The Thread! All about ND vs USC In Here (No Negativity)

Guest Irish4life

Guest rocketsan22
Sorry, but I can't let this stand. Having watched football now for 37 years and having seen a few heisman candidates in my time... {CUT} Now I know all of the ND haters in the world will say forever and ever he is overrated. But in sports, just like in politics, people often let their emotions determine their thinking. {CUT}I hate SC but I recognize the talent and coaching that are in that program. And recognizing the talent from SC out there tonight, Brady Quinn was the best football player on the field. Dwayne Jarrett was a pretty close second. END OF STORY.

Okay, I need some assistance then... I too have been a longtime football fan. In the early days I was a Florida State fan for two reasons: I was a stupid kid, and S.I. ran a wicked cool pic of their O-Line that I tacked up on my wall. For almost the last 20 years I have bled blue and gold, here's an example of my loyalty:

http://i15.tinypic.com/2udz534.jpg

I too hate SC with a heated passion (about as much if not more as I hate the thuglets down at Miami). I have watched every Irish game of Brady Quinn's career save for one or two that were not available up here in Canada (and I didn't search out a sports bar with a feed). I am educated and have auniversity degree. I know he set the record books on fire and will go down, as we have heard ad nauseum, "as the greatest quarterback to ever suit up for Notre Dame."

Why is it then after five years that I still find myself sitting on the fence about him? as I said a post or so ago, I really think that if it weren't for studs like Stovall, McKnight (save for last night), and ESPECIALLY Jeff Samardzija making him look brilliant... this would all be moot...

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The points tell the story.

The offense scored 24 -- that's enough to win most games.

The defense gave up 37 -- that's enough to lose most games.

The defense did not score any points although a couple of fine individual efforts got us two turnovers. We started off the game looking unprepared on defense, as usual, and well prepared on offense, as usual.

Guest TDJesus3

well i dont know about brady 5 years ago, since he has only played 4 here

but he can make every throw in the book, he can read d's, and he has more heart than anyone else we have, and yet you doubt him?

NFL scouts are dying for this kid, and yet you doubt him?

you don't think he is making those wideouts look good?

what other qb in the country would you want?

if he had osu's team or USC's around him he would be even better, we have no running game and yet his numbers are sick

come on dont give me this crap, montana may be better, but thats about it, and as far as pure qb skills that may not even match, montana was a winner though, however, in football its about the team, and most of our team is average at best, except for our qb who is by far the best talent in the country

what did you want him to do? play linebacker, 24 points on that D is pretty good considering our o-line is pitiful and we got no running game last night, mcknight doesnt drop 3 balls in the first half and we score another 7-14 points, seriously if you can't appreciate him as your qb then you need to go watch hockey

Guest rocketsan22
you don't think he is making those wideouts look good?

I think Samardzija made him look good...UCLA point one. Every amazing uncatchable catch he made, points 2 through...

Rocket, I can understand where you are coming from. Sure guys like shark and stoval, etc can make BQ look good at times, but did you know that a lot of passes at the college level and above won't look like they are thrown to the right spot. They are designed to be uncatchable by the defense more so than easily catchable by the receiver. Some routes are designed that way and some are adjustments by the quarterback and receiver pre snap and post snap. It's about chemistry between the players. I don't know what they call that in the lingo of the game, but I call that throwing to the hole. There was a story a few years ago about how adept Kurt Warner was at throwing away from defenders and protecting his receivers. It built a tremendous amount of confidence between them. The receivers knew they could lay out for a ball and not get killed.

I have seen about 80% of the plays during the season and I have only seen BQ off two times. For a good part of the beginning of the Michigan game and for just a couple of passes at the beginning of the SC game. Big games both and I'm sure he was a little tight. To illustrate what I'm talking about let's look at two plays in both of those games where BQ may have made mistakes. First the Michigan game when the ND TE had a pass bounce off of his hands and the MI LB took it to the house. On the replay that pass looked a little hot. The TE turned and it was right on top of him. BQ should have taken a little off of it to help ensure the catch. It looked like the TE had room to make a clean catch without taking a hard pop. Instead 7 points the other way. Now in the SC game that last pass that was tipped away was right on target, but still resulted in an incompletion. A better choice depending on the supporting coverage would have been taking a little off and going over the receiver's outside shoulder or again taking some off and throwing more toward the sideline for the receiver to get a shot at it. Obviously BQ didn't think the corner could close that space as fast as he did. Two passes right on target and both were failures. (Contrast that to the completions which looked a little off but resulted in good gains). These are two examples where I'm sure most people wouldn't be blaming the quarterback. They would say the TE dropped it and the defender made a good defensive play. My point is they would be only partially right. In the world of the quarterback perfection is the byword.

In the second Pittsburgh/Dallas super bowl hall of famer Jackie Smith for the Cowboys dropped an easy pass that would have been a touchdown. Everyone of course said that it was a bigtime choke. The QB (Roger Staubach) blamed himself because he said he made the pass too easy and gave old Jackie too much time to think about it. Now that's someone in search of perfection. Reminds me of a few people throwing the pigskin in the NFL today...Manning and Brady come to mind.

I have no idea how well BQ will do in the NFL. From here on out for him it is all mental (and staying healthy). What I know is that he is a hell of a college quarterback and a hell of a talent. Thanks for listening....GO

IRISH.........

I think the NFL will eat Quinn alive just like it did our last golden boy Rick Mirer...

I can't say I agree with this, but I respect your opinion, nonetheless. Quinn will have his struggles--like any other rookie quarterback, actually--but he'll succeed eventually; he has the tools and the know-how, after all.

Guest rocketsan22

I'd love to be wrong about it. Believe me, I can hardly stand NFL football as it is and if there isn't a golden domer in the Superbowl, I don't bother watching.