Too much emphasis on mother ship

the only people ESPN influences is the general public.

many of you on this board put too much stock in this sports entertainment entity. There is no agenda there. The people on the radio shows are not told what to say. They aren't policy makers.

And there has been plenty done by people there touting ND. Just because on analyst or radio host says they like Johnny Manziel doesn't mean ALL of ESPN is against Manti.

Secondly, ESPN does not sway or influence voters to vote certain ways. I work with someone closely who votes in harris poll and the heisman. his votes aren't swayed by watching ESPN.

All the polls are based on either factual mathematical calculations, or human votes. There is no mathematical way ND falls to No. 2 after SEC title game. Computer rankings won't change at all. And no way enough voters will come close to swaying enough to make that big of a difference.

Take the main sports media station for what it is, sports entertainment. Very smart, sports savvy people work there, but they have to fill endless hours of programming. The FBC people there either played football at high level or coached. They are entitled to own opinions. Are they individually biased? Maybe they are. But aren't we toward the Irish? Won't we work to come up with arguments why ND deserves everything all the time :)

anyway, just don't think they control the sports world, as far as influencing voters. they don't. The SEC is good. and really, the rankings are spot on. Although Florida has played tougher sked than Alabama and Georgia ...

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

ESPN is a major, major reason college sports are wildy popular in the American mainstream. They began brodcasting all the big games, all the time, for both college basketball/football. They have always had a bias against ND, mainly due to the NBC contract imo. The top 5 viewed games of the 1990s for college football involved ND. They want a share of that not just a road game or so. Now, for them, they must concede and recognize our greatness. Not our relevance but greatness. ESPN does have some impact on voters etc. due to the amazing exposure. We have shut them up real good this year and need to finish the job January 7.

So wait, you know *one guy* and that automatically becomes the status quo for all other voters?

They influence Heisman voters, AP Poll voters, and the public's perception of certain teams and conferences. Yea, that's nothing to worry about...

They have 2.5 billion reasons to pump up the SEC. If you do not see that or wish to deny it, please go outside more.

For the record, I still visit ESPN quite often. I've learned to shrug off the idiocy of some writers and try to just get the facts and filter out the opinions. I also frequent Yahoo! Sports as they have some darn good writers nowadays... Then again, I have absolutely zero influence in the game of college football, I'm just a media consuming whore.

So wait, you know *one guy* and that automatically becomes the status quo for all other voters?

They influence Heisman voters, AP Poll voters, and the public's perception of certain teams and conferences. Yea, that's nothing to worry about...

They have 2.5 billion reasons to pump up the SEC. If you do not see that or wish to deny it, please go outside more.

ESPN does not influence the voters.

1. coaches usually vote along conference lines and for their own teams

2. harris poll voters do not vote based on what ESPN says.

3. AP writers are usually people that cover games and see a lot of football.

4. computer rankings I believe are mostly fact and math based equations.

and look at ESPN.com right now. An article and picture leading the home page from Skip Bayless saying Manti deserves the heisman.

now there are other writers that work for espy will write the other way.

Taking notice. Skip Bayless was in my graduating class at Northwest Classen high school.

and look at ESPN.com right now. An article and picture leading the home page from Skip Bayless saying Manti deserves the heisman.

now there are other writers that work for espy will write the other way.

Thanks for the heads up on the article, I just read it and am impressed Skip owned up the way he did. He's right, Manziel was a great QB in 10 games. T'eo was a force and a difference maker in all 12.

ESPN just aired about a 90 second piece on Notre Dame, and at the end everyone should give them a standing ovation.

Just saw that, for them being alleged ND haters it was very well done.

The whole ESPN hates ND is so tiresome. Every school thinks they are hated by ESPN, its ridiculous.

Just to be clear, I don't believe ESPN is skewed toward or away from ND. For every May you have Holtz, for every Parker you have Golic. Then you have someone like Herbstreit who is always fair, IMO. The only thing I take issue with is the notion that they have no power over voters. That's like saying Fox News and MSNBC have no pull with the camps they cater to. Sorry to the guy who hates politics muddying his newfound home, but it's the best analogy I can think of. I *do* think ESPN sways votes one way or another, they just have too much reach and influence not to. It's debatable just which way that influence swings, admittedly.

Just to be clear, I don't believe ESPN is skewed toward or away from ND. For every May you have Holtz, for every Parker you have Golic. Then you have someone like Herbstreit who is always fair, IMO. The only thing I take issue with is the notion that they have no power over voters. That's like saying Fox News and MSNBC have no pull with the camps they cater to. Sorry to the guy who hates politics muddying his newfound home, but it's the best analogy I can think of. I *do* think ESPN sways votes one way or another, they just have too much reach and influence not to. It's debatable just which way that influence swings, admittedly.

So who do they influence?

The computers. no.

The AP? no, those guys are voting on what they see. Are journalists and think their own opinion is correct.

The Harris Poll voters? No. probably not. These list of people aren't turning on ESPN to see who they should vote for.

The coaches? I think SEC coaches vote for SEC teams. Benefits their schools if SEC school goes to the big bowls. And it makes them look better if teams the played are higher. There's that influence, no matter what conference. But even BK says coaches don't see enough of other teams to make decisions. They see highlights (maybe on the internet, maybe ESPN, maybe FOXsports).

Ask yourself this. If you had a vote in any poll, would you turn on ESPN to decide who is better?

We think alike!