Texas to pay $10,000 per player (hypothetical)

I think this is going to ruin college sports. For many colleges they'll either have to drop football or drop many other sports.

Personally, I don't like it at all. It could affect my enthusiasm for college sports quite a bit, even ND sports.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/headlines/20141021-texas-athletic-director-with-new-rules-longhorns-will-pay-each-player-10000.ece

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you are right. It will also accelerate theit'smove to the super league which most people seem to want. It's an old story. The rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

I have mixed feeling, personally I don't think you should pay players, but it's just a big money grab anyway now so why not give these kids a cut?

I have mixed feeling, personally I don't think you should pay players, but it's just a big money grab anyway now so why not give these kids a cut?

Texas can afford it. We can afford it. Michigan can afford it. Ohio State can afford it.... But can Tennessee? Can Arizona State? Can Stanford?

The reality is only 20-25 schools a year make money on their football program.

Texas can afford it. We can afford it. Michigan can afford it. Ohio State can afford it.... But can Tennessee? Can Arizona State? Can Stanford?

The reality is only 20-25 schools a year make money on their football program.

I think it's a little more then 25 schools that make money. hard to find any business that will declare they are doing more then breaking even.

I think it's a little more then 25 schools that make money. hard to find any business that will declare they are doing more then breaking even.

Not when they are public institutions and their budgets are public records.

Piratey is correct, only about 20-25 athletic departments make money each year. If you pay 85 college football players, you must pay 85 female athletes. If you pay 13 male basketball players, that is 13 more female athletes you must pay.

People who support paying athletes do not really know what is going on. It would ruin college sports and there is no reason to pay them. A free education is MORE than enough.

From every fiber of my being: FVCK PAYING PLAYERS!!!

Not when they are public institutions and their budgets are public records.

Piratey is correct, only about 20-25 athletic departments make money each year. If you pay 85 college football players, you must pay 85 female athletes. If you pay 13 male basketball players, that is 13 more female athletes you must pay.

People who support paying athletes do not really know what is going on. It would ruin college sports and there is no reason to pay them. A free education is MORE than enough.

From every fiber of my being: FVCK PAYING PLAYERS!!!

Also an old story...the law of unintended consequences.

OMG we've been over this SO many times. The kids DO get a cut -- in the form of free tuition, room, and board. In Notre Dame's case, this is currently about $60k per student athlete that the university foregoes.

I agree 110% with Hoosier here. Eff stipends. Why does UT get to do this without NCAA backlash?

OMG we've been over this SO many times. The kids DO get a cut -- in the form of free tuition, room, and board. In Notre Dame's case, this is currently about $60k per student athlete that the university foregoes.

I agree 110% with Hoosier here. Eff stipends. Why does UT get to do this without NCAA backlash?

gotta look at it from the player's perspective...that's a free $120K+ that they get every year

I'm against paying players, but I am for the following:

a weekly stipend to do whatever they want with (food, movies, going out)...I like this because players are not allowed to work, so why not give them some spending money

players selling what they have or their time...like signings, or if they want to sell their championship rings (some players do this), or signed jerseys...I think this is a good way to allow the more popular players to capitalize on their fame. I believe this answers the question: "how do we know how much to pay players? what about the benchwarmers, or the superstars"

gotta look at it from the player's perspective...that's a free $120K+ that they get every year

I'm against paying players, but I am for the following:

a weekly stipend to do whatever they want with (food, movies, going out)...I like this because players are not allowed to work, so why not give them some spending money

players selling what they have or their time...like signings, or if they want to sell their championship rings (some players do this), or signed jerseys...I think this is a good way to allow the more popular players to capitalize on their fame. I believe this answers the question: "how do we know how much to pay players? what about the benchwarmers, or the superstars"

This is great until Joe Booster sponsors a "singing party" at his house and each kid makes 10K a night for signing three items.

College sports participation prevents the student-athlete from getting a part-time job where he/she could earn some spending money. So give them 15 hours at $15/hour (or $225 per week) for each week they are on campus (maybe 40 weeks?), or $9000 per year. Maybe Texas is not too far off.

Anything else (like autographs, likeness, etc.) is not a slippery slope....it's a frinkin' cliff!

D1 scholarship athletes already get 1,200 per month on top of free education, room & board, food(lot more than typical student), and unlimited snacks; so it's not like they're "starving" like some of them suggest.

**by the way, this was a hypothetical put forth by the Dallas Morning News, not a factual thing. Texas is NOT paying their players more than the NCAA allotted 1,200 per month. we'd have to hear about a new rule being passed by the NCAA before any institution could increase their stipend... (for anyone who hasn't actually read the link)