The Call

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Those two views are priceless, but what puzzles me the most is the total lack of a flag thrown by the Side Judge or Head linesman...the two officials with the best views of the play!

The fact that there is NO FLAG ON THE FIELD AT THE SPOT OF THE INFRACTION is also VERY puzzling. Not one official went to the spot of the alleged foul and retrieved a flag.

I watched that over and over and over, seeing Darby jump inside of Fuller INTENTIONALLY (as if he were man-to-man anticipating slant - which he WAS)...I also see Prosise being grabbed and held the entire time. I see #26 for the Criminoles lined up wrong - he is man-up on Robinson and badly out of position to make ANY play to the outside. Watch HIM on the replays linked above....he is the man who blew the coverage by being too far inside and behind the traffic to get to Robinson. That is the key player in the entire exchange. His miscue is what broke the play open...NOT Prosise or Fuller.

Its a screw-job for the ages.

At 0:30-0:32 seconds in the footage, after ND players are celebrating and whistles are blowing, you can see Ramsey still yelling at Darby for not covering the flat.

They weren't looking for a foul because they knew it was just a stupid choice by Darby to go inside rather than cover the outside.

Those two views are priceless, but what puzzles me the most is the total lack of a flag thrown by the Side Judge or Head linesman...the two officials with the best views of the play!

SMH, my best guess would be they saw what the rest of us saw. Robinson was open due to a blown coverage. The Back Judge would only see Prosise driving Ramsey and Fuller check Darby with his hands.

It's the right call.

The rule clearly states WR's are not allowed to block downfield if the ball crosses the LOS. However, I would compare this call to a PI call when the pass is thrown 10 yards over the receivers head. Florida State was completely out of position and it is clearly a busted coverage on Robinson. If Fuller and Prosise stand up straight and put their hands to their side, Robinson still scores.

Either way, boy does it hurt. I am STILL seething.

SMH, my best guess would be they saw what the rest of us saw. Robinson was open due to a blown coverage. The Back Judge would only see Prosise driving Ramsey and Fuller check Darby with his hands.

It's the right call.

The rule clearly states WR's are not allowed to block downfield if the ball crosses the LOS. However, I would compare this call to a PI call when the pass is thrown 10 yards over the receivers head. Florida State was completely out of position and it is clearly a busted coverage on Robinson. If Fuller and Prosise stand up straight and put their hands to their side, Robinson still scores.

Either way, boy does it hurt. I am STILL seething.

It wasn't the right call. The FSU defenders moved into the ND WRs. The ND WRs were left with no choice.

It wasn't the right call. The FSU defenders moved into the ND WRs. The ND WRs were left with no choice.

I felt the same way until I read the rule. Neither WR made a move to run a route or disengage the DB. The point is, the penalty is rarely called and in the situation it is ticky-tack. We feel like we were jobbed because we're on the losing side of it and because Robinson was SO wide open. Go Irish!!

I felt the same way until I read the rule. Neither WR made a move to run a route or disengage the DB. The point is, the penalty is rarely called and in the situation it is ticky-tack. We feel like we were jobbed because we're on the losing side of it and because Robinson was SO wide open. Go Irish!!

What the hell are you talking about? Go watch the previous plays. The defenders are wrapping up ND's receivers with their arms 5 yards down field just as they did immediately on this play. The only difference is that this resulted in a TD, which made it necessary for the homer referee to call it in FSU's favor. And Robinson was so wide ope,n because the outside contain corner blew his coverage. And if you don't believe me, you also don't believe coach Kelly, who is publicly stating that FSU blew its coverage and got away with it.

It's bad enough to get screwed by southern biased conference referees, its worse to have our fans side with them.

Edited by Frankus

Even the biggest Domer, Dr. Lou, said it was a good call. It's a tough way to lose a game. Irish had it in the bag, they played one hell of a game. Let this one hurt for the day and then leave it behind!!!

This will be payback for 1993 when Irish beat the seamenoles won the title even though they lost to ND. Irish will prevail in the playoffs. Let's hope for a rematch!

What the hell are you talking about? Go watch the previous plays. The defenders are wrapping up ND's receivers with their arms 5 yards down field just as they did immediately on this play. The only difference is that this resulted in a TD, which made it necessary for the homer referee to call it in FSU's favor. And Robinson was so wide ope,n because the outside contain corner blew his coverage. And if you don't believe me, you also don't believe coach Kelly, who is publicly stating that FSU blew its coverage and got away with it.

It's bad enough to get screwed by southern biased conference referees, its worse to have our fans side with them.

Jesus Frankus. I clearly stated Robinson was open due to a busted coverage. I HATE that the Irish lost this game. It absolutely sucks. I also hated the OPI call in that situation, but I don't believe it was a home-cooked-call. I believe it was a ticky-tack call which should never have BEEN called. Either way, the call followed the ACTUAL rules. YOU go back and watch the videos and then read the rules. Prosise especially, but both receivers were blocking, not running routes, and neither attempted to disengage the DB's, period.

You can see that Darby stepped in front of Fuller to cut off his route, but Fuller checked him with his hands to block, or screen Robinson. Prosise CLEARLY drove Ramsey right at the official.

It is what it is. The ref shouldn't have called it, but he did, and he is justified, petty, but justified. Move on.

The Irish silenced the critics last night.

Either way, the call followed the ACTUAL rules. YOU go back and watch the videos and then read the rules. Prosise especially.....

Nonsense. You are selectively picking one rule and ignoring another you hair pulling idiot. Article 8c clearly states that, "Defensive pass interference is contact beyond the neutral zone by a Team B player whose intent to impede an eligible opponent is obvious and it could prevent the opponent the opportunity of receiving a catchable forward pass." This is exactly what happened to Prosise, who immediately gets grabbed by the defender and is contued to be grabbed as he goes downfield on the thouchdown play and to Robinson on the previous play.

It takes a lot of nerve to come here and and cherry pick the rules favoring an opponent on such an egregiously homer job that could cost us the National Championship.

Nonsense. You are selectively picking one rule and ignoring another you hair pulling idiot. Article 8c clearly states that, "Defensive pass interference is contact beyond the neutral zone by a Team B player whose intent to impede an eligible opponent is obvious and it could prevent the opponent the opportunity of receiving a catchable forward pass." This is exactly what happened to Prosise, who immediately gets grabbed by the defender and is contued to be grabbed as he goes downfield on the thouchdown play and to Robinson on the previous play.

It takes a lot of nerve to come here and and cherry pick the rules favoring an opponent on such an egregiously homer job that could cost us the National Championship.

Go bully somebody else. I'm an Irish Fan and always will be. Prosise was nowhere near the ball, and therefore your argument is irrelevant.

I'm not here to debate you Frankus, and I am hardly cherry-picking, lol. At least I have the nerve to voice my opinion even when it goes against the favor of my own team.

The truth is, if the roles were reversed, you'd be arguing how legit that call was. Look, I get it. I frequently succumb to blind homerism. What changed my mind was Everett Golson and the humility he showed in his post-game interview. I then proceeded to look closely at what happened, and what the rule states. I stand by my opinion, and although it still pisses me off, the call was correct.

I think the ref was wrong for throwing the flag for something which had ZERO affect on the actual play, and which affected the final outcome of the game. It was as petty as it gets.

By the way Frankus, I'm sure Coach Kelly isn't throwing in the towel on the season as you are.

There is also a missed call when the FSU player removes his helmet after the same play..

Would have resulted in ND first down inside the 10.

After the play wouldn't have given ND a first down even if called. Would of been half the distance to the goal and a longer first down for FSU.