Jahvid Best?

Guest AtlantaIrish

Guest AtlantaIrish

I'm hearing that the Irish are going after the RB from California very hard right now. Does anybody out there have any video footage or information on the kid?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Visited Oregon last weekend, reports are that he left a Duck. Also a track star, which would make Oregon appealing. Poodle took in a Salesian game a few weeks back, reports were SC was team to beat. Have heard he is impossible to reach, isn't playing the game. Can't verify for sure, just rumblings right now, but Oregon would make sense.

Guest TDJesus3

im pretty sure he is one that will visit for the banquet

not sure about this oregon committment, ive heard the rumors but havent seen it confirmed

Check this out, courtesy of Svo on IrishEnvy:

Jahvid Best left no doubt.

The Salesian-Richmond lightning-in-a-bottle back needed 174 yards Saturday to break the Bay Area single-season rushing record.

Instead he more than doubled that total with career highs of 415 yards and eight touchdowns in a 63-34 Bay Football League home win over previously unbeaten King's Academy-Sunnyvale.

The 5-foot-11, 185-pound senior finished with 204 carries for 2,623 yards -- the seventh best regular season in state history according to the calhisports.com record book -- and 37 touchdowns. He had 41 touchdowns overall.

"On top is exactly where Jahvid belongs," Salesian coach Chad Nightingale said. "He's done it all with everyone keying on him and a minimum of attempts. He's a special talent and kid."

With Salesian (8-2, 4-1) now off to defend its North Coast Section Class A title, Best now has his sights set on Bay Area full season marks of 2,798 yards rushing (Burlingame's Onan Reyes, 1997) and 45 touchdowns (San Mateo's Albert Tuipulotu, 1996).

The two-time state sprint medalist scored on runs of 18, 87, 4, 4, 6, 15, 28 and 46 yards as Salesian piled up 544 yards, 504 coming on the ground. Fullback Ryan Ching, who along with the offensive line did a superb job blocking, had 100 yards rushing on 15 carries and the team's only other TD.

"I wasn't thinking about the (Bay Area) record but just getting a win and a co-championship," Best said. "It's a great honor to get it but a lot of people and teammates helped me get it."

Guest weisforprez

Guys I hate to be the pessimist, but from what TD said about AA, and the way that Wilson may take Hughes with him to Illinois....we may not get a top RB.

I mean right now offering Golden Tate may be the best thing we could do. Outside of Joe McKnight shocking the world and picking us I don't see how we're going to get a top 100 overall running back.

Oh well, # 34 looked pretty good this last weekend.

I wouldn't be surprised if he stole the starting job from DW next year.

Guest weisforprez

DW just doesn't hit the hole hard enough. With a line that will lose a couple of guys this year, you need somebody who can consistently break tackles and attack the line of scrimmage.

I just don't see that in DW's game.

DW just doesn't hit the hole hard enough. With a line that will lose a couple of guys this year, you need somebody who can consistently break tackles and attack the line of scrimmage.

I see it in DW every now and then.When he does hit the hole fast and with some meaning he runs well.Plus he picks up some damn good yardage.

Guest weisforprez

I see it in DW every now and then.When he does hit the hole fast and with some meaning he runs well.Plus he picks up some damn good yardage.

Hey, I'm a DW fan. But you proved my point, his aggressiveness comes and goes. Maybe the pressure from Aldridge will be enough to get DW running harder all the time.

Patience is good, but hesitating behind the line isn't. I see DW improving, but I think with another year Aldridge may take his job. At least for 1st and 2nd down.

Guest TDJesus3

those best oregon rumors seem to have gone away, i would be really suprised if he committed, especially with all the big boys chasing him

being a silent to oregon wouldnt make that much sense at this point, if he committed i think it would be public or an announcemne date would be set

With the news of Allen today announcing with Van Dyke on Dec 1st, Best and Tate are the only 'speed back' types we are after. I dont think Oregon is much of a player, and that it will come down to us and Cal. Hopefully, we can bring him in along with Hughes and bring Tate in as an athlete or corner.

Guest AtlantaIrish

I'm sure Charlie and the staff are now in lockdown mode in order to land Best. Is there anything else we need to know about Best (for example, does he want to early enroll, is he fully qualified, etc.) that would prevent us from landing him?

Notre Dame's depth at RB is weak compared to most top 10 teams so I am still hopeful that one of these kids will recognize that ND presents a great opportunity (DW is producing 1500 all purpose yard seasons and will be gone after next year).

I couldn't even imagine what our offense would look like if we had a RB with the talent and speed of a Bush, Peterson, or a McFadden.

Come on Charlie, get Best.

is there any reason RB recruits arnt coming to ND?

is it really good to put alot of stock in how rivals and scout put stars on these recruits? is there really a big difference in a 5 star and a 4 star? or wouldnt Weis be able to get the best out of whoever comes in at RB wheather its a 4 star or 5 star?

we are talking about high school guys who could still be improving their game right?

Guest NDEagles379

Special,

We got two stud RBs last year. Aldridge was a 5 star, Prince I think only a 3 star, but Poodle was after him, so he must've been good.

This year, I'm a bit surprised that we're striking out on RBs, but I have three ideas why. First off, our offense seems like a pass first type offense.

Second, whoever comes in will have Aldridge and Prince right in front of them.

Third, many off the best HS running backs this year will not have the grades/class/scores academically to come to ND. Hughes needs to improve to get a full offer, as does Caleb King. Allen wasn't good enough academically to be an EE, and that hurt us with him. Kids like Devine might not even qualify, etc.

Worst case, we get 1 RB (Hughes or Best or even Tate), then we clean up with a couple studs next year.