Hint: Top state recruit could be Illini - Martez Wilson

el senor domer

Hint: Top state recruit could be Illini

Advisory snafu offers clue into choice by Simeon's Wilson

By Teddy Greenstein

Tribune staff reporter

December 13, 2006, 11:24 PM CST

If star football recruit Martez Wilson of Simeon wanted to build suspense before announcing his college choice, this was probably not the way to do it.

An advisory sent to numerous media outlets Wednesday stated that Wilson, the highest-rated player in Illinois, and Bloomington Central Catholic's Josh Brent would reveal their destinations during a Dec. 21 news conference at Simeon High School.

The bottom of the e-mail release contained the words "Go Illini!"

Why? Because that's part of the e-mail signature belonging to Cassie Arner, Illinois's associate sports information director. Her name also appeared on the announcement.

NCAA rules prohibit schools from discussing specific recruits or planning their news conferences. But Arner said that she merely supplied a list of media contacts to Simeon offensive line coach Paul Phillips, who then e-mailed the advisory without removing her name.

"It doesn't look the best," Arner said, "but it's perfectly legal."

Arner said she would alert Illinois' compliance department just in case there's an inquiry.

Erik Christianson, NCAA director of media relations, could not be reached for comment.

Phillips, reached late Wednesday, sounded a bit embarrassed that the Illinois reference was on the e-mail.

"It said that on there?" he asked. "My computer skills are not the best."

Phillips didn't directly confirm that Wilson would commit orally to Illinois, but he said the school has told Wilson he will be able to play both offense and defense.

Wilson, a 6-foot-4-inch, 235-pounder whom rivals.com ranks as the nation's No. 2 defensive end, covers 40 yards in about 4.5 seconds.

"He's going to start off playing both ways but I think his best chance going pro will be at outside linebacker or defensive end," Phillips said. "But he can play outside receiver. I've seen him outrun guys half his size."

Recruiting analysts say that if Illinois earns commitments from Wilson and Brent, a 6-3, 280-pound defensive tackle, the school could be on its way to a top-20 recruiting class.

tgreenstein@tribune.com

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/cs-061213illinirecruit,1,27953.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Guest AtlantaIrish

I still can't believe Zook is pulling these kids away from Notre Dame and getting them to go to Illinois. It just befuddles me that these kids are drinking his Kool-Aid and falling for his promises.

Guest NDEagles379

Illinois should be investigated. Remember, one of their assistants (is it the OC?) used to coach at Maryland and was the one who gave Victor Abiamiri a PS2 or something during recruiting. Maryland was then told they couldn't recruit him anymore, and he came to ND. That guy is as shady as they come. I think they are just trying new ways to get them to go there, for example jobs for family members and such (Benn).

Weis is wasting his time on this kid. It's over. Let's move on to Donald and keep our fingers crossed. I believe that I saw someone post that this Friday is the last day coaches can schedule visits. Not sure if I remember that right. If it is, my advice to Weis is to take a Friday plane to Tennessee and forget Wilson. Just my 2 cents.

look, if these kids and or their families are led astray by the promise of ps2's or any other gifts, then they probably don't belong at notre dame. i believe it was charlie who said when he came to nd that he was going to build a smart, intelligent, nasty football team. well, i'm sorry but some of these kids are not acting very bright right now. so be it. funny, it kind of reminds me of willy wonka, when all those kids were made promises after they received their golden tickets and then proceded to squander their opportunity. all, except charlie. we want to keep the charlies.

Guest NDEagles379

Weis is doing an in-home with Donald. I think its today. The thing is though, Donald has already decided. If he is a Vol, I doubt he'll change his mind. I think he's Irish though. So they'll talk about how many championships they're gonna win together.

Guest NDEagles379

I agree. The fact that they chose Illinois, and that they probably got something under the table, means that they are not guys that I want on our football team. There's also a "Me" factor - they can be the star/hotshot over at U of I.

Weis is doing an in-home with Donald. I think its today. The thing is though, Donald has already decided. If he is a Vol, I doubt he'll change his mind. I think he's Irish though. So they'll talk about how many championships they're gonna win together.

Good to know. The Tennessee boards are saying that Donald will not be taking an official UT visit before his announcement, but they discount that as significant given that Donald has been to so many Vol games in the past (they're probably right). However, they did say that Donald and his family will be hosting the Tennessee coaches this weekend for an in-home visit. Hold your breath.

it kind of reminds me of willy wonka, when all those kids were made promises after they received their golden tickets and then proceded to squander their opportunity. all, except charlie. we want to keep the charlies.

Wow, not only is this a perfect analogy, but it also says that you want to keep the Charlies. I don't think it could get any better.

Guest Son of Rook

I guess it's my feeling is that Wilson goes not want to, or is afraid to, compete against the 13 as of now linebackers on nd rooster. He may also be afraid of possible recruits M Smith and C Donald abilities. Zook is probability telling him that he will start next year. If this is his reason, I don't think ND is the right place for him because all we can guarantee is a great education, great coaching, and a chance to play if he earns it with skill and hard work.

Guest nbogan1

Wilson, a 6-foot-4-inch, 235-pounder whom rivals.com ranks as the nation's No. 2 defensive end, covers 40 yards in about 4.5 seconds.

"He's going to start off playing both ways but I think his best chance going pro will be at outside linebacker or defensive end," Phillips said. "But he can play outside receiver. I've seen him outrun guys half his size."

Let's hope this guy can outrun a 3-foot-2-inch, 117.5-pounder. If not, he's in trouble.

Guest shark83

http://cache.deadspin.com/images/2006/05/ronzookreadytorock.jpg]

Would any of you want to play for this fool?

Good luck Martez.

Hope you like your new coach once Zook gets fired.