get you anywhere with 2 Heisman trophies and countless NFL alumni to counter your position

Petey is bringing in a good class, but I think he's feeling the pressure because CW is recruiting just as well as he is.

Think about what great pub that is for an announcer to say on National TV that this coach is bringing in his best recruiting class ever. Why wouldn't a coach say that?

As for Jarrett, Petey showed his true colors, when after Jarrett showboated twice, Carroll was just jumping around like a little kid. He lacks a lot of class, as there is no way CW, Lloyd Carr or even Tressel would let a player get away with that. The sick thing is that some recruits will like that "fun-loving" approach.