Eight Team Playoff??

http://i.imgur.com/ElCPi.gif

For the love of god people...NO! It will be the death of college football as we know it. It will relegate the regular season to complete rubbish. Eight teams will saturate the product and mean we could potentially have a 2-3 loss national champion. Let's look at the last 7 years and you tell me if we NEED 8 teams:

(Bold are power-5 conference champs)

2013:

1 Florida State 13-0

2 Auburn 12-1

3 Alabama 11-1

4 Michigan State 12-1

5 Stanford 11-2

6 Baylor 11-1

7 Ohio State 12-1

8 Missouri 11-2

2012:

1 Notre Dame 12-0

2 Alabama 12-1

3 Florida 11-1

4 Oregon 11-1

5 Kansas State 11-1

6 Stanford 11-2

7 Georgia 11-2

8 LSU 10-2

2011:

1 LSU 13-0

2 Alabama 11-1

3 Oklahoma State 11-1

4 Stanford 11-1

5 Oregon 11-2

6 Arkansas 10-2

7 Boise State 11-1

8 Kansas State 10-2

2010:

1 Auburn 13-0

2 Oregon 12-0

3 TCU 12-0

4 Stanford 11-1

5 Wisconsin 11-1

6 Ohio State 11-1***

7 Oklahoma 11-2

8 Arkansas 10-2

2009:

1 Alabama 13-0

2 Texas 13-0

3 Cincinnati 12-0

4 TCU 12-0

5 Florida 12-1

6 Boise State 13-0

7 Oregon 10-2

8 Ohio State 10-2

2008:

1 Oklahoma 12-1

2 Florida 12-1

3 Texas 11-1

4 Alabama 12-1

5 USC 11-1

6 Utah 12-0

7 Texas Tech 11-1

8 Penn State 11-1

2007:

1 Ohio State 11-1

2 LSU 11-2

3 Virginia Tech 11-2

4 Oklahoma 11-2

5 Georgia 10-2

6 Missouri 11-2

7 USC 10-2

8 Kansas 11-1

2006:

1 Ohio State (65) 12-0 0

2 Florida 12-1 0

3 Michigan 11-1 0

4 LSU 10-2 0

5 Louisville 11-1 0

6 Wisconsin 11-1 0

7 Oklahoma 11-2 0

8 USC 10-2 0

So the findings are, in all seasons but 2008, you would be welcoming MULTIPLE TWO LOSS team to the mix. You aren't fixing anything by expanding to eight teams. You're actually making it worse. I'm gonna highlight the 2012 season as my sample:

6 Stanford 11-2

7 Georgia 11-2

8 LSU 10-2

9 Texas A&M 10-2

10 South Carolina 10-2

11 Oklahoma 10-2

12 Florida State 11-2

Who deserves the 6,7,8 spot out of those seven teams? Good god people, look at that? We'd be aruging about 7 two loss teams for 3 spots. Not only that, but if you want to put in "Conference champs" by default, you have a 2 loss, number 12 Florida State jumping in over that glut of SEC teams, including LSU who's only losses were to #2 Bama and #3Florida. Or do you include LSU? Because LSU would mean at LEAST three SEC teams. Then you have arguments for Georgia? Georgia ALSO only lost to #2 Bama and #10 South Carolina but won the SEC West. So is that four teams? What about Stanford? Their two losses were to #1 Notre Dame and #4 Oregon. Does FSU go over them?

It's ****ing pandora's box and it will ruin college football. Two losses and you're still in? Retarded.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly, you know they are heading in the direction of expanding it, more than likely to 8. My personal opinion is that if it were to be expanded, it should go to no more than 6. The #1 and #2 teams would get a bye the first week, that way, at least you can preserve some traditions of the benefits of being one of the top 2 teams at the end of the season.

Of course then the remaining seeds play each other to advance to play the 2 teams who had the bye.

I agree with NDNorm that like it or not, 8 teams is inevitable down the road. Not saying it's right, but in an effort to satisfy MORE people/teams...you just p*ss more off. The last team out of NCAA tournament consideration still b*tches up a storm each year, and look at those numbers.

It would be the end of college football as we know it. Why? Because right now college football is the only major sport that crowns a champion who had the best season.

In every other sport, the champion is the team who had a good enough regular season to make the playoffs, then played the best for those 2-3 weeks.

The current World Series is two wild card teams. 9-7 Giants won the SuperBowl a while back. 8 seeds have won the Stanley Cup. Now, that isn't terrible, but guess what I watch in all of those sports? The playoffs and a smattering of games throughout the year of my favorite teams.

In college football, game 1 means as much as game 12-13. Lose game 1, and you might not win the title. It makes every game matter to the bigger picture. I'll watch football all day every Saturday because every game means something to the overall picture. I don't sit and watch every NFL game on Sunday, because not every game matters. Now sure, the team that wins the title might not be the "best" team at the end of the year, but they are the team that was the best for the entire year and I think that should matter.

If you go to an 8 or 16 team playoff, you become just like any other sport out there.

It has to be 16 to be fair. All conferences get one automatic bid and the rest are at-large. Then, you have two weeks in December and two weeks in January for playoffs. It makes the most sense....

Do the #9-#16 teams at the end of a year EVER have a claim to the title? Eight is far more than enough...probably too many.

Do the #9-#16 teams at the end of a year EVER have a claim to the title? Eight is far more than enough...probably too many.

smaster is spot on.

too many good teams to figure out top 4.

8 feels like we avoid controversy all together. if you are 9 or 10, well then sorry. you probably lost twice and could have just won your games to get in.

However, this year might still end up with a very clear picture.

we all overreact and there are plenty of football games to be played yet.

smaster is spot on.

too many good teams to figure out top 4.

8 feels like we avoid controversy all together. if you are 9 or 10, well then sorry. you probably lost twice and could have just won your games to get in.

However, this year might still end up with a very clear picture.

we all overreact and there are plenty of football games to be played yet.

Impossible to avoid controversy all together, but you're right about anyone below 8 (if letting 8 teams in)...sorry about your luck. I've always thought you could draw a line at about 5 teams every year who were legit enough to be considered best in the land, then the others are the ones who don't quite measure up. Nowadays, there's prob more of an argument for a couple more teams inside the top 10, which is why I wouldn't hate it too much to have 8 teams....

....but to go to 16 as someone said? H to the L no! You could even have some 3 (or more) loss teams in that mix. No thanks.

Impossible to avoid controversy all together, but you're right about anyone below 8 (if letting 8 teams in)...sorry about your luck. I've always thought you could draw a line at about 5 teams every year who were legit enough to be considered best in the land, then the others are the ones who don't quite measure up. Nowadays, there's prob more of an argument for a couple more teams inside the top 10, which is why I wouldn't hate it too much to have 8 teams....

....but to go to 16 as someone said? H to the L no! You could even have some 3 (or more) loss teams in that mix. No thanks.

It's like that tool didn't even read my post

6 Stanford 11-2

7 Georgia 11-2

8 LSU 10-2

9 Texas A&M 10-2

10 South Carolina 10-2

11 Oklahoma 10-2

12 Florida State 11-2

Who deserves the 6,7,8 spot out of those seven teams? Good god people, look at that? We'd be aruging about 7 two loss teams for 3 spots. Not only that, but if you want to put in "Conference champs" by default, you have a 2 loss, number 12 Florida State jumping in over that glut of SEC teams, including LSU who's only losses were to #2 Bama and #3Florida. Or do you include LSU? Because LSU would mean at LEAST three SEC teams. Then you have arguments for Georgia? Georgia ALSO only lost to #2 Bama and #10 South Carolina but won the SEC West. So is that four teams? What about Stanford? Their two losses were to #1 Notre Dame and #4 Oregon. Does FSU go over them?

If you go to 16 teams....SERIOUSLY!? DO YOU EVEN FOLLOW THE SPORT?

2013:

1 Florida State 13-0

2 Auburn 12-1

3 Alabama 11-1

4 Michigan State 12-1

5 Stanford 11-2

6 Baylor 11-1

7 Ohio State 12-1

8 Missouri 11-2

9 South Carolina 10-2

10 Oregon 10-2

11 Oklahoma 10-2

12 Clemson 10-2

13 Oklahoma State 10-2

14 Arizona State 10-3

15 UCF 11-1

16 LSU 9-3

Tommy "BLANKING" Rees beat the number 14 team, who has 3 losses.

2012:

1 Notre Dame 12-0

2 Alabama 12-1

3 Florida 11-1

4 Oregon 11-1

5 Kansas State 11-1

6 Stanford 11-2

7 Georgia 11-2

8 LSU 10-2

9 Texas A&M 10-2

10 South Carolina 10-2

11 Oklahoma 10-2

12 Florida State 11-2

13 Oregon State 9-3

14 Clemson 10-2

15 Northern Illinois 12-1

16 Nebraska 10-3

Nebraska...****ING NEBRASKA!? Lost the B1G title game 70-31...SEVENTY. They lost to tOSU earlier in the year 63-38...SIXTY THREE.

Like I said...Do you guys who want more than 4 teams even follow the rest of college football? Rarely does anyone outside of the top 4 warrant a CHANCE to play for the title. You work all SEASON to EARN a spot in the playoff. But with 16 teams, you can have a Nebraska team, that in two of their three losses, were outscored 133-69.

I don't see how it devalues the season at all. If you have to win your conference to get in, teams will still be playing their best football to do so.

And so what if an 8-4 conference champ gets in??? Isn't that the purpose of a playoff, some sense of equality that is not based on innate human bias? Don't want to get beat by an 8-4 conference champ when you're "clearly" the "best" team with an 12-0 or 11-1 record, then don't get beat.

There would be a lot less mumbling over those last 3 spots with an objective standard in place like conference champs get in. If you don't want to be in one of the last 3 spots, then I guess you best win your conference that year. If you want one of the 3 spots, you best due your best to be the runner up in your conference.

Weak and frail human beings subject to bias should not be the deciding factors for the divinely inspired game of college football.

The problem with the four team playoff, which I'm okay with right now, is it's still a popularity contest driven by the media (I think the committee's "best" will be the same as the media's) who knows the same amount of football as I do, which is about nothing. No group of people "know" who the "best' is. So let those who have proven to be the best within their respective conference play those who were proven to be the best within their respective conferences. Sounds pretty easy to me.

There will always be problems with every system, but this seems the fairest to me and MOST importantly, removes the human bias element from the equation, which I am VERY distrustful of because I know how we humans behave.

Edited by OKLAHOMAIRISHFAN

It would be the end of college football as we know it. Why? Because right now college football is the only major sport that crowns a champion who had the best season.

In college football, game 1 means as much as game 12-13. Lose game 1, and you might not win the title.

If you go to an 8 or 16 team playoff, you become just like any other sport out there.

Strongly disagree. The reason that a wild card team can win in the NFL is because there is so much more parity in the pro game than in college football. The drop from best to worst is far less precipitous. Even with a four team playoff we could still potentially be talking about whether or not a two-loss SEC team is getting in this season. You will not have a 3 or 4 loss team in the playoff. I don't think that this compromises the season in any way and if done in the right way, there will be multiple conferences represented. Rather than speculating at the end of the season what would have happened if team "X" played team "Y", you'll have your answer. The cream will still rise to the top. The rare occasions when there is a major upset will make for great football.

I also reject the notion that people will stop watching the regular season because the games will have less meaning. We are still only talking about 8 teams out of 128 getting into the playoff. More games will have meaning every week. If you like football, you'll watch. I understand hesitancy to change the system because college football is so great as it currently stands, but I think you'd find that you'd still love it just as much if they went to an eight team playoff. The rivalries will still be there and your season isn't over if you're team messes the bed one week.

Most importantly, if this was last year, we would be done talking about ND's national title hopes. How sour would you feel about the deciding penalty under the old system? We are still talking about them winning the title strictly because of the new playoff system. AND, we still might not make it into the final four if we win out! If there were an eight team playoff, we'd be guaranteed to get in if we win out and I think that we have a legitimate shot at winning it all. THAT is why an eight team playoff might be a good thing. ND makes every attempt to schedule tough teams but due to circumstances outside of their control, the schedule does not always look as tough at the end of the season. ND wouldn't be penalized for Stanford, USC, and UNC having bad seasons. The team determines its own fate to a much greater degree. That's how it should be.