Hegarty Transferring

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like a result based on all the talent we've recruited on the o-line the last couple of years. Stable, Mcglinchey and Martin are forsure starters so there is lots of young guys who can step up.

I'm hoping for John Montelus as I've hyped him up since we got him to sign. Maybe Bivin will step up, maybe Bars, and Nelson will probably be put somewhere as he is too good.

That 2013 class was amazing on the o-line and we've yet to see them play much at all. Hoping this is the year and the year we see that o-line bully teams and make them beg for mercy in the fourth quarter.

I wonder how this shook out. He was the starting center...

BK must have made it clear they were going to make a change. It always sucks to lose a starter, but we have to hope that Martin moves to Center and Nelson steps in.

Edit - I read after I posted. They definitely let him know. Interesting. I hope it is not the case of the grass is always greener...

Edited by irishrush

ND is seemingly over on numbers right now, so either guys like Barratti and Grace aren't coming back, or some 5th years who might have played aren't coming back. Given that safety has no 2nd string right now and O-Line is loaded, I'm guessing Barratti wins out over Hegarty.

I wonder how this shook out. He was the starting center...

BK must have made it clear they were going to make a change. It always sucks to lose a starter, but we have to hope that Martin moves to Center and Nelson steps in.

Edit - I read after I posted. They definitely let him know. Interesting. I hope it is not the case of the grass is always greener...

Hegarty mentioned that Kelly asked him to change positions and that they wanted to add to the rotation with younger players.

I'm not surprised by this at all. I know some posters were pegging Hegarty as a starter, but I always thought there would be a decent chance he wouldn't be asked back or he would decide to transfer on his own. Too many 5th year guys and not enough spots. Especially on the offensive line. Don't be surprised if this is the first of a few 5th year transfers. Guys wanna play, and someone like Hegarty won't have trouble finding suitable schools.

I am excited for whoever wins that G/C spot though. Kelly has talked up the young guys quite a bit.

Color me a little surprised. Probably a numbers issue. Either way, I wish him the best of luck going forward and interested to see how this will shake the oline up.

I agree.

I hope they do a better job of personnel management in the future.

I agree.

I hope they do a better job of personnel management in the future.

I think this is the new future for awhile. Redshirt a bunch of kids. When they become 5th years, take the very best and turn away some good players. Kids are still getting a ND degree, but they aren't being kept around simply because they have a year left.

The very best will still be welcomed back, but the good and average will be replaced by "hopefully" equally/more talented players.

Better to have too many good players than not enough. I think it is actually a pretty good strategy. Have 6-8 5th years you'd consider bringing back, see where the team needs some depth and bring back those players. This year, the team needs safeties desperately. So you bring in a 5th year, bring back Baratti and turn away a lineman, a spot you are stacked. Next year, LB might be thin so you take who you can.

Think of it like a 5th year JUCO strategy.

Edited by corysold