What happens if we are not down to 85?

Everything I read says we are at 90 now. Transfers might happen, medical redshirts might happen, people might not be asked back, etc.

But what happens if we take a couple of gambles asking Grace or Carlisle back, etc, and then no one transfers and no one gets hurt.

How do we get to 85 in August? Just curious as I don't think we have ever had this problem.

We've never had this problem before so maybe it is a sign of good things to come. These medical hardships and transfers usually happen, there might be less than usual but there will still be a couple. If not by some miracle someone will get kicked out of school for breaking some sort of rule.

I'm sure Kelly will make the right decisions if it comes down to it. I don't expect guys on the brink of not being asked back will make too much of an impact anyways.

Everything I read says we are at 90 now. Transfers might happen, medical redshirts might happen, people might not be asked back, etc.

But what happens if we take a couple of gambles asking Grace or Carlisle back, etc, and then no one transfers and no one gets hurt.

How do we get to 85 in August? Just curious as I don't think we have ever had this problem.

Serious answer? The incoming freshmen, EE's excluded, technically don't have initial scholarships yet. Not until they attend class. So, 4 EE's already have their scholly's completely. After that, you have 20 that you have committed scholly's to, but you have to have them to follow through. If you only have 19 scholly's available after accounting for transfers, 5th years, etc, then you have one kid show up on campus to start school, and he doesn't have a scholarship. You kick him out. He cannot attend. You've broken your promise. ND would be LAMBASTED in the sports world. It's worse than greyshirting a kid. You tell him AFTER signing day that he doesn't have a scholarship.

Theoretically, you could have the kid go to prep school for a year like Hargrave Academy, they play this season there, and then in winter, enroll at ND with a scholarship, and count towards next year's class. That's greyshirting. Most likely, the kid would be so angry he wouldn't go with that, he'd look for a scholarship open anywhere else, take it, or go JUCO, and then re-recruit for next year, without considering ND, and the press would be AWFUL for ND.

Ultimately, it's not an issue. What will happen is simply that 5th year guys won't get an athletic scholly for their 5th year and will move on, in order to accomodate the incoming freshmen. Even if a guy like Amir, Jarrett, etc, could help us, they would be essentially told good luck, and wouldn't be on the team. I'm sure ND would find a way for them to academically attend the school as a show of good faith, but they would not be allowed to join the team on scholarship. They'd have to pay their own way to play.

ND has to be at 85 in August. I'm sure that a lot of the potential 5th years know that they are practicing this spring with no guarantee of being on the team in the summer.

I think they are gonna tell some underclassmen that they aren't gonna get to see the field at ND. So after spring some guys are going to see where they stand depth wise

I have it us down to 89 including Ishaq. so i could guys like Matuska, Chase, Ishaq, huererman (sp) harrell, Mokwuwah, Kelly's favorite Brent, Deeb, Tori hunter leaving for one reason or another. It's down to a manageable point now.

I think they are gonna tell some underclassmen that they aren't gonna get to see the field at ND. So after spring some guys are going to see where they stand depth wise

I have it us down to 89 including Ishaq. so i could guys like Matuska, Chase, Ishaq, huererman (sp) harrell, Mokwuwah, Kelly's favorite Brent, Deeb, Tori hunter leaving for one reason or another. It's down to a manageable point now.

Why would Hunter want to leave? He started to show signs of becoming a real playmaker last year. It's not like he rode the pine because he wasn't good, he was just injured most of his career up until mid last season.

Why would Hunter want to leave? He started to show signs of becoming a real playmaker last year. It's not like he rode the pine because he wasn't good, he was just injured most of his career up until mid last season.

Just a thought that's all. Kelly hasn't been a fan of his guys playing second sport. Maybe Tori thinks his future is baseball. Just brainstorming.

I wonder if the 5th years could walk on if they could pay their own way? Seems like kind of a shady deal, but I would think that would be within the rules

It's possible. Not many guys have $60-70k floating around that they could pay a year out of pocket to do so. You do run into issues with the ncaa sometime of guys who have been on scholly for 4 years and all of a sudden paying their own way being disallowed. It's a weird slope that essentially never happens. If a guy was recruited before attending, and then joins the team, they generally have to account as a scholly.

Matuska has been running with the starters this spring. Many of the others are easily in the two deep, also.