Fake punt vs PSU right or wrong?

dangeruss

It’s tough to excuse Weis’ moves

Donnie Collins

SOUTH BEND, Ind. -- In all of college football, there is no more blatant a contradiction, no more obvious a clash of mind and action, no better example of a coach who mixes brashness and brilliance so boldly.

It’s tough not to admire Charlie Weis for that. Because he’s the one with the attitude that helped down-in-the-dumps Notre Dame rebound to national dominance in one season.

So, why is it so hard for so many to admire him? Days like Saturday showed both sides, the Jeckyll-and-Hyde style of a mad genius. His game plan against a much-better-than-it-looked Penn State team showed his brilliance.

His offense ate up almost 20 minutes in the first half and left gasping for air a fast, tenacious Penn State defense that also happens to be undersized and a bit shallow in reserves. He used no-huddle on the opening drive. He milked every second off the play clock on the next. He went back to the no-huddle later. It was well-planned. It was unpredictable. It was typical Weis.

It got him a 27-0 lead with 28:58 to play, and by Weis’ own admission, he knew the Nittany Lions were cooked.

“At that time, I felt there was no way they were going to score four touchdowns,” Weis said. “I just didn’t feel there was any chance.”

No chance? OK. But Charlie needs to explain what happened when Notre Dame had a fourth-and-3 on the Penn State 48 with 6:10 to play in the third quarter, up 27-3.

A classy coach would have punted, especially when he admits he realized the game was won. Weis had the Irish line up to punt, but the snap went to backup tailback Travis Thomas, and the curiously timed fake went for 43 yards.

Again, OK. Charlie wanted to keep possession of the ball, and it hardly mattered if the fake got stuffed and Penn State took possession. After all, Charlie didn’t think Penn State could come back.

But Weis still needs to explain, once more, what happened next. It was fourth down, again, this time from the 1. Weis could have kicked a field goal for a 30-3 lead. Instead, he called for a pitch to Thomas, who got the last yard needed for a 33-3 lead.

For the record, Joe Paterno called it “a heck of a call.” But it doesn’t excuse the obvious.

“You’re playing not to just lay the wood on them, you’re playing to grind the clock,” Weis insisted. “As you know, I’m never one to try to score a hundred. That’s not my deal, anyway. My deal is to win the football game and win it the right way.”

Self-serving speeches about knowing what’s right should protect a coach when he doesn’t do what’s right. It probably hurts Penn State fans more than anything that, had Weis opted to punt the ball away, Notre Dame was still going to win the game.

It’s brilliance and brashness with Charlie Weis. When you have three Super Bowl rings and a revamped football program on your resume, you’ve earned the right to be both. When he’s your team’s coach, you’ve got the right to embrace the brilliance.

But, what Weis did Saturday is impossible to defend. And next year, when Notre Dame comes to Happy Valley to face an expected championship contender without Brady Quinn, Jeff Samardzija, Tom Zbikowski and four starting offensive linemen, don’t criticize Paterno if he takes the same liberties with good taste.

When you live by the brilliance, you can die by the brashness. That’s why Charlie Weis is so good. And why he isn’t for everybody.

ARTICLE-CLICK HERE

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Murph421

I think it was a good thing to do. It totally killed all (if any) life that PSU had at the time. We were up 27-0 sure, but if we punt, they get the ball and score, its 27-7. Penn State obviously didn't stop playing hard, so why should we? They were kicking onsides and calling timeouts under a minute in the fourth quarter.

We have not.. I doubt if we ever will run a game 50 60 points like some teams do. (disrespectful) We have been 20 plus up and lost in the past. It is a game. Any thing is good and allowed to cement a victory.

Then too, who cares what the other side thinks? They never considered our honor when smashing us in the past. :lol:

It's football Baby. We now know how to play it and Y'all are just green with envy :lol: :lol: :lol: :drunk: :clap: Soak it in Y'all will see lots more. :)

Is this a pennsylvania paper? Nobody seems to mind that PSU beat Ill 63-10 last year, or Central Mich 40-3. They also beat Minn. 44-14. In 2004 they beat Akron 48-10. I don't no if that is running up the score, but the margin of victory was greater than ND/PSU. The last one I'll bring up is in 2003 when PSU beat IU 52-7. :roll: :evil:

Nice Pete and Russ :D Yep how quickly they forget.

I can see it now in the huddle "Brady no one is lining up against me, hand off and i have a sure TD." I can't do that it would cause penn to get upset. :lol:

Guest Murph421

LOL! :lol:

Yeah Nobody seemed to care as Pete Carrol poured it on Arkansas in the second half two weeks ago. Scoring 20 points in the fourth quarter with the game well in hand at the end of the third; 30-7.

I've learned over the years to just accept it, alot of people hate Notre Dame, and now that we are having success alot more people hate Notre Dame. With that being said, if ND goes 12-0 and wins the National Title, I really won't care what anyone else thinks.

JoePa runs up the score all the time so I don't even want to hear any PSU fans pissing and moaning about the # of points we put up...if we really wanted to we could've scored at least one more TD. Also it's important to remember that in order to separate themselves from the pack the top teams need to put up big numbers week in and week out whenever they're able to. And in regards to the fake punt, I totally called that right before the ball was snapped, and now other teams will have to keep that in the back of their minds and will have to defend against it. I see nothing wrong with anything that the staff did on Saturday.

That's just media stoking. Making a phony controversy up to generate sales. Happens all the time. Ignore it. Besides, shouldn't the strategy be to run up the score every chance you get to improve your standing in the polls? I'll bet Auburn wishes they had done that a few times more a couple of years ago.

Guest irishrick

hey persuit. i agree 100 % keep up the good work auburn is a real good team and we could see them down the road, their like the irish don't embarrass the opponent just beat the heck out of them wait til the saturday night game is over. go irish :lol:

i was thinking about this before and was wondering what people thought about the possability of ND runnung up the score. personally i think ND should score whenever they can regardless of what the current score could be or wheather the game is in doubt or not, why not run up the score? towards the end of the year when teams have total points scored on the season, isnt that something that could either help or hurt a team in say a coaches poll? if ND was to score say 30-35 points a game, but the other top 5 teams average say 40-50+ a game, couldnt that then mean teams other than ND that are scoring more are then placed ahead of ND in a poll? which could also have an effect on the final standings at the end of the year to determine who could play for a national championship?

not only that, but ND scoring alot of points could also help in recruiting yes? and by also scoring alot its entertaining to the fans.

i know personally id love to see ND rack up 50+ a game, id love it. for years ive seen other top teams rack up 50+ and now that ND can score that much, then id love to see it.

Another thing. Tacking on some more points at that point in the game gives you a better chance to put in the second team for a full series or two. Which is exactly what happened from what I hear (I didn't get to see the game...NUTS!). You can't tell me Coach isn't already thinking of next year. It's not about running up the score. It's about doing some seasoning for the second team (and some of those freshmen) for later in the year .....and NEXT year.