Golic, Wood & Fox in NFL Veteran Draft

Found out these three are participating in the first ever NFL veteran combine.

Cierre smoked himself out of the league, but no denying he has the ability to be a #2 or #3 back for a team... From there...crazier things have happened- however I think Woods biggest activity will be proving to coaches he's ready to be a pro and pull a check. Expect a team that's up against the cap and in need of depth takes a nibble (New Orleans, Giants, Buccs, Seahawks)

Golic Jr. - He has played in smaller professional leagues and would certainly be a benefit for a teams community/public relations- San Diego went thru about 4 centers last year and while Golic ideally has spent the past 2 years to heal, grow and refine technique- CHI, SD, DET, TB, MIA

Fox - Danny had a run with the Giants linebacking unit...With more teams using the 3-4, Fox could be a nice fit as an ILB and special teams contributor- Will need to run well, but hometown Cleveland should take a sniff...Oakland, Jets, Bills and Bears also are changing defensive coordinators and new faces in new places breeds coaches falling for try hard guys like Dan...

Any other Irish players out there that you know are bouncing around looking to get back into NFL...

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not really a draft so much as a showcase for someone to earn a spot in training camp.

If Cierre has cleaned up his act and kept in shape, I agree he has a shot as a #2, #3 back but there are plenty of options out there at RB and he would have to distinguish himself.

Mike Golic Jr may have a shot. He did stick with the Steelers for awhile and was given a second look by the Saints before bouncing around other leagues.

If I remember right, Dan Fox had a pretty good pro day last year, better than most expected. He was the last of the three to be active on an NFL roster.

Outside of Brady Quinn, I can't think of anyone else taking a shot at making an NFL roster.

If Cierre has cleaned up his act and kept in shape, I agree he has a shot as a #2, #3 back but there are plenty of options out there at RB and he would have to distinguish himself.

Runs a low 4.4 with great vision and is pretty durable... I've always been a fan of Cierre even though he is kindofa dummy.

If Cierre didn't get kicked off the team and got that start he would have been tough to keep out of the line up. One of my favorite ND players, never thought we used him enough in 2012, and think he would have been huge for us in 2013.

Hope he gets a chance cause he is the full package. He'll beat you with his speed, he'll run you over, or he'll break your ankles. We've pumped out some good backs in Wood, Riddick, and Gray. We have 3 guys who should follow suit as well.

I think someone will give Wood a shot atleast I hope someone does, not sure the other guys will get a look though.

Let's be real. If Wood was as good as you guys are making him out to be, he'd be on a team right now. Plenty of guys have done worse things than him and are still on NFL rosters.

If he was good enough, his actions would be overlooked, since he is on the border of needed ability, they are holding him back.

Let's be real. If Wood was as good as you guys are making him out to be, he'd be on a team right now. Plenty of guys have done worse things than him and are still on NFL rosters.

If he was good enough, his actions would be overlooked, since he is on the border of needed ability, they are holding him back.

I need to make a gold coloured glasses graphic for homerism as such...

Found out these three are participating in the first ever NFL veteran combine.

Cierre smoked himself out of the league, but no denying he has the ability to be a #2 or #3 back for a team... From there...crazier things have happened- however I think Woods biggest activity will be proving to coaches he's ready to be a pro and pull a check. Expect a team that's up against the cap and in need of depth takes a nibble (New Orleans, Giants, Buccs, Seahawks)

Golic Jr. - He has played in smaller professional leagues and would certainly be a benefit for a teams community/public relations- San Diego went thru about 4 centers last year and while Golic ideally has spent the past 2 years to heal, grow and refine technique- CHI, SD, DET, TB, MIA

Fox - Danny had a run with the Giants linebacking unit...With more teams using the 3-4, Fox could be a nice fit as an ILB and special teams contributor- Will need to run well, but hometown Cleveland should take a sniff...Oakland, Jets, Bills and Bears also are changing defensive coordinators and new faces in new places breeds coaches falling for try hard guys like Dan...

Any other Irish players out there that you know are bouncing around looking to get back into NFL...

CW is just too slight for the NFL. Can't take the constant pounding. Enjoyed watching him at ND! Also ... BUCS were $43M under the cap and have backfield that consists of Doug Martin, Bobby Rainey, Charles Sims and Mike James. All better pro RBs than CW. Not sure where you got that info

CW is just too slight for the NFL. Can't take the constant pounding. Enjoyed watching him at ND! Also ... BUCS were $43M under the cap and have backfield that consists of Doug Martin, Bobby Rainey, Charles Sims and Mike James. All better pro RBs than CW. Not sure where you got that info

I think the least of Cierre's worries is the constant pounding. At this point he'd take whatever he can get.

These guys will likely never be feature players. They are just looking to get in the game and I hope they all get their shot.

Edited by Domer Dude

Wood weighs about 220 and during his time at ND consistently ran through tackles...

He ripped up the preseason and right before he got kicked off the Texans I believe was going to be the second string back. Granted it was because of an injury he's still the type of player that just needs the chance.

Wood weighs about 220 and during his time at ND consistently ran through tackles...

He ripped up the preseason and right before he got kicked off the Texans I believe was going to be the second string back. Granted it was because of an injury he's still the type of player that just needs the chance.

Ripping it up is under 50 yards a game? Against scrubs?