Is anyone worried about OL recruiting?

We have 5 great prospects committed but we lose Zach Martin, Braxton Cave, Chris Watt, and Mike Golic as starters. That leaves only Christian Lombard as the starter. We also lost Nichols and I'm waiting for an update on Hegarty, hoping he is ok. If we lose Hegarty we only have Heggie as back up. Then we have Nick Martin, Ronnie Stanley, Connor Hanratty, and who else?

Edited by mcdougal93
changed "worried" to concerned

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

We have 5 great prospects committed but we lose Zach Martin, Braxton Cave, Chris Watt, and Mike Golic as starters. That leaves only Christian Lombard as the starter. We also lost Nichols and I'm waiting for an update on Hegarty, hoping he is ok. If we lose Hegarty we only have Heggie as back up. Then we have Nick Martin, Ronnie Stanley, Connor Hanratty, and who else?

I believe there is chance that Martin and Watt might be back as fifth years. That would definitely be a big plus for next year.

What the hell? We have 5 great prospects committed. THAT is o-line recruiting. Your "worry" isn't about o-line recruiting, so I'm not sure why it's in the recruiting forum. You're worried about o-line thinness next year on the actual team - and it isn't even PAST recruiting, because much of it is due to attrition (Matt James, Tate Nichols, Prestwood, Bullard).

This is not a recruiting thread.

I mean if this is a recruiting thread, here'd by my question to you - what would you have the coaches do about it, right now, in recruiting? They have a massive o-line class committed.

Thiazi... you bring up some good points... in an excited way. :-)

Anyway, we're all friends here.

Attrition has been an unfortunate problem, and I hope Hegarty isn't added to that list.

If worse came to worse, I wonder if some DL/DE depth and/or TE depth might be transitioned to the OL. Perhaps Welch is moved to tackle, or ... who?

Kelly has me hooked on how he recruits body-types - Power (Line), Big Skill (LBs, TEs, Safety?) and Skill (WR, RB, DB, QB).

Some people buried at DE or TE may find opportunity elsewhere. Often the recruiting can be internal.

Thoughts?

I think short of taking transfers, the coaches are doing about all they can do or are going to do. I don't see them sacrificing the d-linemen, except (possibly) Hounshell, and I doubt they'd want to move even him.

Watt (one hopes)

Martin (one hopes)

Lombard

makes three starters back. Golic, tho improved, should be able to be replaced competently (at least) from within. Lombard may even slide over to take his spot and someone else take Lombard's place at tackle. Center is the biggest concern, but Hegarty was being groomed for it and was a top recruit - until we hear any more or any more definitive statements on his long-term situation, we can't really have a good discussion about this. Assuming the two guys return for fifth years, I think we'll be ok next year, although obviously if Hegarty isn't around it would be a challenge.

This will sound wrong, but o-line depth is a luxury. If you have 8 guys on o-line you feel comfortable putting out there, you'll be fine most years.

Am i the only person worried about TE....

Welch is coming off an injury

Koyack has showed nothing

Nicklas has showed very little

I agree with what you are saying. I think we will be using four wideouts as our standard set occasionally next year.

I love the upside of Niklas. Niklas has not been used in passing game much as he was not needed there. But I thought he showed good upside as a receiver. When Eifert is the starting TE, the backup will not be in a position to show too much. Niklas is very athletic and incredible size.

I'm not worried about our OL. Martin and Watt are likely to be back so we will only be replacing 2. Plus we have a great OL class coming in next fall. Keep in mind that these 5 incoming OL were offered very early in the process by ND so we obviously liked each of them a ton.

anyone follow the nfl draft enough to have a sense of where either martin or watt might likely go in the draft?

i'm hopeful both return. i think martin will return in part to be on a line with his brother.

Some feel that Martin will shift to OG in NFL due to his heigth. That would reduce his draft status as OT are much more highly regarded.

Don't forget our fledgling QB has missed open targets this year including but not limited to the TEs, due to not hanging in the pocket long enough and inexperience. Coach and announcers have commented on this. I trust the coaches will address needs / concerns as needed.

I am not worried, Eifert is getting 98% of the attention at the TE position. Next year, Koyack will step into Eifert's role as the Receiving TE and Niklas's role will be expanded.

Koyack definitely needs to work on his blocking, but Koyack is very similar to Eifert across the board and Eifert was not a very good blocker until this year.

Niklas is a monster who has only played 1 year of TE, I expect him to grow quite a bit as a solid TE, Niklas as shown that he can catch as well.

However, saying they have shown nothing up to this point is not very fair considering Eifert has earned 98% of the attention at the TE position. Why would Kelly take Eifert off the field to put in Koyack or Niklas as the primary TE for the play?