Lets say 6 5th years are granted-How many scholies are left?

Guest Georgia Irish

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Son of Rook

If we take 25 players this year we can take only 9 5th yr players instead of the 12 who are eligible. This means we can take a total of 18 in 2008 which includes 5th yr players and only 14 in 2009.

Guest SirJohn

Hey Son. He did say originally a full boat this year. I don't know about that now possibly 22??? What was the figure thrown out for 2007 15 18???? I think with a smaller gourp he could be selective, more attention on the best.But then if we DON't do spectacular 2007 then????

Guest Son of Rook

Three of the 15 are not coming back. M Thomas, McConnell, and Anastasio. Gioia has applied for dental school at Penn and Marquette and has not made up his mind yet so at thisn time there is 12

ND is currently sitting at 78 or 79 used scholarships (not counting the 07 recruits not yet signed).

At the end of this year, 29 guys "can" leave. 14 have no eligibility left so they are gone. If all 15 of the 5th years come back, ND would have 64 - 65 players on scholarship.

We all know that only 7 - 10 5th year guys are going to come back next year. So now the total of used schollies (not counting current recruits) would be around 56 - 60. We are also planning on bringing in 20 - 25 guys this year, so starting next year we would have somewhere around 76 - 85 (all spots filled).

If we bring in 22 guys this year, that would leave room for 13 or 14 5th year players. If we take 22 and 10 come back, we would be stiing on about 81 or 82 scholarships. At the end of next season, only 18 players would be leaving with 6 of these having the possibility of a 5th year....leaving ND with between 64 (no 5th years coming back) and 70 (if all 5th year guys come back). Which would allow us to take another full class next year.

However, I honestly believe that CW is better at math than I am, and knows that he should aim for about 22 players a year. I do not think he will fill up in 07 or 08 because that would kill us in 09 and 10. Look for CW to take 20 - 22 guys from here on out, and possibly 22 - 25 depending on transfers.

NOTE: I did not take off my socks to count, so these numbers could be off by 10 :-)

Guest Georgia Irish

Irish Guy and others

So how many do you think will be available, like above only around 15? Wow that would be interesting. But then think again I know we dont like players leaving early for the NFL and ND has never been about that, but if ND starts achieving ultra success then ND might in the future start having players bolt for the NFL after their JR. seasons.

Guest NDEagles379

Based on what IrishGuy wrote, with maybe 7 or 8 guys returning for 5th years, we'll have 57 or 58 schollies. Add 23 or so to that for this year's recruits, and you have 80. That leaves 5 for the year after, plus the 15 or so that will graduate. So maybe we have room for around 20 next year?

That sounds about right. Charlie has it figured out I'm sure.

CW has made it clear that he would not ask a player to stay an extra year just to help the team.

At ND, most of the players graduate in 3.5 years. So, by the time the 5th year rolls around, they are already holding a degree from ND. If CW doesn't feel that staying the extra year would drastically improve their draft standing (if they are NFL bound) or offer them a significant roll on the team, they would not likely come back.

CW sits down with every 5th year guy and goes over the pros and cons of staying.

How many will be available is kinda tricky. Going forward, I believe CW will bring in around 20 recruits a year, and will offer a 5th year to the ones that he feels should come back. In the future, look for ND to stay around 85 scholarships each year.

As ND gets more successful, you can expect to see less and less 5th year guys. As CW brings in better and better talent, these guys will get playing time earlier in their careers. The only exception is QB. I would expect to see all freshmen QBs not named Jimmy sitting for at least 1 year (if not 2 or 3).

Guest Son of Rook

As12/21/06 Scholarships Avail. 2007 12 -5th yrs, 9 -seniors, 14 -juniors, 28-soph, 25-fresh

=88 3 fresh/5th yr to many

2008 0-5th yrs , 14-seniors, 28-juniors, 25-soph, 18-fresh

=85 allowed 18 fresh/5th yr possible 7-5th yrs

2009 0-5th yrs 28- seniors, 25-juniors, 18-soph, 14-fresh

=85 allowed 14fresh/5th yr possible 4 -5th yrs

This is if no one leaves early or transfers

Guest cjlawler
Three of the 15 are not coming back. M Thomas, McConnell, and Anastasio. Gioia has applied for dental school at Penn and Marquette and has not made up his mind yet so at thisn time there is 12

Why are those three not coming back?

Guest cjlawler
give me your e-mail address and I'send you a up-todate chart

Son of Rook, I got your email. Thanks very much. After today's events (Little's FSU commit and McKnight dropping us from his list), the original title of this thread is now correct - we have twelve known offers out, right?

Robert Hughes

Matt Romine

Summers-Gavin

Anthony Davis

Jason Peters

Ben Martin

Will Blackwell

Malcolm Smith

Chris Donald

Lorenzo Edwards

Major Wright

Michael Williams

EDIT: Just realized this post was not in the "12 offers for 9 spots thread," which I was re-reading right before posting in this one. That's what I was referring to when I was talking about the original thread title. Oops.