This team's flaws

To me the biggest flaws are:

A young, inexperienced QB who isn't "there" yet, a limited back-up QB and the absence of a dominant, NFL caliber wide receiver.

I think our flaws will deny us the "biggest" prize.

And I am OK with that.

On the other hand I have to give major props to this coaching staff for understanding those flaws and designing game plans in which those weaknesses were protected and our strengths were accentuated.

We are 7-0 because our staff understands exactly what it has with this group and coaches it accordingly.

It isn't stylish and it goes against BK's profile but I respect the hell out of him for adapting his personality to fit the DNA of this particular team.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flawed yes but then so is every team. Kudos to Kelly and his staff for playing well with the hand they've been dealt.

The flip side is that we have our strengths too and the staff has used those strengths to get to 7-0, which few expected. (Certainly not me. I thought we'd be sitting at 5-2 at this point.)

To me the biggest flaws are:

A young, inexperienced QB who isn't "there" yet, a limited back-up QB and the absence of a dominant, NFL caliber wide receiver.

I think our flaws will deny us the "biggest" prize.

And I am OK with that.

On the other hand I have to give major props to this coaching staff for understanding those flaws and designing game plans in which those weaknesses were protected and our strengths were accentuated.

We are 7-0 because our staff understands exactly what it has with this group and coaches it accordingly.

It isn't stylish and it goes against BK's profile but I respect the hell out of him for adapting his personality to fit the DNA of this particular team.

I don't know. Kelly was a LB. defense may be his DNA. I think he was smart enough to know you don't win with defense at Central Mich and Cincy. You win by out scoring everyone.

At ND you can get the athletes to build a dominate D and strong running game. I think every coach would choose an elite D and power run game if they could. It's the safest way to build a winner.

you are right on NDBadabing

Passing Game is our biggest flaw. We average 194 yards per game (100th in the nation)

Other stats of note:

Rushing Game we're 38th and climbing averaging 193.9 yards per game (wow uncanny 194) that defines balanced

Points for: 25.9 (77th)

Points against: 9.4 (2nd)

Source:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/87/notre-dame-fighting-irish

Edited by FaithInIrishForever

Our biggest flaw is special teams.

We have a stud kick returner who needs but one crease to go the distance but the blocking scheme never gets it done.

We have a punt returner that every college in the land was drooling over to get, yet we never set up a punt return because we play it safe in case there's a fake punt-- on every single punt our opponents make and they make a million of them with the great defense we play

Very,very frustrating

We are near the bottom in rankings in kick and punt returns. Oklahoma is in the top five.

They say special teams are one-third of the game, Why are we not taking advantage of our skill players?

Our biggest flaw is special teams.

We have a stud kick returner who needs but one crease to go the distance but the blocking scheme never gets it done.

We have a punt returner that every college in the land was drooling over to get, yet we never set up a punt return because we play it safe in case there's a fake punt-- on every single punt our opponents make and they make a million of them with the great defense we play

Very,very frustrating

We are near the bottom in rankings in kick and punt returns. Oklahoma is in the top five.

They say special teams are one-third of the game, Why are we not taking advantage of our skill players?

Good point. I think the two clear areas of improvement are:

- Passing Game- less frustrating because we think we know Golson will improve with experience, and We're recruiting Receivers like Torii Hunter Jr.

- Special Teams re: Kick/punt return- More frustrating because in the case of punt return its been an unsolved mystery for 3 years..

Note: Kick coverage has never been an issue.

- Passing Game- less frustrating because we think we know Golson will improve with experience, and We're recruiting Receivers like Torii Hunter Jr.

Why no slants or crossing routes for quick hitters that can be turned upfield, or throws to other tight ends when Eifert is double/triple teamed? This is a fixable flaw in our passing game, our current routes take too long to set up!

- play calling coming in to the players

- special teams (lack of ability to set up any kind of return)

- green QB vs. limited ability (outside "moxy") QB

- lack of offensive identity

- best tight end in the nation not getting enough touches

I am glad that it's not: - secondary that keeps getting burned (yet)

Biggest Flaw

RIGHT GUARD

I think Golic's biggest weaknes is pass blocking. If you review the games you will see that he is a decent (not superb) run blocker. When he pulls and traps into the hole he gets his man. I saw at least one pancake he had this past week. I'm not saying he is our best lineman, but I think he has received too much criticism lately and not enough praise for playing better. The Oklahoma dline will be a test for him

Why no slants or crossing routes for quick hitters that can be turned upfield, or throws to other tight ends when Eifert is double/triple teamed? This is a fixable flaw in our passing game, our current routes take too long to set up!

I've wondered why we don't call slants too, but with Golson, I think Kelly is afraid that if he called a slant, and a corner is in that area, golson will still throw it.

I've wondered why we don't call slants too, but with Golson, I think Kelly is afraid that if he called a slant, and a corner is in that area, golson will still throw it.

I think that is part of it, it is a Qb read play. Also, though, ND has seen a lot of heavy defense in that part of the field to prevent the draw / run. If you look at opposing D, seldom are they dropping their backers into coverage, aside from babysitting Eifert. The middle of the field is not often open. I think that is why they are talking so much this week about misdirection.

I have thought all season that 8 - 10 yard throws would be a staple in the Irish offensive diet, I am hopeful for this week.

I think our biggest flaw is...performance in home games. For whatever reason I think the "home team" pressure gets to the team and they play tight.

Scores in ND stadium: 20-17, 13-6, 20-13, 17-14.

Scores away from ND stadium: 50-10, 20-3, 41-3.

Coincidental? I think not!! I hope the trend continues.

Regarding the play calling. It seemed to flow the best during the MSU game when we used wristbands. No timeouts or delay of game penalties. ND seemed to get to the line and quickly run plays. It was the best tempo I can remembder during BK's tenure. Maybe we should bring back the wristbands???