I've never been more proud to be an Irish fan

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get your point here, Piratey. You aren't a proud ND fan now that we have a loss?

A loss does not bring me pride. There is no such thing as a moral victory. There is no such thing as finding silver linings in a loss.

I will never celebrate a loss. Ever. It will always make me feel ******, this one especially.

A loss does not bring me pride. There is no such thing as a moral victory. There is no such thing as finding silver linings in a loss.

I will never celebrate a loss. Ever. It will always make me feel ******, this one especially.

I respect your stance, Piratey.

Just please tell me you don't have children. ;)

I respect your stance, Piratey.

Just please tell me you don't have children. ;)

Afraid I do good sir. And the lesson she'll learn in life is never accept losing. Always strive to do better. The problem with America in general these days, is that all these parents are teaching their kids that it doesn't matter if you win. It does matter. In life, it sure as hell matters. What sort of defeatist culture are we creating? You should feel bad after a loss, even if you tried your best. Your best wasn't good enough, so get better. Strive to get better.

In this case, what we gave was enough and should have won the game, if not for the back judge sticking his fist squarely up our arsehole.

Show me a good and gracious loser and I'll show you a failure.

-Knute Rockne

=/

Edited by piratey

Afraid I do good sir. And the lesson she'll learn in life is never accept losing. Always strive to do better. The problem with America in general these days, is that all these parents are teaching their kids that it doesn't matter if you win. It does matter. In life, it sure as hell matters. What sort of defeatist culture are we creating? You should feel bad after a loss, even if you tried your best. Your best wasn't good enough, so get better. Strive to get better.

In this case, what we gave was enough and should have won the game, if not for the back judge sticking his fist squarely up our arsehole.

=/

Can't argue much with Rockne. I've always taught my kids to play to win, do your best to win, work harder than anyone else to win. But, if you lose, congratulate the other players or team. Doesn't mean you have to like it, and it should be burning you up inside. The game still pisses me off. Not much we can do about it, except go the rest of the season, kick everyone's butt, and meet up with the Noles again in the playoff. Next time, there will be no doubt.

I've always taught my kids to play to win, do your best to win, work harder than anyone else to win. But, if you lose, congratulate the other players or team. Doesn't mean you have to like it, and it should be burning you up inside.

This is how I raise mine as well. That's right on target.

I agree with everything in your first paragraph.

Regarding the bold statement...why, then, are you not proud of Notre Dame in this case? Yeah, be absolutely pissed about the loss (like I am), but this one isn't a source of shame for ND.

Regarding the bold statement...why, then, are you not proud of Notre Dame in this case? Yeah, be absolutely pissed about the loss (like I am), but this one isn't a source of shame for ND.

can only speak for myself but I expected before the game to be in it and have a damn good shot of winning.

I do not believe any one mentioned shame, but this is ND....we're supposed to be in and win these games!

(I am very proud with how the team has responded after the loss and in comparison to FSU with potential player "issues")

This is how I raise mine as well. That's right on target.

I agree with everything in your first paragraph.

Yeah, he is being inconsistent. On one hand he tells us how hard core he is about winning being everything and how even if you do your very best and lay it on the line, you should feel bad and ashamed, even if victory was taken from you. No excuses, etc.

Then he tells us how what the team did was enough to win and tells us the back judge screwed us in the *** with his fist, which frankly, is the entire point of this thread.

Edited by Irish Storm

Yeah, he is being inconsistent. On one hand he tells us how hard core he is about winning being everything and how even if you do your very best and lay it on the line, you should feel bad and ashamed, even if victory was taken from you. No excuses, etc.

Then he tells us how what the team did was enough to win and tells us the back judge screwed us in the *** with his fist, which frankly, is the entire point of this thread.

No inconsistency. You asserted that we won. I just don't feel pride in a game history will show that we lost. I feel hollow.

No inconsistency. You asserted that we won. I just don't feel pride in a game history will show that we lost. I feel hollow.

I share your sentiment. It's going to take me awhile to move from this ACC raping before I can consider any silver linings.

=/

Yo brother, no one is accepting "losing." Stop with all that. It's ridiculous.

We are accepting a human element stepped in the way of an earned win, and in life it's imperative to accept that you can only control what you can control.

In this case, what we couldn't control was an error by a referee.

In some cases what you can't control is the other guy is simply better.

And there is no shame in losing to someone better.

The only shame is not working hard enough. Or not playing to your capabilities.

^^^^^^^

You can control

VVVVVVVV

Someone being better

You can't.

It really pisses me off that blockheads can't differentiate between being a gracious person/competitor with having a "losers" mentality.

As long as you work as hard as you can and compete as best as you can, you have achieved your objective and there will ALWAYS be a place for you somewhere.

Notre Dame lost a game because something outside of its control stepped in the way.

But by playing to it's fullest potential, Notre Dame actually ACHIEVED something significant.

If you can't see that, you are a blind blockhead.

Yo brother, no one is accepting "losing." Stop with all that. It's ridiculous.

We are accepting a human element stepped in the way of an earned win, and in life it's imperative to accept that you can only control what you can control.

In this case, what we couldn't control was an error by a referee.

In some cases what you can't control is the other guy is simply better.

And there is no shame in losing to someone better.

The only shame is not working hard enough. Or not playing to your capabilities.

^^^^^^^

You can control

VVVVVVVV

Someone being better

You can't.

It really pisses me off that blockheads can't differentiate between being a gracious person/competitor with having a "losers" mentality.

As long as you work as hard as you can and compete as best as you can, you have achieved your objective and there will ALWAYS be a place for you somewhere.

Notre Dame lost a game because something outside of its control stepped in the way.

But by playing to it's fullest potential, Notre Dame actually ACHIEVED something significant.

If you can't see that, you are a blind blockhead.

http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af36/nickman54/wLbYqb51_zps6ixl1xbl.gif' alt='wLbYqb51_zps6ixl1xbl.gif'>