What The Hell Happened Against USC

So I didn't really watch the USC game because the gf

and I was surprised to find out we were down 35-0...

I didn't really think about it till now, but WTH happened?!?!

the team isn't THAT bad, and we've beat USC 3 out of the last 4 (before 2014)

Was the team just run down from their losing streak? Why the hell don't we get up for a rival?

I have yet to watch that entire game because I don't feel like watching our boys getting their teeth kicked in

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do yourself a favor and don't watch it. To me it looked like a team that had quit on there coach, and that couldn't wait for the season to be done. The more important question is what happen between the USC game and the LSU game.

I think what Tom said was part of it. We had no pressure, guys couldn't get lined up and our Dbs couldn't keep up. We also had guys like Matuska playing big minutes along with Frosh Greer Martini in which both got injured that game. That alone should tell you exactly how bad the depth and our season became.

OklahomaIrish is exactly right about what happened to us against U$C. If Coach Kelly had played Zaire in the first quarter, the game would have been much closer than what it ended up being due to a better running game and a not-so-prepared-for-read-option defense from U$C. We will have our opportunity for redemption this season. I hope we take full advantage of it!

fack...I kept going on (to my USC friends; I only really talk **** to them lol) at the beginning of the year about how we would roll them...As the year progressed, I became more reserved, but I didn';t think it would be THAT bad..ughhh

thanks guys

I've wondered the same thing since the game ended. It only confused me even more after watching the bowl game and seeing how well we played and how motivated we were. USC wasnt that great, im sorry they just werent. It was clear our guys had zero emotion coming out of the tunnel and that continued the entire game. But that alone doesnt lead to this type of result. Was the matchup bad? Yes. Was the defense at an all time low with the injuries? Yes and I think that together was the perfect storm, USC as a team may not have been elite last year but their passing game was and that was just the wrong team at the wrong time against a young tired defense. That doesnt explain however how our offense didnt move the ball better.

The only other shellacking like that I've seen in the Kelly era was obviously the championship, this one was just so random it still baffles me that we lost that badly. The good news is these types of losses werent that irregular in the Davie/Ty/Weis era and now theyre so rare that they seem unexplainable.

Our defense was depleted. Golson was at his worse. USC was peaking. They could both run and pass. Lack of depth killed us. Malik did play well when he came in.

yup, Malik was 9-for-20 for 45 yards. He sure tore it up.

how many points we put on the board with him again?

entire team played like crap. was good for us though. gives them that feeling of embarrassment. hopefully they remember getting whooped by a rival like that in the future.

Edited by Parseghian's theorem

yup' date=' Malik was 9-for-20 for [b']45[/b] yards. He sure tore it up.

how many points we put on the board with him again?

Zaire passed for 170 yards against USC...

And he scored a rushing touchdown so the answer would be six points...

I think PT read the wrong stat line. 9 of 20 = 45 percent.

Att Comp Yds Pct Lng TD INT RAT Rush Att Yds Avg Lng

9 20 170 45.0 49 0 0 116.4 6 18 3.0 14

TD Raw QBR Adj QBR

1 79.7 87.6

yeah. 170 yards.

still we got our ****in brains beat in.

had he helped the team score 28-35 that would be a big deal.

6 points? golson would have turned in at least 1 TD drive as well eventually

and we didnt score agin until 2:30 to go in game.

zaire didnt do **** in that game.

all good points. But, am I the only one that thinks Kelly messed this up too? He should have tried to establish the run game. Instead, he got pass happy out of the gate, which resulted in multiple 3 and outs and left our already depleted defense on the field for what felt like the entire game. It also put us in a position (behind big) where all we could do was pass.

With the defense being decimated, I thought an approach where we ran the ball and controlled the clock would have worked better than slinging it. Worked for Boston College, and it worked against LSU.

Respectfully, I think that's the right answer 8-)

Hopefully we can all start to look forward to 2015 sometime real soon :) :tea:

agree 100 percent.

USC was the only game where really no one showed up at any point or for any given amount of time.

and hopefully LSU game showed us a new game model to be successful with the pieces in place.

now to improve at defending tempo ...:tea:

yeah. 170 yards.

still we got our ****in brains beat in.

had he helped the team score 28-35 that would be a big deal.

6 points? golson would have turned in at least 1 TD drive as well eventually

and we didnt score agin until 2:30 to go in game.

zaire didnt do **** in that game.

Its been a long time since I have commented on any of your insights. Thank you for reminding me why.