What troubles me most about the Investigation

That, according to some of my DD colleagues, I'm supposed to feel sorry for these guys that it took the length of time it did for ND to sort it all out.

Why should I be upset when someone who obviously did something wrong was given as much time as necessary to have their innocence or guilt vetted?

Especially when there was a timing issue relative to the information coming forth over the summer when school wasn't even in session yet.

I wish nothing but the best for everyone involved, and I'll welcome any one of them back once their sentences are served.

But the bottom line is, they put themselves in this position, 100 percent.

And once they did. they deserved whatever the consequences from that point forward.

That's what being accountable for your decisions is all about.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Amen. I think the outrage would have felt a bit more justified if the players were all found innocent, but the evidence against them was likely pretty strong. At a time when we're playing FSU and Jameis Winston, there could be no better contrast to draw between universities than the difference between the investigative processes at both schools.

Exactly. Even if you want to complain about the way it was handled, the process, etc., the final word is that they did something they weren't supposed to do and now they are paying the consequences.

How about we talk about what these kids did to put their team, the school, etc. in jeopardy? You want to make decisions to screw your own life up, have at it. But once your decisions start affecting others, especially large entities such as a university, it gets much worse.

I have nothing against the young men but let's not forget that this wasn't DD's first time getting in trouble so it's not as though he's some kind of martyr.

I for one am glad that ND attempts to live by a certain standard, even if it costs them.

I am not bothered by the time it took, but i don't understand why ND couldn't lay out the process... and they do not seem to understand the definition of "imminent."

It's about expectation management.

Jenkins & Swarbrick made a big splash to announce the suspensions and investigations... heightened anxiety with "vacate win" comment, then ... flatline.

Would it not have been easy (easier) to say

"The folllowing players are being held out of football related activities as there is an allegation over academic impropriety. The University will be conducting an investigation per its honor code practice, and in parallel, we will also be assessing compliance with NCAA regulations. The timeline for closure depends on what the investigation reveals. We will update the community when appropriate, and with sensitivity and respect to the individuals involved."

DONE... 1 week.. 4 months... who cares. ND did not manage the expectations / communications well, IMO.

That said, the honor committee found these players to be in violation.... the consequences have obviously been communicated. Glad KVR and Ishaq are responding like adults. Not surprised by DevDan's response.

If we presume all are guilty and deserving of a six game suspension or worse, you are right. And I get why you would presume that at this point. But why on earth would anyone have presumed that in August or September?

Because if they were presumed innocent and later found to be ineligible, the wins they played in would have been meaningless, I assume. Such is the problem with retroactive punishment from the NCAA - schools who recognize culpability have to be so proactive to a fault.

If we presume all are guilty and deserving of a six game suspension or worse, you are right. And I get why you would presume that at this point. But why on earth would anyone have presumed that in August or September?

I didn't presume anything other than something obviously happened involving ND students that raised serious red flags and needed to be investigated.

And with it still being summer, I also knew there was a logistic issue as some of the accused and most of the investigators and student and university penalty councils hadn't even arrived on campus yet.

And that would cause a delay in the process

As far as guilt or innocence, I didn't presume anything

I am not bothered by the time it took, but i don't understand why ND couldn't lay out the process... and they do not seem to understand the definition of "imminent."

It's about expectation management.

Jenkins & Swarbrick made a big splash to announce the suspensions and investigations... heightened anxiety with "vacate win" comment, then ... flatline.

Would it not have been easy (easier) to say

"The folllowing players are being held out of football related activities as there is an allegation over academic impropriety. The University will be conducting an investigation per its honor code practice, and in parallel, we will also be assessing compliance with NCAA regulations. The timeline for closure depends on what the investigation reveals. We will update the community when appropriate, and with sensitivity and respect to the individuals involved."

DONE... 1 week.. 4 months... who cares. ND did not manage the expectations / communications well, IMO.

That said, the honor committee found these players to be in violation.... the consequences have obviously been communicated. Glad KVR and Ishaq are responding like adults. Not surprised by DevDan's response.

I thought they laid that plan out in the PC.

I kept pretty mum about the investigation. I believe my only comment in one thread was that if it comes to light that the players did something wrong, then I found it to be disappointing. I won't condemn them, since that's not me who needs to go before my family, teammates, and coaches to explain what happened and why I felt I needed to do this when it could/did cost me and them a lot.

As for the university, again I won't condemn the process. I'll admit I checked the update thread on their status at least once a day and on multiple websites hoping for something to break. I don't know about how the investigation unfolded or the thoroughness of it, but I suspect that it was vetted out pretty well since its something the school values and takes very seriously. Its much like investigations I've been apart of, the public, news hounds, victims, and families want to know everything now and see the matter resolved. Many times it just isn't going to happen on someone else's timeline.

In the end I hope these players and any other students who were involved, get themselves back on track and move forward from here in a positive manner.

Agree with all of the above, and I for one was outraged at snails pace of the investigation, but I would really like to hear something about the regular students involved and the decisions handed down to them, did they get the same type of punishment?