Brian Kelly 4

I support Brian Kelly and hope he stays and improves both as a coach . I think he has improved the competitiveness of the program. The blowouts losses where we were not competitive have largely disappeared. We are a better conditioned program and even while decimated by injuries still are competitive.

That being said, a couple of things concern me. One is the way he handled the holder/Brindza situation. Kyle Brindza has been a reliable kicker throughout his career who will leave ND with kicking records. Yet, late in his senior year Kelly seemingly said to Brindza "I'm making a change, deal with it". Though younger players need to understand that there are rules and practices that are not negotiable, a 4th year player-particularly a skill position player where the margin for error is small- needs to be treated differently imo. Brindza should have been consulted and I think Kelly should have deferred to his opinion of what the best course of action should be after the Arizona game. He had earned that respect over 4 years, but I don't think Kelly gave it to him, which is troubling. We all know what the result was.

The other thing that troubled me was Cam McDaniel's fumble against Northwestern. When you're building a successful program, your seniors must be reliable in game closing situations. They deliver. All the time. That's how it works with successful programs. The fact that 4 years into the program Cam didn't deliver concerns me. Older players must deliver, and both Cam and Brindza did not down the stretch resulting in two losses that should have been wins. Whatever the reasons are for this, Kelly needs to find out. He'll never have a consistently successful program without the older guys delivering in the clutch. He has taken a step backward this year. Let's hope its a one year anomaly in an upward trending program.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These are the only coaches I would prefer to Kelly

Stoops- OU

Petersen- UW

Sumlin- A&M

Meyer- OSU

Saban- Bama

Malzahn- Auburn

Mullen- MSU

Dantonio- MSU

Patterson- TCU

Graham- ASU

Bielema- Arkansas

Anyone have any others...I think the only one we have a "good" chance at getting on that list is Graham

The fumble against NW bothered me a ton.

Ball security is the reason he should ever see the field. He is supposed to be reliable. If he's going to fumble in a critical situation, I can't justify why he plays at all. He is clearly the least talented back in the rotation.

I'd have no problem if he watches from the sidelines when I am there tomorrow. In fact., I'd prefer it.

Stoops- OU

Petersen- UW

Sumlin- A&M

Meyer- OSU

Saban- Bama

Malzahn- Auburn

Mullen- MSU

Dantonio- MSU

Patterson- TCU

Graham- ASU

Bielema- Arkansas

Anyone have any others...I think the only one we have a "good" chance at getting on that list is Graham

Sadly probably not one on that list would take the job.

Stoops- OU

Petersen- UW

Sumlin- A&M

Meyer- OSU

Saban- Bama

Malzahn- Auburn

Mullen- MSU

Dantonio- MSU

Patterson- TCU

Graham- ASU

Bielema- Arkansas

I have to see Sumlin do more without Johnny before I can lump him in and I saw the Todd Graham debacle that was his term at Pittsburgh hes not a program builder at all dont believe the hype.

The others I would agree with but lets not forget Kelly was these guys before he came here and look what happened. And sadly as others have said it would be highly unlikely any of these guys would take the job if offered

Sure, he's a winner. Patterson, Dantonio and even Butch Jones while we are at it.

Seriously? GET THE F*** OUT OF HERE. We beat Dantonio the last couple years...

Did you wake up and were like, Damn I had too much turkey. I think I need to troll DD all day?

Butch Jones followed Brian Kelly in his last two stops and had less success with a fully stocked cupboard, relatively speaking.

Butch Jones will be out in 2 more years at Tennessee. You can put that in writing.

The fumble against NW bothered me a ton.

Ball security is the reason he should ever see the field. He is supposed to be reliable. If he's going to fumble in a critical situation, I can't justify why he plays at all. He is clearly the least talented back in the rotation.

I'd have no problem if he watches from the sidelines when I am there tomorrow. In fact., I'd prefer it.[/quote

Take it easy on the kid. He has been as reliable a back for four years as anyone. Spectacular? No. But very, very reliable when asked to carry the load. We are all human and make mistakes -- daily. That fumble crushed him. Also, did you see him weeping on the sidleines after the loss to L'ville?

He's a true Domer. Cut him some slack!

Seriously? GET THE F*** OUT OF HERE. We beat Dantonio the last couple years...

Did you wake up and were like, Damn I had too much turkey. I think I need to troll DD all day?

Butch Jones followed Brian Kelly in his last two stops and had less success with a fully stocked cupboard, relatively speaking.

Butch Jones will be out in 2 more years at Tennessee. You can put that in writing.

And Dantonio ' s team has had a enter team the last two years. Only reason we beat them last year was because of all those pi calls. They had a better year last year and certainly a better one this year. Butch Jones has UT playing much better now. He's doing it the right way by building a.foundation. He's also not going through Qb's like water.

Kelly has.been here FIVE years now. His program should be humming right now. It's on life support. We are tired of the excuses. You don't hear any excuses from Ohio State do you? They lost their starting QB weeks before the season and had to use a freshmen. They are still killing it.

And Dantonio ' s team has had a enter team the last two years. Only reason we beat them last year was because of all those pi calls. They had a better year last year and certainly a better one this year. Butch Jones has UT playing much better now. He's doing it the right way by building a.foundation. He's also not going through Qb's like water.

Kelly has.been here FIVE years now. His program should be humming right now. It's on life support. We are tired of the excuses. You don't hear any excuses from Ohio State do you? They lost their starting QB weeks before the season and had to use a freshmen. They are still killing it.

If you have such a hard on for OSU, then by all means dump the Irish and just become one of them.

Out of the numerous of "ND Sucks" and "Fire Kelly" threads currently within our 3 page deep, Revolver has to pick the one offering support of the coaching staff to rain down more of the same. You know, because it hasn't been heard before.

And comparing OSU's bullshet schedule & healthy defense to ND's current crap of affairs is asinine. ND's probably the most unlucky team I have ever seen...