How good is this class?

Serious question - I haven't been following recruiting like I used to. I know we've got some great 4 stars recently and a QB to be excited about, but how does it compare overall to our last 10 years or so? I read that we're still in it for several big names - do we think we'll nail some of them down?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion this is an extremely good class. The three linebacker haul is A plus as we answered each position with a 4 star, fast and athletic player. Big Time quarterback and offensive line recruiting remains stellar. Running back should finish with two absolute studs.

This class, however, may well be remembered for its defensive standouts. Don't be fooled by the three star players as they have so much size, speed and athleticism. They also have the advantage of a redshirt as we are well established in front of them especially on the defensive line. Guys like Bonner, Williams and Mokwouh are waiting in the wings already. An extra year under Longo and these guys are going to hold the point of attack. Things are really looking up.

I think it looks good, it is currently rated 12 in the nation and we will see how it shakes out at the end.

I would like to see some real bolstering of our rather weak O-line, Hoge is a beast at center but I want to see a little more incoming talent. I see only two OL this cycle.

Hopefully the guys that are there now will develop well, been too rough this year.

I think it looks good, it is currently rated 12 in the nation and we will see how it shakes out at the end.

I would like to see some real bolstering of our rather weak O-line, Hoge is a beast at center but I want to see a little more incoming talent. I see only two OL this cycle.

Hopefully the guys that are there now will develop well, been too rough this year.

hoge is awesome and jerry tiller is also highly rated and out of a good program in LSU country, also I think ruhland is very underrated.

The class is light on 'star power' (read, five stars) but every player in it is good. Where this class stands out against others from the past 10 years is that it's officially reached the "only blue chips get in" point and we are legitimately in on 5-10 marquee blue chippers. I can't recall a point where we didn't need a wing and a prayer to get that one blue chipper down the stretch to make our class. Even without blue chippers, this class is one that you build a program around as it hits all the right notes.

Not landing an RB and a S would leave this class short of filling all areas of need but the staff has done an excellent job of ensuring we're in the best spot possible to avoid letting that happen.

The other classes of note over the past 10 years are (in chronological order)

1. 2013
  2. 2011
  3. 2008
  4. 2007
  5. 2006

This technically ranks behind only '13 in terms of avg star rating (composite). However, some of Chaz's classes were waited down by real poor lowend talent that dilutes that number.

Personally, I'd put this behind 2011 (go back and look at that one, duh-amn) and about even with 2008 (which also looks like a killer class but obviously fell short of expectations). 2013 was very special but also small.

IMHO, only '11 managed to cover as many bases and it brought in better frontline talent. Plus, it killed it at areas of immediate need (Dline, Oline, QB, etc.).

'07 is probably the only other class in the conversation but it had issues at positions like LB, had bigger reaches (gallup jr) and was smaller. Plus, it gets knocked for the terrible Aurrelious Benn saga which kinda emasculated it IMHO.

hope this helps.

3 are in for this cycle and a 5 star for next cycle. ND has done a perfectly fine job recruiting OL, just look at the last few classes.

Ranked #12 where? Rivals has it at #7, Scout at #7, and 247 has ND at #9. This is a great, well-rounded class that will be ridiculous if it adds ESB and SoSo

Ranked #12 where? Rivals has it at #7, Scout at #7, and 247 has ND at #9. This is a great, well-rounded class that will be ridiculous if it adds ESB and SoSo

I think ESPN still has them rated outside of the top 10.

ESPN also has ESB and Soso rated really high though. ESB specifically is more highly regarded by ESPN than other sites. Land those two and they jump up significantly.