Want to be untouchable at ND?

Average 8.6 wins a year for 5 years. That's what Kelly has done at ND. And that's giving him one more win this season. That's Notre Dame football. And all of the fans who are content with this and always saying wait until next year, they are part of the problem of mediocrity at ND.

This crap doesnt get tolerated at other places who have high expectations for their football program.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The state of Notre Dame football has nothing to do with fans. The market has spoken when it comes to the head coaching job at Notre Dame. None of the elite coaches will touch it with a ten foot pole, because there are way to many obstacles to success. If this was 1966, Saban and Meyer would be drooling for the job. Today? Well, you know the answer.

That's what Kelly has done at ND. And that's giving him one more win this season. That's Notre Dame football. And all of the fans who are content with this and always saying wait until next year, they are part of the problem of mediocrity at ND.

This crap doesnt get tolerated at other places who have high expectations for their football program.

I'm just asking because I really don't know...

Are there really college football programs that fired their head coaches who averaged 8.6 wins per season in their first 5 years?

They actually fired them after 5 years, or 6 years?

I am not aware of any but would like to know which ones did.

I'm just asking because I really don't know...

Are there really college football programs that fired their head coaches who averaged 8.6 wins per season in their first 5 years?

They actually fired them after 5 years, or 6 years?

I am not aware of any but would like to know which ones did.

Do you honestly think that Ohio State, Michigan, Oklahoma, Texas, USC, Florida, etc would put up with 8.6 wins a year over a 5 year span? Why should ND?

Just FYI, Auburn fired Chizik TWO years after winning it all and Lloyd Carr was basically 9-3 every year after winning it all.

Edited by Irish Storm

Do you honestly think that Ohio State, Michigan, Oklahoma, Texas, USC, Florida, etc would put up with 8.6 wins a year over a 5 year span? Why should ND?

Just FYI, Auburn fired Chizik TWO years after winning it all and Lloyd Carr was basically 9-3 every year after winning it all.

I can't speak for the others, but Oklahoma fans around here are tired of 15 years of 10+ wins per year, four NC appearances and 1 NC. Many are begging Florida to snatch Stoops up.

In those 2 years chizik was 8 - 5 and 3 - 9 and the program was in quick decline. Carr retired. Come here with better than that.

On second thought just go away.

You didn't answer the question I posed.

I really am interested in what you said as you started this thread.

You did bring up Chizek, but he was fired under different circumstances. Other than his championship year, Auburn was 19-19 under him, 7-17 in SEC play, and that team was in serious decline (outscored 150-21 in the last 3 SEC games under him; 3-9 in his last season). In his 4 seasons as Auburn coach he averaged 8.2 wins per season.

Carr coached at Michigan for 12 years. They didn't fire him after 5 years.

So, are there ANY college teams that fired a head coach who averaged 8.6 wins per season for his first 5 or 6 seasons? ANY at all? 8.6 is the number you came up with, not me, so please help me understand.

You did bring up Chizek, but he was fired under different circumstances. Other than his championship year, Auburn was 19-19 under him, 7-17 in SEC play, and that team was in serious decline (outscored 150-21 in the last 3 SEC games under him; 3-9 in his last season). In his 4 seasons as Auburn coach he averaged 8.2 wins per season.

So, are there ANY college teams that fired a head coach who averaged 8.6 wins per season for his first 5 or 6 seasons? ANY at all? 8.6 is the number you came up with, not me, so please help me understand.

Not to mention we still have 3 games left this year and he is counting this year as 7 wins. A better question is how many coaches have been fired after going 26-8 in there last 34 games? Look BK coached probably his worst game ever this weekend, but BK is no where close to the hot seat nor should he be. I'm not sure why I felt the need to post this as the OP is the only one saying this.

[/b]

In those 2 years chizik was 8 - 5 and 3 - 9 and the program was in quick decline. Carr retired. Come here with better than that.

On second thought just go away.

John Coopers last 8 seasons before being fired.

10–1

9–4

11–2

11–1

10–3

11–1

6–6

8-4

And Carr was 'retired'. That better tough guy?

Not to mention we still have 3 games left this year and he is counting this year as 7 wins. A better question is how many coaches have been fired after going 26-8 in there last 34 games? Look BK coached probably his worst game ever this weekend, but BK is no where close to the hot seat nor should he be. I'm not sure why I felt the need to post this as the OP is the only one saying this.

That's not true. I gave Kelly the benefit of the doubt and gave him one more win this season for a total of 8.

Fans like some of you guys are part of the problem: minimal expectations.

Frank Solich 's 6 easons at Nebraska:

9-4

12-1

10-2

11-2

7-7

9-3

9.6 win average for Solich: fired

9.2 win average over last 5 seasons for Cooper: fired

Edited by Irish Storm

But it's still FAR better than ND's last 8 seasons. You guys would be dancing in the streets for an 8 year run like that. It got him fired.

I live in columbus and can tell you his firing was about michigan. Now, another year or two at 6-6 or 8-4, it would have happened anyway, but we digress.