Practices

I know we get extra practices because of being in a bowl game. I hear it is 15 extra practices. Shouldn't BCS bowl teams get more? It is 42 days until the game. Are they going to take the next two weeks off and then start practicing again? Do you schedule those 15 however the team wants? Does someone know how this works?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is from the NCAA website, so I'd assume it is accurate.

"Although there is no specific limit on the number of practices teams may hold while preparing for a bowl game, standard NCAA rules apply for student-athletes’ participation in practice or other athletically related activities. Same as the regular season, these rules limit practice and other athletic activities to a maximum of four hours per day and 20 hours per week."

This whole page is dedicated to post season football:

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/NCAA/Resources/Postseason+Football/

Do you guys think they deserve a break? or should they keep on practicing like they have a game every weekend and then do live scrimmages on Saturdays? how do most coaches handle this?

It seems like the offenses of teams in NC games are affected the most with their timing.

I'm all for giving the team this week off, but if you really want to get better, the only days you get off are Christmas Eve and Christmas

After seeing how flat tOSU was against UF in 2006? Can't remember off the top of my head what year, but they had a similarly-long layoff and looked the part for most of the game. The SEC still will have a 35-day layoff so it's not that different. I want to say that year the difference was 2 whole weeks from when tOSU last played until UF last played.

Give them 3-4 days off and then start running them and lifting and feeding them like cattle! Keep hitting to twice a week through the game. I wouldn't change a thing. Whatever we have done so far works. I'd put in some dazzle dazzle and figure out ways to get the ball in Jetson and a browns hands.

This is from the NCAA website, so I'd assume it is accurate.

"Although there is no specific limit on the number of practices teams may hold while preparing for a bowl game, standard NCAA rules apply for student-athletes’ participation in practice or other athletically related activities. Same as the regular season, these rules limit practice and other athletic activities to a maximum of four hours per day and 20 hours per week."

This whole page is dedicated to post season football:

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/NCAA/Resources/Postseason+Football/

Hmmm, I thought it was 15 practices.

So, you're telling me they can practice four or five times a week for the next five weeks, as long as they don't go over 20 hours that week?

That would be huge!!

Hmmm, I thought it was 15 practices.

So, you're telling me they can practice four or five times a week for the next five weeks, as long as they don't go over 20 hours that week?

That would be huge!!

My guess is that last year they had 15 practices and that is where that number came from.

If you assume they'll get a week off after the last game, that will leave 34 days or something left until the game.

However, last year they played on Dec. 28th. So if they had starting practicing after this weeks games, that only left 25 days or so to practice with travel and such. So giving them a few days off, that would leave about 15 practice days.

This year, they are playing 10 days later, so I'd guess they would have more practices than just 15.

My guess is that last year they had 15 practices and that is where that number came from.

If you assume they'll get a week off after the last game, that will leave 34 days or something left until the game.

However, last year they played on Dec. 28th. So if they had starting practicing after this weeks games, that only left 25 days or so to practice with travel and such. So giving them a few days off, that would leave about 15 practice days.

This year, they are playing 10 days later, so I'd guess they would have more practices than just 15.

Man, that would be sweet. I know there is a fine line between burning your players out and getting meaningful reps. But, top to bottom, this would be huge for player development now and in the future.

Man, that would be sweet. I know there is a fine line between burning your players out and getting meaningful reps. But, top to bottom, this would be huge for player development now and in the future.

That is the real key. Guys like Gunner, all the younger guys who didn't play much, basically can go balls out for three weeks with no repercussions. Meanwhile, the older guys heal up, work on some stuff and get back to hard work 2-3 weeks out.

Oh, I remember the 15 practices thing being thrown around when we were going to the Hawaii Bowl under CW.

After seeing how flat tOSU was against UF in 2006? Can't remember off the top of my head what year, but they had a similarly-long layoff and looked the part for most of the game. The SEC still will have a 35-day layoff so it's not that different. I want to say that year the difference was 2 whole weeks from when tOSU last played until UF last played.

The last 2 years ND has come into their bowl game ready to go, especially the defense. Past history shows BK knows how to get this team ready for a bowl game after a long lay off!!

Maybe the rules have changed as the games have gotten farther away?

Yes, i think when your conference goes to BCS games especially the S E C you have to let them have more than 15 practices. What are you going to do with a bunch of kids for 40 days or more who do not have to attend class or take exams? Gotta keep them off the streets and out of the "strip clubs".