Shumate/Redfield

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never been a huge fan of coaches that make personnel decisions based on practice because there are have been players that didn't practice well but still played well in games and vice versa.

I was one of those in soccer. Never practiced all that well, but I did very well in games. The rush just got to me. Almost lost my starting job because of practice. Then the coach told me he was crazy to ever consider benching me... Getting a hat trick will do that for ya I guess.

God, I miss competitive soccer.

Let's see how much BK wants to win this game against usc. IF he wants to win, Redfield and Shumate need to play. They have basically had a 2 game suspension for not practicing well. Sure they have missed assignments, but who on this defense hasn't. Right now, they are better options than Tranquill and Collinsworth.

This is the one thing that's annoyed me more than losing because it makes no sense. It's as if we're trying to lose. They're better, so they should play.

Hoosier I miss college soccer too man. I liked soccer more than football and ice hockey. Just loved playing it with my teammates. But I've known so many guys that just came alive during games in college and were lazy in practice. It still doesn't make sense to me, but some guys need to know it really matters in order to flip that switch.

Been a sad couple of weeks for Irish fans. Sickening. I don't think I've ever been more disappointed with Irish football. Hopefully we beat SC. I would be content with a win over the Cali boys.

In my opinion Coach Kelly was very gentle and nice to the young team. It hasn't worked out because all of the mental mistakes haven't been cleaned up.

He is now turning to tough love for better or worse. Can't keep doing the same gentle approach.

In my opinion Coach Kelly was very gentle and nice to the young team. It hasn't worked out because all of the mental mistakes haven't been cleaned up.

He is now turning to tough love for better or worse. Can't keep doing the same gentle approach.

Both are good players. I think they pulled up a little on some plays in games and coaches is making a point it is 100% all the time. If you are not giving 100% the players that are will.

He'd try to make each kid reach his potential.

Reading that I now truly believe Kelly has no fricken idea what he's doing.

Or maybe he does: This from Eric Hanson

"The best parallel to this situation came in 2010, and there was a happy ending in that instance. Linebacker Brian Smith and running back Robert Hughes were both slow to buy into Kelly and his philosophy. That’s a line you can’t cross with him. It’s non-negotiable, right or wrong.

Playing a less-experienced or less-talented player in the interim or inciting an eventual transfer by a player is a consequence Kelly is willing to live with for the greater good of the team.

Eventually Smith and Hughes became two of the key figures in ND’s late-season resurgence in 2010, and to this day thank Kelly for the hard line he took four years ago with both of them."

I don't see all of the hate on Kelly. If you watch the ASU game Elijiah and Max have a ton of growing up to do. It's part of the maturation process.

Benching players because they have to show more in practice and need to get better on the field, but leaving a turnover machine in and not benching him for a series or two is contradictory. Its sets a double standard.

See... Everett Golson for the contradiciton

In a vacuum, all the points here would be sound. And, if football teams existed in a vacuum, all of us would be viable alternatives to Kelly. When you lose a TON of leadership on the defense over the course of the year, someone like collinsworth takes on an added level of importance. We have NOONE to act as field general if you take Austin off the field. Jaylon smith and/or day are your next best options and neither of them is very good for various reasons. This is why the loss of Schmidt is doubly painful.

And, to compare this to Golson is silly. There are few if any parallels between Golson/Zaire and our safety situation. On its surface, sure, it all sounds like it's apples to apples. But, the offense has its share of challenges and its a helluva lot more challenging to cover for deficiencies at QB than it is safety. And, of course, that's working under a model where you're operating in a vacuum.

If kelly has no frickin' idea about what he's doing after THIRTY years straight of coaching, what the hell do we know? That's not to say he's infallible, clearly he's far from that, but only to point out that all of our answers seem wonderful because they have yet to play out. Is now the time to trot out Andrew Hendrix, Sophomore Zeke Motta, Sophomore Harrison Smith? all of whom were thrust into lineups out of desperation and all of who earned the ire of the irish faithful.