Next year's Offensive Line

In order to keep this ball rolling, we must keep both lines very powerful and grow their depth. I am very happy with next year's offensive line and here is how I see it.

Left tackle ~~ All important for our right handed qb's. Zack Martin should come back for his 5th year and be stellar at 6' 4'' and 305. Extremely gifted, quick footed, smart and essential piece to the puzzle.

Left guard ~~ Chris Watt could be very dominant at 310 and a road grader mentality. Left side of the line is as good as anybody in the country.

Center ~~ Hard to improve on Braxton Cave, but Matt Hegarty was moved here to put our best athlete on the field next year. He has progressed nicely in the weight room and will play at 6' 5'' and about 305. Maybe a few problems early as with most new centers, but this is a great athlete. I watched film of him when he came to Oklahoma's camp. Great great feet.

Right guard ~~ Goodbye Mr. Golic. Hello Nick Martin. Superior athlete to Golic. Better feet. Should play at 6' 4'' and about 300. Possibility of moving Lombard here.

Right Tackle ~~ Christian Lombard is the returning starter, but I think Ronnie Stanley is a future NFL tackle and has feet good enough to play left tackle. I would want to get him on the field as soon as possible since we already wasted a year of his eligibility. Stanley is 6' 6'' and will play at about 310 or better. Either way, I think we improve at right tackle next year.

Coming out of the gate we may be a slight bit set back next year, but the potential is to actually improve by mid season. I like what we are doing here and the freshmen can all redshirt. Great group of 5.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great assessment Oklahoma. I love the size of our O-line and after watching the docutisement this weekend, I love the unity and the spirit. I think these guys are going to get big and strong and the talent is going to catch up with the scheme. I think Golic will be solid by the end of the year, even if it is all for not.

Next year is going to be offensively a lot more powerful than this year. I think that the early kinks will get worked out (We open with Meatchicken, Purdue, Cuse, Temple, and UConn) with either a bye week after week 2 or Rice. I think that the incoming talent looks good and they are going to load up on O-line recruits next year.

I was really impressed by the position coaches watching Onward this weekend. I think that in the next couple years people are going to come and try to poach Alford and Scott Booker in addition to Diaco. I want to see them bring in another big time TE next year, I think EG could do well in two tight end sets.

hmmm, if we get the left side back, I would like to see either

Martin, Watt, Hegarty, Martin, Lombard

-or-

Martin, Watt, Hegarty, Lombard, Nichols.

Remember, Nichols was battling for a starting spot this year, and many were saying that he was close to having that RT spot locked down and moving Lombard to Guard. Remember, Lombard can play either Guard or Tackle.

If Martin and Watt dont come back for whatever reason:

Stanley, Martin, Hegarty, Lombard, Nichols

Hanratty at Guard is also an option.

Edited by NDhoosier

hmmm, if we get the left side back, I would like to see either

Martin, Watt, Hegarty, Martin, Lombard

-or-

Martin, Watt, Hegarty, Lombard, Nichols.

Remember, Nichols was battling for a starting spot this year, and many were saying that he was close to having that RT spot locked down and moving Lombard to Guard. Remember, Lombard can play either Guard or Tackle.

If Martin and Watt dont come back for whatever reason:

Stanley, Martin, Hegarty, Lombard, Nichols

Hanratty at Guard is also an option.

I have been extremely high on Tate Nichols, but I am wondering if he ever fully recovered from injury. I thought sure he would start at right tackle and move Lombard over. But it didn't happen and I'm not hearing anything good about him. Still have very high hopes as he is huge and a great looking athlete. He used to brag about never getting beat when he first got to Notre Dame. He was even in line at left tackle, was the next man in before he got hurt. If he returns to full health then our offensive line will take a major leap forward in size, ability and depth.:thumb:

Losing Cave will definetly hurt. I too haven't been impressed with Lombard would not be shocked if Stanley surpasses him, I kinda expect it almost. Only thing I'll say is it can't be worse than this years o-line which is definetly a weak link. I remember a few plays where the o-line blocked maybe one guy, especially that play where golson chucked it up for daniels. That should have been a negative play thank god golsons an athlete.

Do not be suprised to see Connor Hanratty fighting hard for the RG position. I watched him in clean-up time during the Miami game. The dude plays angry and moves people. Plus, he will be a solid 315+ next year. We will have 8-9 good linemen to choose from.

Did Stanley play against Stanford? I know he played in the first two games but haven't seen or heard him play in anymore. If so, he may still be eligible(as a redshirt frosh) if he doesn't play after game six and on. Anybody know for certain?

I think our line will continue to be very good.

I think Zach Martin will come back for three reasons.

First to start a year with his brother, second I'm not sure he has a premium NFL grade yet, third his best friend on the team Chris Watt has another year.

I agree with much of what Oklahoma said Golic spot I think goes to Nick Martin, Cave spot to Hegarty. Ronnie Stanley might just take over at RT dude has an NFL body, depends when he develops

Did Stanley play against Stanford? I know he played in the first two games but haven't seen or heard him play in anymore. If so, he may still be eligible(as a redshirt frosh) if he doesn't play after game six and on. Anybody know for certain?

Only if an injury is involved can you play and keep your redshirt year. Otherwise, one play and you lose a year of eligibility.

Only if an injury is involved can you play and keep your redshirt year. Otherwise, one play and you lose a year of eligibility.

I don't think that is the case. Kelly was asked this question earlier in the year and intimated Stanley had to play due to the Nichols injury and would continue to play with the 2's but was looking to preserve his redshirt. I don't know the requirements but sure someone else has posted in another thread. If Stanley did not play Saturday he remains in good shape, though he's an injury away so hard to guess until the season is over.

Based on what Kelly is saying, that isn't the case. One play AFTER the half way point, and yes, you burned it. If you played less than 20% of the possible snaps during the first half of the season, and didn't play past the mid way point, I guess you can retain eligibility.

Based on what Kelly is saying, that isn't the case. One play AFTER the half way point, and yes, you burned it. If you played less than 20% of the possible snaps during the first half of the season, and didn't play past the mid way point, I guess you can retain eligibility.

There was confusion on this which caught me too. Kelly was referring to a medical year, which is no more than 3 games in the first 6 and none after 6, but he said that in response to the freshmen, so it got confused with basic redshirt rules, which is one snap and the year is done.