Grading the 2015 Class

What are your opinions? 24 signees with 4 EEs and 4 preferred walk-ons. Like mentioned in the other thread ND finished #13 overall on 247 Composite and #6 overall in player average rating. ND has missed on a pass rushing DE and elite safety 2 years in a row. If you add Mekhi Brown and Marvell Tell (or similar quality) to this class it becomes #6 overall and stays #6 in player average.

My personal grades:

QB: A, excellent prospect with all the tools and size

RB: B+, 2 very good to great RBs with complementing styles, I think Adams can be great and could raise this grade

WR: A+, excellent quality and depth, bringing in the full range of prospects

TE: A, elite player with all the tools, could prove to be A+++

OL: B-, based on numbers it is lower but Hoge is the #1 C and Ruhland reminds me of Watt which is needed

DL: B, plenty of upside but no one with obvious dynamic immediate impact, Tillery could change this

LB: A, excellent quality and variety, all needs addressed

CB: B-, Crawford is excellent but the others need to prove themselves, Coleman has potential to shine like KVR

S: D, need a FS and struck out and White isn't proven enough to raise the grade

K: A, best kicker in the country

Overall I give ND a 'B' to 'B+' grade this year. Very good class that adds immediate talent and depth. The quality of the players is excellent, ND just needs 2 more...pass rushing DE and a high end safety. Now factoring in the year ND had on the field ND did exceptional. If ND can put two 10 win years together they will win some of these questionable battles and be even better.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A really good assessment I think. Overall, I would give this class of recruits a solid B, although I wasn't aware our player average rating was #6. That is pretty impressive. Factor in the season we had and I think this class gets the B+ For sure.

It is my opinion that this is the class that will put ND back up into the elite realm. I don't think there are many kids in this class that will flake out and leave for odd reasons (girlfriend, sick grandmother, too much competition at a position, didn't take the appropriate courses to be allowed to enroll). I'll bet that the 4 star kids in this group perform like 4 star kids throughout their playing careers, and some of the 3 star guys will step up.

The 2012 recruiting class was not as highly ranked, and many of the higher-ranked guys left. The 2013 class had tremendous talent, and the 2014 class had players who have already gained significant game experience.

The talent will be on campus in August. Let's hope the coaching can showcase the talent appropriately.

Agree with most of those, although for arguments sake:

QB: A+ (no better prospect for ND than Wimbush. None. He's my #1 in this class for our offense)

RB: B+

WR: A- (just missing that one truly elite dude)

TE: A+ (can't do much better than the best. Complements the guys we already have)

OL: C+ (more a product of success in previous classes so low numbers and Tillery to DL. Hoge is obviously elite)

DL: B (like you said, tillery is wildcard. No elite rush end)

LB: A+ (again just can't do any better IMO)

DB: B (I personally have trouble separating CB/S when everyone except for Crawford has positional versatility. All big, long dudes who play physical. Lack that elite safety)

K: A+ (I don't know if I've ever been impressed by a HS kicker like Yoon at the AA game. And he wasn't 100%)

So I'll give ND a solid B+. I'm a fair bit higher on some guys than the recruiting services might be (Wimbush, Coleman, Wallace, Mykelti) and I really like that a few of those three stars are huge DL with athleticism (MDT, Tiassum, Taylor). Building serious and quality DL depth.

And I gotta say, damn are some of these kids impressive. Dudes like Tillery, ESB, Coleman, Hoge, etc... make me embarrassed of what I was like at their age. Extremely well-rounded kids.

Add one elite edge rusher and a stud safety and this class was a homerun.

On to 2016!

An article in my local newspaper today just glowed about TCU's recruiting class. They brought in two legitimate 4 star players, and two others who are 4 star recruits on some websites. Over the last 7 years (7 years!) TCU has had 23 4 star recruits.

TCU finished 3rd in the polls this year.

Recruiting makes a difference. Coaching makes a difference. What teams you play makes a difference.

I am very very happy with ND's recruiting class this year. If this staff cannot win with the guys they have on campus in August, it may be time to consider staff changes.

Big - good stuff as usual. I'd probably lower he DL grade a bit. It sounds like BK is satisfied with this haul and a few of them might turn out to be very good, but none of them are at the difference maker level right now. I do think at the end of the day, this class has a chance to be one of our better ones when we look back.

Agree with most of those, although for arguments sake:

QB: A+ (no better prospect for ND than Wimbush. None. He's my #1 in this class for our offense)

RB: B+

WR: A- (just missing that one truly elite dude)

TE: A+ (can't do much better than the best. Complements the guys we already have)

OL: C+ (more a product of success in previous classes so low numbers and Tillery to DL. Hoge is obviously elite)

DL: B (like you said, tillery is wildcard. No elite rush end)

LB: A+ (again just can't do any better IMO)

DB: B (I personally have trouble separating CB/S when everyone except for Crawford has positional versatility. All big, long dudes who play physical. Lack that elite safety)

K: A+ (I don't know if I've ever been impressed by a HS kicker like Yoon at the AA game. And he wasn't 100%)

So I'll give ND a solid B+. I'm a fair bit higher on some guys than the recruiting services might be (Wimbush, Coleman, Wallace, Mykelti) and I really like that a few of those three stars are huge DL with athleticism (MDT, Tiassum, Taylor). Building serious and quality DL depth.

And I gotta say, damn are some of these kids impressive. Dudes like Tillery, ESB, Coleman, Hoge, etc... make me embarrassed of what I was like at their age. Extremely well-rounded kids.

Add one elite edge rusher and a stud safety and this class was a homerun.

On to 2016!

compliments for the correct usage of complements.

Also appreciate the analysis - thanks!

What are your opinions? 24 signees with 4 EEs and 4 preferred walk-ons. Like mentioned in the other thread ND finished #13 overall on 247 Composite and #6 overall in player average rating. ND has missed on a pass rushing DE and elite safety 2 years in a row. If you add Mekhi Brown and Marvell Tell (or similar quality) to this class it becomes #6 overall and stays #6 in player average.

My personal grades:

QB: A, excellent prospect with all the tools and size

RB: B+, 2 very good to great RBs with complementing styles, I think Adams can be great and could raise this grade

WR: A+, excellent quality and depth, bringing in the full range of prospects

TE: A, elite player with all the tools, could prove to be A+++

OL: B-, based on numbers it is lower but Hoge is the #1 C and Ruhland reminds me of Watt which is needed

DL: B, plenty of upside but no one with obvious dynamic immediate impact, Tillery could change this

LB: A, excellent quality and variety, all needs addressed

CB: B-, Crawford is excellent but the others need to prove themselves, Coleman has potential to shine like KVR

S: D, need a FS and struck out and White isn't proven enough to raise the grade

K: A, best kicker in the country

Overall I give ND a 'B' to 'B+' grade this year. Very good class that adds immediate talent and depth. The quality of the players is excellent, ND just needs 2 more...pass rushing DE and a high end safety. Now factoring in the year ND had on the field ND did exceptional. If ND can put two 10 win years together they will win some of these questionable battles and be even better.

Though I do feel that ND missed out on a couple of positions of need, I do really dig this class. If I am grading this class with blinders on, I would give it a B.

If I am rating this class vs. the teams ND is trying to compete with, I do not see very many areas where ND has gained ground.