darrin walls?

foreverirish34

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Walls has played very well all year-- until yesterday. He was aweful yesterday and was yanked. Not that Ferrine was much better.

The long TD pass that Purdue completed, should have been an INT by Walls. After the catch, it should have been a tackle by Tommy.

Q. Did Walls get hurt?

Charlie Weis: No, he didn't get hurt, I think that they were, I think that because they were picking on him so much, I thought that, I think Bill felt that if he got a chance to stand on the sidelines and watch what was happening, because when you go into the game plan where 1 really wasn't the guy that, going into the game plan that was going to be the man. Well we certainly made him the man yesterday. And I think sometimes when you stand back and get a chance to watch him or watch it, you know, you get a chance to regroup. And as a young guy what you don't want to do is demoralize them. Because they're not, they don't really know all the things that are happening because it wasn't exactly the way you drew it up when you started to plan originally.

Remember now, despite all that yardage in the second half they scored seven points. Now we can talk about all the yardage we want, but it was seven points. That's the way I see it. So I think that it was more of a chance to let him stand back and get a, be able to look at some of the stuff without just having that big guy coming at you on every single play.

Walls got burned on a couple of plays in the first half, but still did a good job for a freshman.

Guest NDLawJAG

These kind of games are the games he is going to learn the most from. The good thing is even with all his problems we still won pretty handily.

BTW, Terrail Lamber is a stud!!! I said at the beginning of the year that he would break out like Wooden last year. When Wooden gets back we will have a couple of great CBs.

You think so JAG? Idk, it seemed like Lambert was still pretty shakey against Purdue. Terrail seemed to be right there, but he just never made a play on the ball. IMO those two key INTs in the MSU game will only take him so far, but he still has a long way to go before he starts to play up to his hype.

It seems to me Walls is doing a great job on coverage, but when it comes time for the tackle, he may still be a bit light to finish off some of those big guys. Don't see him making the stick, like we need.

He might not be confident in his shoulder yet.

You think so JAG? Idk, it seemed like Lambert was still pretty shakey against Purdue. Terrail seemed to be right there, but he just never made a play on the ball. IMO those two key INTs in the MSU game will only take him so far, but he still has a long way to go before he starts to play up to his hype.
i would have to agree with you nd3. calling lambert a stud at this point is a bit of a stretch.

it seemed like Lambert was still pretty shakey against Purdue. Terrail seemed to be right there, but he just never made a play on the ball.

I totally agree. He wasn't getting beat as much, but he wasn't doing a lot to make plays. But i'll take that, rather than take what I saw from him against Manningham and Michigan.

It seems to me Walls is doing a great job on coverage, but when it comes time for the tackle, he may still be a bit light to finish off some of those big guys. Don't see him making the stick, like we need.

Nal, welcome to the DD.

I do have to disagree with the comment of Walls doing a great job on coverage. he did do a good job until the Purdue game. I was there and he was aweful. The 88 yard TD should never have happened. Hell, it should have been an int. There was one play where the Purdue WR got 10 yards behind him but Painter never saw him. Plus plenty of other poor coverage plays by D. Walls. No matter how much we want to support him, he was terrible on Saturday.

That being said, Walls will be great.

Guest NDLawJAG

Lambert has been one on one with the best reciever MSU had... Results one catch (his second reception was from the slot where they had a LB on him) for nine yards, two picks and a TD. Last week he got to cover Purdues best reciever, Bryant, who scorched us last year. Bryant had three receptions and no TDs. Lambert broke up a couple passes, forced a fumble, recovered a fumble that led to a touchdown and should have had another interception.

Stud may have been a little strong... But he is clearly living up to the hype he had coming into the year. Of course how much hype did he have considering he was burried in the depth chart. I would say that he has played better than any other corner other than Wooden this year.

Mike Richardson is BY FAR our most consistent player at DB. Walls shows signs of greatness, but he is a true freshman....and he still has a lot to learn. Wooden is a guy that is getting better, but he still makes too many mental mistakes and frequently looks bad against average players.