[ame]

[/ame]

Strengths

-Running the Football, carrying the ball securely

-Ability to make quick decisions

- short/Intermediate ball placement

- Leadership

Malik's Areas of improvement:

Throwing downfield with correct trajectory. Ball tends to get higher and shorter then he wants.

As you know, I'm a run first guy, so I like Malik's first positive trait.

I also can't ignore Golson's ability to throw the ball, 25 straight completions don't happen by accident, can't excuse the ball security troubles though.

In 2011, We thought Crist had a bigger upside because he threw the ball farther and was taller. That lasted all of one half of one game, as USF finished Dayne's ND career pretty much.

We'll see how it works out,

my guess: We start with Golson, and Malik ends of playing quite a bit as well..

Edited by FaithInIrishForever

Good analysis Faith, and I agree with a lot of what you're saying. It'll be interesting to see who ends up starting/playing more next season between the two. Make no mistake about it though, whoever doesn't start will not be happy. Still need to see if Golson is going to hang around or transfer also. Sure hope he sticks around.

The O line played like it was suppose to against LSU and Zaire and Golson looked good. No zone blocking.

Watch the Arizona St. game again and see how many of the turn overs were the fault of the O line. How many of the INTs were from tipped balls? All of them? The linemen are suppose to stay in contact with the defensive so that they can not jump up and block the pass.

Golson was hit from behind while throwing a pass that was picked off.

Four picks from last year was caused from good passes were missed by the receivers.

If Zaire is the starter, with the same results from the O Line, he will be replaced by Golson or Kizer.

We should have dominated in the run game last year (and the years before) but we didn`t. It wasn`t because of the RBs or who was calling the plays, it was the O Line.

Good analysis Faith, and I agree with a lot of what you're saying. It'll be interesting to see who ends up starting/playing more next season between the two. Make no mistake about it though, whoever doesn't start will not be happy. Still need to see if Golson is going to hang around or transfer also. Sure hope he sticks around.

That's why I think they'll give Golson every inclination he can start. So he comes into fall camp and its too late to transfer. I know he still technically can, but he's more likely to leave in May then August. If he waits until August he would not really have time to learn a new playbook

Malik would have to sit out a year if he transfers, so that's at least in his mind and he's already used a year of not playing. He might get mad, but its not a requirement for players to be happy all the time.

I know its less then honest but its the best odds of keeping both is if Golson is #1 right now..

That's why I think they'll give Golson every inclination he can start. So he comes into fall camp and its too late to transfer. I know he still technically can, but he's more likely to leave in May then August. If he waits until August he would not really have time to learn a new playbook

Malik would have to sit out a year if he transfers, so that's at least in his mind and he's already used a year of not playing. He might get mad, but its not a requirement for players to be happy all the time.

I know its less then honest but its the best odds of keeping both is if Golson is #1 right now..

I have thought the same thing myself Faith. Make it tougher for Golson to transfer. Honestly, I imagine he'll stay unless he's a surefire starter at another respectable D1 program. Still have a feeling South Carolina could come into the picture. Hope he stays though. Just can't get out of my mind how good the kid was in 2012 and the first half of last year.

There is a chance we had a lousy QB coach last year EG can regain his Heisman calibre form. Stop forcing a short qb to stand in the pocket.

that's true but when our throwing QB Golson is out he can't pull out his basketball spin move and try to act like Big Ben Roethlisberger.

Best thing EG can do is be decisive run the system and NEVER pull out the reverse spin move Fumble EVER again..

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/123855084" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

Interesting:

Notes: Everett, Coachable

Malik: Zealous to learn, great arm, coaching throwing mechanics(code: fixing that deep ball)

The O line played like it was suppose to against LSU and Zaire and Golson looked good. No zone blocking.

Watch the Arizona St. game again and see how many of the turn overs were the fault of the O line. How many of the INTs were from tipped balls? All of them? The linemen are suppose to stay in contact with the defensive so that they can not jump up and block the pass.

Golson was hit from behind while throwing a pass that was picked off.

Four picks from last year was caused from good passes were missed by the receivers.

If Zaire is the starter, with the same results from the O Line, he will be replaced by Golson or Kizer.

We should have dominated in the run game last year (and the years before) but we didn`t. It wasn`t because of the RBs or who was calling the plays, it was the O Line.

I certainly agree the offensive line had its problems and especially against Arizona State, still Golson did little to protect the ball. Part of the problem with the tipped balls is that he is simply just too short. In reality he is 5' 10'' tall. I do see a much improved offensive line in the making and that will in part take some pressure off both quarterbacks. I love Malik running read option. I think it is unstoppable most the time.

Real quick before my take on Malik and Golson; I am super excited about the QBs we have coming in, including Kizer

Kizer, who is a legit 6'5, and Wimbush who is a legit 6'3...I've been wanting a big body QB that can take the punishment and drive the pile when he needs to

So anyway...I've always been a Golson guy, and passing wise, he's a little better than Zaire, but Zaire can still fling it around and has just as strong an arm as Golson

The thing that makes me pick Zaire over Golson is Zaire feels more like a leader; he'll do what it takes to win, he leads by example, and he puts the team on his back and he full of emotion

You need a guy like that and people respond to it...I LOVED it when Zaire just ran right into the LSU defender to block for Folston...while he needs work on his blocking technique lol, he still did what it took to get Folston into the endzone

I really feel that Golson and Zaire are close in terms of technique; each being better than the other in certain areas....but the thing that puts Zaire ahead in my eyes is the above...the intangibles he has

I'm just tired of seeing Golson coming off the field wide-eyed...reminds me of Crist...great kid, and great leader when things are going well, but as soon as things go bad, they have this "deer in the headlights" look

Some part of me thinks this was Kelly's fault...Perhaps Kelly was too hard on them that it makes them think too much...a lot of times, people don't respond well to being chastised after every mistake..so they get this look in their eyes and can't get out of that hole

attachment.php?attachmentid=1095&stc=1&d=1428076467

Above you see Malik throwing a bit up hill. The throwing shoulder is lower then the lead shoulder. I would think this is what causes the extra height on long passes

Below Everett's got that front shoulder tucked, weight loaded ready for lever, transfer and throw.

To me EG's got better upbody mechanics and Malik knows what to do in terms of footwork.

Ideally one fixes something and is very good.

-Everett needs to (like he is the picture) step up in the pocket use that arm, and Stop BAILING OUT, if you don't intend to run, your Offensive Line is your FRIEND.

- Malik its just shorten up a little, tuck that front shoulder and throw with your core instead of just your arm..

305637649_releasepoint.thumb.jpg.fdd336f142affae23786fbe7dfdabfb8.jpg

Hey Faith, in your experience, is it even possible to teach out bad throwing mechanics or bad habits altogether?

I guess with hours and hours to establish muscle memory, anything is possible...BUT, when you're under pressure or making split decisions, I find that most people just go back to what was taught to them at an early age and that has been ingrained in their head

Same thing applies to Golson's penchant for coughing up the ball...that's just the way he runs with the ball....when he's dodging 300lb linemen that wants to rip his head off, his instinct will be to run with the ball away from his body...I think it's tougher for a QB to drop bad ball-carrying habits because they're not just concentrating on ball protection like RBs do

what do you think?

I've never coached a QB. But like you said they didn't completely fix Tim Tebows throwing Mechanics, BUT they got a bit better, and he was a college phenom. To me Malik and Tim have some similarities.

EG would seem to be a bit easier. It starts with his starting position(when he has both hands on the ball). His hands are a little low, so when his hands break the ball is lower, making it a habit to have the ball at his side. It takes and extra movement to get the ball back up under his arm

Malik's hands are higher to start. His second movement puts the ball in safe position(high and tight so to speak).

Fumbling is to me a bigger problem and more fixable, time will tell if it can be fixed.