Elmer, Prosise & Redfield do we believe the hype?

These are the three guys along with the newbie Tillery that are having the biggest transformation this spring according to reports.

" Steve Elmer has been the brightest spot on the OLINE and maybe on the entire offense , he's made a tremendous jump" according to denbrock

This would be so critical--Elmer caused me so much greif it was painful to watch much of the early season---so much of the pressure on Golson seemed to come over or around Elmer---If he truly has taken that HUGE jump it could be an enormous plus

Do we believe the hype?

Prosise--This guys is a great looking athlete as we all know--safety, WR, now RB----if we listen to the glowing reports he has been nothing short of the biggest surprise all spring---Folston & Bryant should be worried according to Kelly--they go on and on about his SPEED & BREAKAWAY ability as a RB---its only spring and Kelly already has him penciled in for ten carries a game at least---

Is he our new secret weapon --DO WE BELIEVE THE HYPE?

Redfield--safety one of our weakest positions in 2014--but according to reports REDFIELD has had the light go on--showing leadership at safety--having the best spring of any secondary player---playing like the 5 star we recruited at long last!

We need big help at safety and max could be it---DO WE BELIEVE THE HYPE?

Huge upgrade to our offensive punch if Prosise and Elmer are the real deal and god knows we need Redfield to be the 5 star for a defense with lots of issues......

Are you skeptical on these three as simply spring hope or do you buy into the build up?

aloha's

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Junior Jabbie says we should be wary.

But honestly, I am sure there is some truth to these things. But at the same time, it does raise some questions.

Prosise is one of your best offensive players, but it took you three seasons to figure that out?

On the other hand, the other two were 4 and 5*, top 100 type players. It shouldn't really be a surprise that they are doing well. Same sort of thing, I'd be more concerned if they weren't doing well, as that would reflect poorly on the coaches.

Edited by corysold

I quit listening to the coach praises a few years ago. Each year a few guys blow it up in the Spring / Fall, and then the ball gets kicked off and they don't see much of the field (though after earlier discussions, this may be playbook related...lol).

I am excited to see improvement, and I am hopeful that these guys (and everyone else on the team) blow it up.....but I believe the Spring praise about as much as I believe that Bigfoot farts Chemtrails.

I don't think Junior Jabbie or any of the other recent spring game stars were talked up a lot during practice, right? They just made the best out of a one time situation.

I read the SBT a lot and James and Hansen there seem to be observing the same thing. One thing to hear the coaches say it, but it is more encouraging to hear the local writers say the same thing from direct observation.

I quit listening to the coach praises a few years ago. Each year a few guys blow it up in the Spring / Fall, and then the ball gets kicked off and they don't see much of the field (though after earlier discussions, this may be playbook related...lol).

I am excited to see improvement, and I am hopeful that these guys (and everyone else on the team) blow it up.....but I believe the Spring praise about as much as I believe that Bigfoot farts Chemtrails.

This a billion times over. Look, Kelly gets the mic stuffed in his face - he's gotta say something. Coach speak or motivation for players behind the guy mentioned - whatever it is I wait for season opener to get excited...spring means very little to me - it's August reports I care about.

http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab140/daddymack/forumebaumsworldcom2014-9-5233725_zpse5e839cc.png

Joking. I agree. I bet he'd praise any player who's name is brought up. It's funny that guys like Jaylon Smith and Will Fuller--two potential AA's whose names we never hear about. I'm sure they'll outperform all of those guys receiving high praise.

Jalen Brown was praised last spring. Who else?

Mcglinchy was all world in the spring but took injuries for him to see the field

Bars was/is praised but he's clearly a back up.

Brent "Looked the part" so said Kelly

Tori Hunter, Memba him?

Jhonny Williams

Smythe and his "catch radius" still waiting

I want to say Mokwuah got a lot of praise last year as well but not sure.

No matter the hype, I always leave disappointed after the spring game. So I'm not buying anything until 6 games into the season.

Ryan Grant didn't even blow up until the NFL. He was lanky and stiff at ND.

I don't know if Grant is a good example of a late bloomer, like we are hoping Redfield and Elmer are. He had an awesome, 1000+ yard Sophomore year (if I remember correctly) and then became 2nd string again when the much better Julius Jones got back into school after training with his NFL brother for a season.

But on topic, I think Redfield is going to have a great year and have to consider the NFL after this, his Junior season. I think Elmer will look a lot better, just because the Oline as a whole will be better and much more athletic this year with Mcglinchey and Nelson starting.

I think Prosise has been misused and underutilized throughout his career. He began as a safety, and really I think he could have been great there. Drops have been a problem for him at receiver but when he gets the ball he is very talented. Kelly is hopefully going to find some ways to get him the ball in space with jet sweeps, screens and other misdirection type of plays.

Edited by Dardo
typo

I think when it comes to coach speak, when somebody asks him a question about a particular player he'll give a particular bread and butter answer. Like Brent, he looks the part. Now, if want to know who will get meaningful snaps, I've heard Kelly say, "he'll play." Again, not trying to give out to much info, just the basics. Also, it keeps that kid grounded so he doesn't think he'll get a ton of snaps but some. So, right now, I think Kelly has said Tillery will play. So expect some snaps from him. As for the bread and butter players, "he's looking good in practice, he's making plays etc." and he's a player trying to get meaningful snaps. Don't expect him too. Because he's still not doing enough in the coaches eyes to put a Guarentee on him getting plays. Just my opinion.

For me, Max needs to show me that he can perform mentally as much as physically. ND faces a wide variety of offenses this year and the safety spot is a thinking man's position - I know he has the physical tools so it doesn't surprise me that he looks great in practice. Now I want to see it in game situations

For me, Max needs to show me that he can perform mentally as much as physically. ND faces a wide variety of offenses this year and the safety spot is a thinking man's position - I know he has the physical tools so it doesn't surprise me that he looks great in practice. Now I want to see it in game situations

This just kills me. Whycome we can't ever find an athletic "Thinking" player like all the other good schools? I think Coach K over teaches at times. At some of his past coaching stops he may have had to do that to compensate for the lack of athletic ability. Here he has great athletes--let em run. A 7'2" center don't need a ton of post moves. It's a waste of time to obsess over it and would do more damage then good.

This just kills me. Whycome we can't ever find an athletic "Thinking" player like all the other good schools? I think Coach K over teaches at times. At some of his past coaching stops he may have had to do that to compensate for the lack of athletic ability. Here he has great athletes--let em run. A 7'2" center don't need a ton of post moves. It's a waste of time to obsess over it and would do more damage then good.

Wait a minute. You sound just like Calipari' and his philosophy. You don't come here to set screens and post up. Go to another school and do that. Well Calipari, you have 1 championship and Coach K has 5.

Wait a minute. You sound just like Calipari' and his philosophy. You don't come here to set screens and post up. Go to another school and do that. Well Calipari, you have 1 championship and Coach K has 5.

If you really wanna get technical, Coach K had only had 2 after as many seasons as Calipari has coached and if you really think Calipari won't win a couple in the next decade you are extremely biased...

If you really wanna get technical, Coach K had only had 2 after as many seasons as Calipari has coached and if you really think Calipari won't win a couple in the next decade you are extremely biased...

Will they also be taken away in those same 10 years. :) sorry back on topic.

I believe these three men will live up to the hype. And by the end of this year, people won't be questioning their ability to play.