Tillery, Russell & Redfield

Defensive will determine what kind of team we have this season IMHO , the predictably good offense only takes you so far , we simply CANNOT win 10 or more without a HUUUGE upgrade in our defensive play.

These three are the KEYs in my view.

Russell is a couple of months away from getting the all clear to return---adding an NFL talent as our #1 CB is a critical need , when RIGGS struggled last season cornerback took a GIANT STEP DOWN---

If things go as planned and we get a healthy RUSSELL back the help would be immeasurable.

In addition, we really need to add a true STAR to the defensive line and TILLERY seems to have that potential---If we can believe Kelly , " he is a unique talent and one of the best prospects he's coached" that sets a high bar but if we get over it the effect on the defense could be substantial.

We have seen with Stephan, LOU and even Lynch what even a YOUNG STAR can add to the defensive line---its possible to have a gigantic synergistic effect when added to the established players----

If TILLERY performs as billed we could be ready to add that defensive star.

Safety has been a trouble spot but we have a 5 star player that's coming off a strange season----in the dog house or on the bench toward the end of the season yet having ihs BEST DEFENSIVE GAME coming back against LSU--

These three guys could dramatically change the defensive prospects for 2015--

Keivarae--a successful return to the team and to form is critical

Tillery----wow, if we get back one of those defensive stars we lost to the NFL, it WILL be a HYPERBOOST to this defense.

Redfield--if he finally can begin to play like the 5 star we recruited we have great chances to fill that other safety spot with decent play and change the dynamic at one of our most poorly performing positions.

MLB is a big question no doubt with guys struggling to come back from injuries and niles morgan needing way more development to become a real asset----

BUT ..... IF WE CAN UPGRADE CB WITH KIEVARAE

.............IF WE CAN ADD STAR TALENT TO THE DLINE WITH JERRY

.............IF WE CAN GET MAX TO BE WHAT WE HOPED FOR AT SAFETY

If we can get all three of those boosts---the prospects for a better then average defense to compliment our offense would be greatly enhanced.

DEFENSE will determine how far we go in 2015....

These three guys may determine how much the defense can step up this season.

Hopefully there are no setbacks, we get the TRIFECTA. and we see STAR PLAY from all of them.

aloha's

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still a fan and excited about BVG's defense. I expect him to be better prepared for uptempo offenses and I love the speed we now have.

Tillery has more talented people in front of him then Tuitt, Nix and Lynch had so I don't see an instant impact from him. But if Jones don't fully recover or Day's yearly injury strikes early he might get the nod. We don't land a ton of High rated dlinemen so it may serves us better to RS him. IMO

I'm still a fan and excited about BVG's defense. I expect him to be better prepared for uptempo offenses and I love the speed we now have.

Tillery has more talented people in front of him then Tuitt, Nix and Lynch had so I don't see an instant impact from him. But if Jones don't fully recover or Day's yearly injury strikes early he might get the nod. We don't land a ton of High rated dlinemen so it may serves us better to RS him. IMO

I agree. I really don't think the tempo is what hurt BVG last year. Maybe it didn't help matters, but it wasn't the main cause. The main cause was injury and having to play loads of freshmen in the defensive front 7. That would have been a disaster no matter how fast the other teams played.

The tempo worked because ND couldn't stop anyone to begin with halfway through the year. It made the problem look worse, but it wasn't the problem. Tempo doesn't work if you stop a team on 1st or 2nd down.

But this year he has a much more experience D-Line with upperclassmen to start and experienced sophomores to back up. If Tillery can make an impact, great, but as a Freshman, that will be a bonus, not a necessity like last year.

Well, even if Jones comes back in top form and Day can stay healthy, what a great sub to have. These guys all need to take breaks.

True but he has to beat out guys like Cage, Hayes and Rochell who all have been through the wars. if he's better then those guys--play him.

I'm tired of sitting top level talent. We need to work guys in earlier both to get them real time reps and alleviate work loads for individual players...

Then we need start blowing some teams out.

What really burns my butt is that the guy who gets hurt on defense is always the single key to our defensive success. Collingsworth got hurt before the season and BK was saying he was the guy who got the defense set. Then Schmidt goes out and he was glue. Lets get everyone clued in:-)

I'm tired of sitting top level talent. We need to work guys in earlier both to get them real time reps and alleviate work loads for individual players...

I agree with this notion. We now have the depth to add these really young talented guys in key spots/situations. These guys should have special packages just for them until they learn the playbook.

As for Hawaii's post, I usually like having key players at every level to help win games. This year I'll go with Day, Smith, and Russell. We have the foundations and then some.

Fan of Tillery but don't think he will be a big impact this year given our D-Line Depth. We are pretty solid...I think he'll get meaningful minutes but the 2 deep with Day and Jones leading the way will be key.

Day, Jones, Cage, Hayes.

As much as everyone is keying on players - I think this year will be on how well they perform as a team with each doing his part.

Except we all know Drue Tranquill walks on water.

Edited by Domer Dude

True but he has to beat out guys like Cage, Hayes and Rochell who all have been through the wars. if he's better then those guys--play him.

I don't think he will have to fight with Rochell and Hayes for time. Cage and Mokuah. I think Rochell and Hayes both play a different role/position than Tillery.

I agree. I really don't think the tempo is what hurt BVG last year. Maybe it didn't help matters, but it wasn't the main cause. The main cause was injury and having to play loads of freshmen in the defensive front 7. That would have been a disaster no matter how fast the other teams played.

The tempo worked because ND couldn't stop anyone to begin with halfway through the year. It made the problem look worse, but it wasn't the problem. Tempo doesn't work if you stop a team on 1st or 2nd down.

But this year he has a much more experience D-Line with upperclassmen to start and experienced sophomores to back up. If Tillery can make an impact, great, but as a Freshman, that will be a bonus, not a necessity like last year.

The 1st half of the season, including the FSU game, our defense was great.

The injuries killed the defense. Some positions were playing 3rd string players and they had very few snaps in VanGorder`s defense and against up-tempo offenses.

Losing Schmidt in the middle hurt more than most expected. Replacing him with a freshman just didn`t work.

I have never heard of a team having so many injuries, and suspensions, all on the defensive side. There was one WR but the defense could not overcome the losses. Blaming BVG or Kelly is mostly from ill informed fans.

Kelly--" Far and away the story is jerry tiller, he is a unique player, one that I can't remember that I've coached"---running with the first team defense

Now we all know Kelly's tendency to puff up this player or that--but that quote rings like MORE THEN PUFFERY---it is a coach that has been most impressed by a player..

Defensive line is one of the BEST positions for a great player to have immediate impact as an early entry, its simply not the learning spot of so many other positions.

Even if the YOUNG STAR only has stamina for so many snaps , a great player can play great early at that position for the snaps he gets.

TILLERY WILL NOT REDSHIRT IMO barring injury of course . He can be the FIRE PLUG that takes the pressure off Day & Jones----I already expect MORE from Tillery then Cage or Mukwah (sp)---he can be a difference maker that simply rotating lots of OK players will not get you!!

Color me with HIGH EXPECTATIONS for jerry in this season--

THE DEFENSE WILL NEED HIM

aloha

Kelly--" Far and away the story is jerry tiller, he is a unique player, one that I can't remember that I've coached"---running with the first team defense

aloha

There is a long list of players CBK has talked up that fail to match the hype or even struggle to see the field. Either way I'm fine.

Yea I hear you on that davislove, Kelly does that regularly.

Maybe its just wishful believing on my part because the defense NEEDS STARS, needs help in a big way .

Tillery was one of our best recruits an early entry and even though we have lots of bodies after the starting group IMO the talent level could easily be overcome but an UBERTALENTED frosh.....

I will hold on to hopeful expectations that this time coach is on target and we have a special player to boost that dline.

aloha's