OC Sanford's Redzone Philosophy

http://notredame.247sports.com/Article/Irish247-Extra-Points-April-13-36764932

Free Article

Probably the best thing I've heard all season:

As it pertains to red zone, the thing that I’ve had a chance to really understand and learn, a lot of people at offensively want to switch their paradigm when they get into the red zone and almost run a separate offense,” Sanford said. “Like, this is our red zone offense, this is our base offense.

“Well, the problem with that is there was 60 yards plus that you ate up by running schemes that are still good. So run what you run. You’ve got to be able to run the football down in the red zone. And the quarterback’s got to understand it’s touchdowns and checkdowns. That’s really what it is.

love it...I've always thought the same thing...you gotta be efficient in your offense where you can run the same offense whether you're in the red-zone, or on your own 5 yard line

There's an article in today's SBT where DL coach Keith Gilmore said after playing ND last year as NC's DL coach he assumed ND's line was based on a passing/finesse team. When he got here he found them a lot more physical than he thought and physical at the point of attack.

These kind of comments along with Sanford's make me believe that we're going to be a more run oriented team this year and that the spread option with the QB actually running is going to be a staple in our offense.

I will be very surprised if we see last year's offense this season. The LSU game changed the entire dynamic and it's going to continue into this season.

There's an article in today's SBT where DL coach Keith Gilmore said after playing ND last year as NC's DL coach he assumed ND's line was based on a passing/finesse team. When he got here he found them a lot more physical than he thought and physical at the point of attack.

These kind of comments along with Sanford's make me believe that we're going to be a more run oriented team this year and that the spread option with the QB actually running is going to be a staple in our offense.

I will be very surprised if we see last year's offense this season. The LSU game changed the entire dynamic and it's going to continue into this season.

This is the kool aid I want to drink and get drunk on every Saturday with a heavy dose of play action pass.

This is the kool aid I want to drink and get drunk on every Saturday with a heavy dose of play action pass.

No question. The play action can be so deadly I wished we utilized more. Guess you have to run better for it be effective.

I feel the same but I'll believe it when i see it. We started of that way last season. Some zone reading and then it started to shift back. I just want to beat the teams we are supposed to beat.

I feel the same but I'll believe it when i see it. We started of that way last season. Some zone reading and then it started to shift back. I just want to beat the teams we are supposed to beat.

Yeah when I see it for more than one bowl game then I'll believe it, until then it's all just hopes and dreams.

Kelly sure won't like that quote though almost like he's ripping on Kelly for his red zone playcalling which at times was very predictable.

I'll believe it when I see it too. Kelly has shown that when we are down a bit in a game, he will sh*t his pants, and the ball will get flung. Until he allows someone else to have more control of the offense, I just don't see him changing his stripes.

As a DC, I'd be harping on him constantly during coaching meetings, that the offense has to be able to give the D some recovery time. Chucking the ball all over the place doesn't eat up much for clock time.

I sure hope this is the case. I, firmly, believe Kelly getting way too pass happy led a lot to EG's 2nd half season demise. Give him a consistent running game and a renewed sense of confidence, and I think we'll see stud Everett again. Kelly has been raving about him all spring.

On another note, did anyone see the Doug Randolph comments. Apparently he is our answer for speed off of the DE. Yeah, a converted linebacker who is learning the position. That's disturbing.

Ya, because a position switch never works out for us...

http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I00000s3zyMcNgDM/s/600/600/8-8-Practice-5.jpg

http://www.uhnd.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/keivarae-russell-class12.jpg

Ya, because a position switch never works out for us...

http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I00000s3zyMcNgDM/s/600/600/8-8-Practice-5.jpg

http://www.uhnd.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/keivarae-russell-class12.jpg

Yep. An elite TE. You proved your point. An afterthought when comes to TEs at ND. REGARDLESS of draft position.

Will be a bust in NFL.

Edited by VCDomer

The field shrinks the closer the offense gets to the goal line and there is a lot less ground to cover. The safties are almost on the LOS and the LBs are filling gaps. That is why a lot of teams prefer to pass in the red zone.

Remember NDs goal line stands in the last few years? We loaded the box and teams could not score.

A balanced attack is much better than a one dimensional offense, run or pass.

Of course a 250 pound QB or RB helps but even that, a team with a NT like Nix wins most of the time.