ND plays a key role for PAC 12

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The one compelling point he introduces (that I have yet to be discussed on this board) is what happens if a UGA wins the SEC championship game. What makes that notable is that A) it would eliminate the SEC West champion from the CFP and B) it would eliminate the SEC West champion from the CFP. :D

what i mean by stating that twice is that it would likely have implications for the other SEC West contender(s). If the SEC West champion can't win the SEC championship, then it becomes FAR more difficult for another SEC West team to make an argument that they should somehow leap that team into CFP. You would then have maybe a UGA somehow get in.

Obviously, all kind of things need to play out but I'm really starting to enjoy the thinking that goes into the CFP. So many angles.

The one compelling point he introduces (that I have yet to be discussed on this board) is what happens if a UGA wins the SEC championship game. What makes that notable is that A) it would eliminate the SEC West champion from the CFP and B) it would eliminate the SEC West champion from the CFP. :D

what i mean by stating that twice is that it would likely have implications for the other SEC West contender(s). If the SEC West champion can't win the SEC championship, then it becomes FAR more difficult for another SEC West team to make an argument that they should somehow leap that team into CFP. You would then have maybe a UGA somehow get in.

Obviously, all kind of things need to play out but I'm really starting to enjoy the thinking that goes into the CFP. So many angles.

What if a 1 loss Georgia beats an undefeated Ole Miss or Mississippi State in a close game?

It'd be impossible for the SEC to be entirely from the inaugural CFB playoff. That ain't happening. Not when they've won 7 out of the 8 titles. And it's going to be very difficult if multiple teams finish with just one loss to keep two teams out to be honest. If you need proof. Look at the AP top 5. Four of the teams are SEC West. Four of them. That's insane.

We need chaos in the SEC, no dominant team. Only one, one loss team. That'll help for sure. But if anyone runs the gauntlet...look out.

If Notre Dame wins out, it is a problem for other conferences not named SEC or ACC (with unbeaten FSU). Big 10 is weak with MSU as its best contender. Big 12 is probably even weaker and I would predict unlikely to get someone in even if Notre Dame is not at the table. Mississippi and Mississippi State play each other so 1 of them will likely be out of the hunt. The PAC 10 should not be concerned about Notre Dame as they have 2 chances to beat us.

What if a 1 loss Georgia beats an undefeated Ole Miss or Mississippi State in a close game?

It'd be impossible for the SEC to be entirely from the inaugural CFB playoff. That ain't happening. Not when they've won 7 out of the 8 titles. And it's going to be very difficult if multiple teams finish with just one loss to keep two teams out to be honest. If you need proof. Look at the AP top 5. Four of the teams are SEC West. Four of them. That's insane.

We need chaos in the SEC, no dominant team. Only one, one loss team. That'll help for sure. But if anyone runs the gauntlet...look out.

If Georgia (SEC East) beats an undefeated Miss St team (SEC West) in championship... then only SEC goes to playoff.

I just don't get how you can justify the non-champion going to the playoffs. Win your conference, look better than other conference winners.... that's it.

Also, TV and ratings-wise, it is not healthy to be over-represented by one conference.

If Georgia (SEC East) beats an undefeated Miss St team (SEC West) in championship... then only SEC goes to playoff.

I just don't get how you can justify the non-champion going to the playoffs. Win your conference, look better than other conference winners.... that's it.

Also, TV and ratings-wise, it is not healthy to be over-represented by one conference.

We aren't in a conference, so we can't win a conference championship :(

And the TV-Ratings be damned. There are two ways to look at it.

1. They didn't care in 2011 when bama-lsu rematch happened.

2. The TV-Ratings affect only one network, ESPN, as they have the rights to the CFB Playoff. They also have a billion dollar contract with the SEC Network...sooo...

We'll see what the selection committee thinks about the SEC West next Tuesday when their initial poll comes out. Right now the AP is pretty high on the conference, giving them 4 of 5 spots in the top5.

Here's an example. Alabama is ranked number 4 yeah? Let's say they win out. Would they drop a spot? Flip side, Ole Miss wins out and wins the conference championship game. Do they move down? That's two teams, top 4. The idea of leaving Alabama out, despite having only one loss and that loss being to the undefeated SEC champion, by a score, on the road... Look at us. One loss. Not a conference champion...And Alabama will have beaten MissState, Auburn... See what I mean?

We aren't in a conference, so we can't win a conference championship :(

And the TV-Ratings be damned. There are two ways to look at it.

1. They didn't care in 2011 when bama-lsu rematch happened.

2. The TV-Ratings affect only one network, ESPN, as they have the rights to the CFB Playoff. They also have a billion dollar contract with the SEC Network...sooo...

We'll see what the selection committee thinks about the SEC West next Tuesday when their initial poll comes out. Right now the AP is pretty high on the conference, giving them 4 of 5 spots in the top5.

Here's an example. Alabama is ranked number 4 yeah? Let's say they win out. Would they drop a spot? Flip side, Ole Miss wins out and wins the conference championship game. Do they move down? That's two teams, top 4. The idea of leaving Alabama out, despite having only one loss and that loss being to the undefeated SEC champion, by a score, on the road... Look at us. One loss. Not a conference champion...And Alabama will have beaten MissState, Auburn... See what I mean?

I do but, in that scenario, then our argument becomes that much more solid. If Bama gets in due to losing by one score to a top ranked team, then it's hard to keep us out as we'd be the one other team with a 'winning loss'.

I want a 1993 inverse.

ND wins out - IN.

Bama wins out - IN (AND eliminates Miss St. and Auburn and Ole Miss in process)

MSU wins out - IN

Oregon wins out - IN

FSU loses to UF and then a week later - while still crying about being #5 behind #3 ND who they beat during the season, they lose again to Duke to have to watch from the Peach Bowl against Georgia as ND plays for the title, once more against Bama...

Suck it Criminoles. You will reap what you have sown with Dumbo and the rapist and I will suck the marrow of enjoyment out of that bone...