Golston

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doug Flutie commented on Golson getting out of the pocket faster after the fumble and interception and sure enough he started to decide to run out of the pocket more quickly instead of staying in the pocket. Flutie also commented that when Golson stays in the pocket, he tends to step up too far which gives the defensive ends who are being blocked by our tackles a cleaner shot at him. If that's correct, it's a spacing issue that is part of his development. The nice thing is that if he wants to, he can make the quicker decision to either pass or run and if its run he's got enough speed and quickness to make things happen.

Another big problem is Hegarty, who has slow feet and gets beat one on one a lot by nose tackles, and has trouble keeping contact on lineman stunts.

Doug Flutie commented on Golson getting out of the pocket faster after the fumble and interception and sure enough he started to decide to run out of the pocket more quickly instead of staying in the pocket. Flutie also commented that when Golson stays in the pocket, he tends to step up too far which gives the defensive ends who are being blocked by our tackles a cleaner shot at him. If that's correct, it's a spacing issue that is part of his development. The nice thing is that if he wants to, he can make the quicker decision to either pass or run and if its run he's got enough speed and quickness to make things happen.

Another big problem is Hegarty, who has slow feet and gets beat one on one a lot by nose tackles, and has trouble keeping contact on lineman stunts.

Keep in mind Flutie has also been critical of him to using his feet too soon, too

Easy to be right when you have all bases covered.

Absolutely holds it too long. Indecisive and ball protection. He's got to get better. He is taking steps back

I think he's at a point of confusion in his mind, where the coaches are impressing upon him to not immediately scramble at the first sign of trouble, but rather to just step up in the pocket between protection ("protection" used very loosely w/our O-line.)

Just a matter of some growing pains till he masters the nuances.

I just did not see it as "golston" -:grin:- holding the ball too long---I tend to agree with mayock here, the OLINE has been very erratic and on MANY plays somebody just either WHIFFS or MISSES the block and guys come clear...

EG took a bit of a beating yesterday on his back very often---on the pick he unloaded the ball VERY QUICK--that was too quick without an evaluation---when he stepped up in the pocket it too often COLLAPSES on him.

I see ball security when he is running as an issue but holding the ball too long , not really a problem----can't throw it till someone is open and we have many routes where it takes a beat or three before anyone can clear----

Last two weeks EG on his back more then I would like to see----and the root of that is missing blocks and intermittent confusion on the OLINE.

aloha's

He held on a bit long early yesterday, and kept stepping up *into* pressure as well, putting his OL into some tougher spots. A couple early holds were because Golson left the pocket, and instead of the OL being able to direct the D Ends up the field and usually behind Golson, Golson ran right in front of the DE and the OL had to hold to keep Golson safe.

Hegarty is driving me crazy and I don't get it. I watched him at the OU camp and he was extremely quick and some considered him a 5 star left tackle. Something happened.

The O line is the problem. They do not pick up blitzes very well and when Golson steps up in the pocket, it collapses around him and he has no where to go. His first fumble was when the defender got free from the LT and hit him from behind.

You can blame Golson all you want but he is all we have. Seriously! We do not have a run game that can win a game or even come close. We do not have a second QB that can pass, so we will win or lose with Golson.

What happened to all of the 7-5 8-4 prediction guys?