Martez Wilson and Robert Hughes

Guest ndirishfan06

Guest ndirishfan06

FROM USA TODAY

By Jeremy Crabtree, Rivals.com

Of any state in the Midwest, there's not one that's more up-for-grabs than Illinois.

Five of the top six players remain uncommitted at this point. With each one of those top players being impact recruits, the Land of Lincoln definitely remains one of the most heated recruiting battleground states in the nation.

Starting at the top of the list is Chicago Simeon five-star defensive end Martez Wilson. The 6-foot-4, 230-pounder continues to list Illinois and Ohio State as his leaders, but other powers like Miami, Notre Dame and USC will get official visits from him.

Wilson's recruitment is one of the more interesting stories to follow not just locally, but nationally. Will Wilson head to Illinois and play for a team that's still trying to establish a solid foundation? Will he head to a national power like USC or Ohio State? Then there's Miami, the real wild card. Wilson admits he grew up a big Miami fan, but he also says he's been following closely the struggles that Miami has had on the field this season.

The next blue-chipper still on the board in Illinois is Chicago Hubbard four-star running back Robert Hughes.

Hughes, who is 5-foot-11 and 226-pounds, already has visits lined up to Notre Dame and Ohio State. But other teams like Illinois, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota and Tennessee still remain on his list. Hughes also just recently added an offer from Miami.

"I've been a big fan of Miami ever since I was a kid, Hughes said. "Coach (Clint) Hurtt was at our game against Simeon a few weeks ago, and I guess they liked what they saw from me. Coach Hurtt said that he likes the fact that I'm a big back that can get outside and catch the ball out of the backfield. Miami has produced some great running backs in the NFL over the years. It's a real good offer, and I'm going to look at the Hurricanes really hard."

I dunno not looken good for Wilson...hopefully we can land both these guys..just dont understand why someone picks Illinois of a Notre Dame..baffles me

just dont understand why someone picks Illinois of a Notre Dame..baffles me

i have to agree with this. Illinois over ND? or even Ohio State and USC? what are these kids smokin?

maybe i shouldnt trash Illinois, i dont really know much about them.. but they havnt had much success in college football, right?

ive only seen some of one game theyve played, and their freshman QB to me didnt look that impresive.

maybe Zook is telling these kids something they want to hear? i duno, seems crazy to me.

Zook :lol: this is the same guy that made a mess at Florida before being fired, yes?

I dunno not looken good for Wilson...hopefully we can land both these guys..just dont understand why someone picks Illinois of a Notre Dame..baffles me

While a decesion of this magnitude may seem like a no brainer for us Irish fans, with some of these youngsters it is all about impression? Its not always what can the school do for them...but what can they do for the school. In selecting Illinois over Notre Dame, Wilson has an opportunity to be not just an immediate impact on his in-state school...but to become a 'saviour'? Sure this is implying that he may have an ego, but all the recruits have one to an extent. Martez is having his fed on a daily basis to be sure. And he should...he is this good a player.

Now with Notre Dame, we really need "US & WE" type players. An above average player with team concept can take us far, and achieve plenty. Sure, we could really use an impact player like Wilson...but can he use us?

Hughes on the other hand appears to be a perfect fit. I do not know him first hand, nor do I know him through anyone else. But from what I have seen, read and heard he could step in today?

So as for playing for "Homestate U"...it may be a dream for them? But for wanting to play for Miami over the Irish...this should be the real question?

Zook is a great recruiter, and has probably sold them on the idea of being a part of "turning it around".

It's not always about the bigger name, the better team, or the most TV time. Every school has something to sell, and Illinois might offer these kids more of what they are looking for.

There is obviously something about Illinois, because some very big names are listing them in their top few schools.

just had a question i was curious about thought i would ask..

how important is it to get Robert Hughes? or even any top RB right now?

Walker is a junior and will likely return for next season as the starter? plus theres 5 star recruit from last year in James Aldridge who can play alot next year spelling Walker and then take over full time after Walker leaves. theres also fellow freshman Munir Prince who can fill in aswell, so if someone like Hughes was to commit this year when would he realistically see playing time?

is it important to recruit a top RB each year? if they dont get a top RB this year couldnt they just go after a top RB next year?

Incredibly important...if you look at it, we really don't have true depth at RB. Each back does something a little different, and hell, Aldridge is one shot to the knee away from being out for next season. That, then, drops us down to have a scatback and a slow, strong back. We don't really have a gamebreaker or somebody who is all-around terrific. We have a lot of guys who complement each other, but again, if Aldridge gets hurt, we only have 2 guys.

I saw Memphis lose its two QBs early last year, leaving them in quite a predicament. What happens if we lose 2 RBs? Is Munir Prince going to be our feature back...? Eeek...I don't know that I ever want to see that happen.

Since both of these guys are supposedly going to attend the Football Banquet, I thought that I would find out who has attended in the past. Last year, most of our recruits had verbed by then. I ran across this article from 2002. It contains some interesting names.

http://old.irishsports.com/stories/subscription/2002/10/20/isr_recruiting.20021020-isr-TRIB-SS17-Banquet_visitors_alr.fff.sto

just had a question i was curious about thought i would ask..

how important is it to get Robert Hughes? or even any top RB right now?

Walker is a junior and will likely return for next season as the starter? plus theres 5 star recruit from last year in James Aldridge who can play alot next year spelling Walker and then take over full time after Walker leaves. theres also fellow freshman Munir Prince who can fill in aswell, so if someone like Hughes was to commit this year when would he realistically see playing time?

is it important to recruit a top RB each year? if they dont get a top RB this year couldnt they just go after a top RB next year?

Robert is not just a top running back. And yes, we should target a running back each year. We can never forecast the future. There could be an injury, an early departure, something...anything. Planning for the unexpected is good in itsself. But planning to be even better, consistant is even more important. I believe it would establish that we will go for a top player in every position...maybe not the number one...but one who will fit the scheme that our coaches are trying to set.

And I do believe Hughes will get his share of touches. I too totally expect Walker back next year...he is the key to all the backfield plans.

Four-star running back (ranked No. 11 by Scout.com) Robert Hughes, from Hubbard High School in Chicago, has helped lead his team to a 7-2 record with 957 yards rushing on 97 carries and 13 touchdowns.

Hughes, who lists at 5-11, 228 pounds, denies a leader, but favors Illinois, Minnesota, Ohio State, Notre Dame and Michigan. All of his favorites have offered, plus many more.

He has official visits scheduled with Ohio State on December 1 and Notre Dame on December 8. "I love how Notre Dame just keeps fighting and winning close games," Hughes said. "They play really hard and never give up. Coach Charlie Weis has done well with keeping the team motivated and confident. Even though they lost earlier to Michigan, they didn't let that ruin their season."

Speaking of Michigan…"They are undefeated and not many people thought they'd be so good this year," Hughes said. "I can't wait for the Ohio State game. I don't know who is going to win, and I don't care. I'm just gonna be a fan and hopefully we'll have a great game."

Although not as highly ranked as his other favorites, Hughes admits he's drawn to Illinois and Minnesota because of his chance to play early. "I'd be able to play right away at Illinois and Minnesota," Hughes said. "Illinois is still rebuilding and up and coming. They want to get to the next level and said I could be a big part of that.

"Minnesota has a good history of running backs and has sent several backs to the league," Hughes said. "They are a pretty consistent team every year and I'd be able to make a big impact there and play right away."

Hughes remains very open and says his focus right now is on his high school team. "Our state playoffs are starting next weekend," Hughes said. "I've kind of taken the pedal off the accelerator a bit when it comes to recruiting. I'm just trying to focus on my team right now."

ARTICLE-CLICK HERE