Lent

Protestant or Catholic, Lent starts tomorrow. I know the observances are different for Catholics, but for those of you who are interested in sharing, what do you intend to abstain from for the Lenton season?

In the past I have given up meat, smoking, and alcohol. I am not sure what I need to abstain from this year.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife and I usually each give something up, for me this year, it is my biggest vice, sweets. Always more difficult than it would seem.

We also add something in to our lives, this year we are going to recite a Chaplet of Divine Mercy before bed together each night.

I'd also be interested to know how Protestants differ from Catholics with Lent, I'm only familiar with the Catholic version.

My wife and I usually each give something up, for me this year, it is my biggest vice, sweets. Always more difficult than it would seem.

We also add something in to our lives, this year we are going to recite a Chaplet of Divine Mercy before bed together each night.

I'd also be interested to know how Protestants differ from Catholics with Lent, I'm only familiar with the Catholic version.

I am not sure how up to date my information is but my understanding is Catholics are forbidden meat on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday, and I have read all Wednesdays and Fridays.

Additionally, I am not sure if the Catholics follow the 46, 44 or 40 day Lent period but most protestants that I am aware of follow the 40 day calendar (Sundays off). I know Okie and a couple others can speak to the Catholic side better than I can.

I am not sure how up to date my information is but my understanding is Catholics are forbidden meat on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday, and I have read all Wednesdays and Fridays.

Additionally, I am not sure if the Catholics follow the 46, 44 or 40 day Lent period but most protestants that I am aware of follow the 40 day calendar (Sundays off). I know Okie and a couple others can speak to the Catholic side better than I can.

Catholics follow the 40 day calendar and take Sunday's off as well.

Instead of giving something up this year I have promised to walk across the street each day and go before the Blessed Sacrament to pray for things this world is in need of. I worry about those being beheaded and burned to death. I think we are headed for some real troubling times. In fact, I think we are nearing the Tribulations.

Instead of giving something up this year I have promised to walk across the street each day and go before the Blessed Sacrament to pray for things this world is in need of. I worry about those being beheaded and burned to death. I think we are headed for some real troubling times. In fact, I think we are nearing the Tribulations.

There are certainly a lot of signs pointed in that direction. The rise of Isis heralds a lot of bad things and for every victory for believers abroad there are thousands of mutilations and murders. Good for you Okie, God's blessings to you and your family.

Catholics follow the 40 day calendar and take Sunday's off as well.

Good to know. Most Protestants don't observe Ash Wednesday by getting the traditional ash on the forehead like Catholics do, I know there are a number of other ceremonial things that differ, but I guess Google will have to answer some of them for me. Stupid internet.

Not all Catholics take Sundays off. Also, we fast every Friday, not just Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. Fasting is more than meat. It involves eating 2 small meals (1/2 size), one regular meal, and no smacking between meals.

I plan on:

- giving up candy (something we do as a family)

- reading a bible story with the family every night after dinner

- giving up netflix/hbogo and replacing with 20-30 minutes of religious reading

- taking my kids to a soup kitchen at least once

- drinking 1-2 less beers than I normally would in any given situation

- staying away from shows or media that promotes degradation of women

- going to Thursday morning mass at least twice during lent

- hitting every mass during Holy Week

I need to be more like some of you folks. Seriously. Kudos, I was raised with God, but haven't been a good Christian for some time. My kids are in a private/Lutheran school and daycare, but we only go to church a few times a year. I need to change that.

I have grown to really like the Lent season for many reasons that others do not like about it. I love sacrificing something, meat on certain days, and fasting on certain days in recognition of the 40 days our savior did in the desert also. Leading up to his resurrection 40 days later and the complete launch of Christianity as we know it and the Catholic Church. It really is a beautiful time of the Christian calendar that I encourage all to take notice and maximize the season.

Love these threads. My 10 year old son has voluntarily given up all desserts. My 6 year old daughter is giving up video games. As a family we are going to say the rosary once a week. We are also going to try and do one random act of kindness for someone else each day and then talk about it at dinner.

I need to be more like some of you folks. Seriously. Kudos, I was raised with God, but haven't been a good Christian for some time. My kids are in a private/Lutheran school and daycare, but we only go to church a few times a year. I need to change that.

Nick - it seems easy. Hit church during lent and see what happens :)

For those with younger kids, we have them make a list of their favorite things at the start of Lent. Then each day, they choose one off the list to give up for that day. Similar spirit, but a little easier for a 3-7 year old to understand 1 day vs 40.