SIAP: BK: "Why aren't they [to's] on Golson?

In a response to a question during the post game where BK was asked how they can fix the turnover problem (stating that all the to's were not Golson's fault), BK responded to the reporter, "why weren't all the to's on Golson?"

BK is eventually persuaded by the reporter that all of the to's were not Golson's fault.

Video:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/11/9/7180573/brian-kelly-everett-golson-comments-notre-dame-arizona-state

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like BK wants to throw Golson under the bus. A more appropriate answer to the question would have been " we are continuing to work to be the best we can be". You don't air your dirty laundry out for everyone to see.

To me that was a classless response from a coach who can't get a handle on the problem.

To me that was a classless response from a coach who can't get a handle on the problem.

At this point the only person capable of getting a "handle on the problem" is Everett.

There is no benefit at this point from BK playing the "appropriate, sugar-coated answer" He's played that card for three or four weeks now.

Everett Golson is 21-years-old now.

He's not gonna get crushed by the truth, or his coach rightfully putting this loss on his shoulders

I think that like most things, it's more complicated than pointing the finger at one or the other.

Golson has to protect the ball, but Kelly could have put him in better situations than he did Saturday. All of Golson's turnovers happened when the offensive scheme left one of the blitzer's unblocked, which hurried Golson to avoid sacks and forced him to try to get rid of the ball quicker than he was reliably ready to. You saw what Golson can do when Kelly used an extra blocker to block all of their blitzers. Golson didn't have to avoid the rush, and he had more time to read the coverage. He went form a pitiful performance to a Heisman type performance. So, though he has to protect the football when in tough situations, Kelly needs to put him in situations where he can thrive.

The thing that isn't talked about much- and that Kelly has to fix- is that no matter who the running back is in the game, he has to be able to block. With Folston in the game, we used play action and left a blitzer free. With Cam in the game, we didn't use play action and Cam went straight at the blitzer on the outside. We cannot have these kind of predictable tendencies in personnel changes

There is a difference between "throwing someone under the bus" and holding someone accountable for mistakes. At this point in the season, it's on Everett to correct. He has more turnovers in the last six games than 77 teams have all season.

I see it the other way. It's on Kelly to correct. BK has given him 2/3 of the season to correct the mistakes. Kelly needs to sit Golson and start MZ.

why are fans so dumb?

Because you don't agree he/she is therefore dumb? Really?

There are so many on here quick to point out folks with differing opinions. Why are some in denial that Golson has an issue and it's up to Golson to set the tone on the field. It's bound to happen that the big MO will deflate after so many turnovers then change will be necessary. Perhaps not now though.

I see it the other way. It's on Kelly to correct. BK has given him 2/3 of the season to correct the mistakes. Kelly needs to sit Golson and start MZ.

Ugh, we've been over MZ a bunch of times. It's not gonna happen. I'm sure MZ will get some reps in the near future but he will not be starting this year. If you think that he's that ready to produce more than EG, than it's going to be a long year for you. THere is still much to play for this year and BK won't cast that aside just to get MZ ready for next year. You're better off trying to fix EG.

I disagree that Kelly did anything wrong here. EG's at a point where he needs to contend with the spotlight and Kelly's simply facilitating that process. If EG doesn't treat these like they are on him and hold himself publicly accountable THEN you have a problem.

what I heard was a very frustrated coach, that I think has done all he can do but for sitting him and playing someone else. he was right EG gives them the best chance of winning, not a red-shirt freshman with no experience. who I like by the way.

the coach can not make the plays, the throws, tackles, catches or blocks only put them in a position to be done by the players. accountability is needed.

now that they are out of the playoff picture maybe MZ gets in a little quicker to see what he can do. but golson is still the best qb on the team just not playing like it consistently.