good move silas

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If he would have left PSU because they were not winning enough or some other superficial reason I would agree. However, that was a very bad situation. If you were an athlete there you would hopefully consider weather staying to help you teammates or being part of an institution where something so horrible would happen and everyone in power just covered it up.

Must have been a difficult desision.

dump your buddies to go play in the las vegas bowl....how is that draft status now. you cuold of stayed and gained 1500 yds in BOB's offense and been a first round pick. Laney did real good for ya didnt he.

Plus there was that little matter of his school being disgraced in the most disgusting scandal in the history of sports (name a worse one if you disagree). Can't blame the guy for leaving. It's just that his choice of new team sucked, and it seems like he was more interested in walking into a title than upping his draft stock.

He averaged more YPC, just got the ball about 75 fewer times. We shouldnt question why a kid left. He cant predict the future. And seeing two years to go he knew one thing for sure: he'd never have the chance to play for a title of any kind at penn state. Lets not hate on a 20-year-old kid cuz he went to SC. Life is bigger than football. And even kiffin showed great sportsmanship when he worked to find a private moment to congratulate manti after game.

It shows he isn't a team player. He is more interested in self than team. When the going got tough he left. Since NFL RBs are a dime a dozen character issues matter more than some other positions. If I was an NFL GM I wouldn't draft him. He will prolly get drafted somewhere in the round 5-7 range.

Wow. I guess we assume he has poor character because he wanted to distance himself from a university that didn't help stop some pretty sick acts. Would you be saying these things if he went to Notre Dame. Will Fuller not on the team yet, but the 3-star WR decommited from Penn State to go to Notre Dame ...

Guess there is a reason you aren't an NFL GM :grin:

It shows he isn't a team player. He is more interested in self than team. When the going got tough he left. Since NFL RBs are a dime a dozen character issues matter more than some other positions. If I was an NFL GM I wouldn't draft him. He will prolly get drafted somewhere in the round 5-7 range.

Normally, I would agree with you 100%! But man, I just have to believe that if I were a player, I would want to get as far from that school and circumstances too. I cannot say 100% that I wouldn't have went somewhere else. Also he chose USC when they were preseason #1 and expected to play for all the marbles this year. I almost can't blame him.

Hindsight is 20/20. The PSU program was RADIOACTIVE when he left. I can't fault him for leaving, as I would have done the same.

And yeah, while USC went 7-5, they were the preseason #1 team and DESPERATELY needed a runner like Redd. So again, can't fault him for heading West to play in LA.

I can't believe some of you are bagging on the kid.

EDIT: Oh, and even if it's the Las Vegas Bowl, at least he'll actually be playing in a postseason bowl...

so he went from one school on probation to another? Nope, not accepting that reason.

Come on, the "probation" at USC Redd walked into would have no impact on him. The bowl ban is over -- the scholarship reduction would take place after his year was over. And Rocket's right -- the circumstances at both schools were FAR different.

This was done for one reason and one reason only -- because USC was going to show case his talent as a top 5 team and because he might have been able to play for a national championship. I'm not going to bag on the kid for that reason.

I have a feeling that if the kid transferred to a school that wasn't USC, we wouldn't care. And that's fair. But at the time he transferred, USC was in need of a running back of Redd's caliber, and they were the #1 team in the country. Just because USC stunk this year doesn't mean his decision deserves to be criticized.

Also, from all accounts, Redd is a solid kid with a good head on his shoulders.

Bottom line is he is a 20-year-old kid who did what he thought was best for his future. How do we as grown men sit here and question why he went. He didn't do anything wrong. Not one single thing. Absolutely NOTHING wrong with that. He signed up at Penn State not knowing all these horrible atrocities would happen. Things changed. I'm sure he'd tell you he wishes NONE OF THAT HORRIBLE STUFF HAPPENED TO THOSE KIDS. And that in a perfect world, JoePa would be the coach and he'd be at Penn State. But that wasn't the case. So leave Silas alone. :pray2:

Would you be saying these things if he went to Notre Dame. Will Fuller not on the team yet, but the 3-star WR decommited from Penn State to go to Notre Dame ...

Yes, I would. How many times has Lynch been criticized on this website. Fuller was a verbal which is non-binding and was not a memeber of the team nor had any ties with any of the players. Totally different and not at all applicable to Redd's situation.