fun for this week

Guest TDJesus3

Guest TDJesus3

hey guys, credit steve hare at rivals

Virginia wide receiver Jay Smith is set to announce his college choice on Wednesday at 6:00 p.m.

Williams will choose between Clemson, Virginia Tech, NC State, Florida, Miami and Notre Dame.

He visited Notre Dame in June and plans to hit South Bend again after his season ends.

Coach Ianello contacted him this past week...shortly after Benn's announcement.

lets see coach contacted him after Benn's decision, he decided to choose around the time Benn set his announcement, and hes going to visit after the season

anyone think we have a chance here?

I don't know TD, I see the reasoning behind what you're saying, but I would find it hard to believe that a kid would just wait around for another recruit to come or pass on ND, and then make his decision. I think Smith does have legit interest in us, but not as much as say Golden Tate would. If he geared his recruitment around what Benn or our other 2 receiver recruits did I think he might be selling himself short. Theres some pretty good teams on his list, but I'll hold out hope.

I like the going to visit SB after season...

I like Coach Ianello calling recently after Benn committed to Illinois....

and I especially like the fact that he is announcing this week after the last two i likes....

It makes you wonder if Jay was put on hold when maybe ND assumed they might be full at WR with Benn. It sounds like if he commits Wednesday night that maybe he was really interested in ND, but ND didn't have room at the time. When things worked out with Benn not coming, he grabbed his chance before anyone else took the offer.

Guest shark83
He visited Notre Dame in June and plans to hit South Bend again after his season ends.

Coach Ianello contacted him this past week...shortly after Benn's announcement.

anyone think we have a chance here?

There first sentence is very interesting. Smith is going to announce his decision this week but he says he won't go to South Bend until his season is done (Hmm).

Is it just me or why would he say something like that about ND and then commit Miami/UF/VT/Clemson/NC St.? Wouldn't make sense to commit to one of the schools other than ND and then take a visit to ND after your season is done and you commited somewhere else. Mike Frank claimed that no other WR offers were going, so it sounds like he might be our 3 WR in this class.

Guys I like our chances. I really think we have a good shot. Just as good as Miami, and VT. I'm not sold on him going to VT though he may choose to go there. I found it odd that he was deciding to commit without a recent visit to his other schools. Just out of the blue, no significane or anything. I really believe we have a shot.

We definitely have a shot, here's what his dad said back in July:

“Jay talks to the coaches about once a week. They’ve been interested in Jay for some time. After Jay earned the MVP of the Scout.com combine in Durham, I think that’s what really convinced them that they really wanted Jay.

“Coach Ianello, in my opinion, is one of the best in the nation,” Mr Smith said of the Irish wide receivers coach. “Coach Ianello is good. Through the recruiting process I’ve been trying to talk to all the wide receiver coaches to try to get a feel for them and I’m very impressed with Ianello. Obviously Notre Dame is a big-time vertical program in terms of throwing the football. The offense is nothing but vertical, and I know just looking at the scheme that Ianello loves receivers that can stretch the defense with receivers that are 6-foot-3 or 6-foot-4. I know Jay’s his type of receiver and we’ve had those types of discussions.

And the funny thing about it is, his dad goes on to say that he's up to 197 lbs, and he's only 16 !!!!

Guest irishrick

NICE WORDS BY DAD, BUT DOES THE KID WANT THE IRISH, WITH IT'S STRICK ACADEMICS , AND SO FORTH, HE MIGHT WANT TO LOOK AT THE HOLLYWOOD SCHOOL > can he make it at nd???? GO irish :roll: :roll:

I haven't heard much about him being turned on to the Irish. Because of that, I would be very surprised if he announced Irish.

However, now that Benn is out I wouldn't be surprised if Jay Smith might have changed his mind.

I think that Broke said that Benn will be Irish come NSD whether he committed or not. I think that Benn is great, but I really don't think that this kid is typical ND. The interview after his commitment to IL made me think that he was a little too individualistic for ND. Plus, I remember a while back when he went out to see Jimmy play in the 7 on 7, he said something to the effect of "Jimmy is good, but let's keep it honest,,... he's not the greatest quarterback that I have ever seen." I don't know,.. if we don't get him in the end, I won't be crying. Jay Smith would be nice though. You can teach height (6'4") :D