We did not force one turnover,,,

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

man we did not have one ourselves either! The thing was we could NOT get to the QB with 3 or 4, but we could not afford to blitz this week either and let our corners get abused.

No aggressive defense= no forced turnovers. But the big thing is it still equaled no big plays given up

no big plays given up= no points

no points=no miami win

Don't get me wrong, Diaco obviously called the game correctly and I do understand only rushing 3 to stop the "large chunks",,

BUT, not 1 sack or turnover? Hmmmm,,,,,,

I'll take it the win though, not bitching, just curious. Hopefully, Miami is just that disciplined and we still beat the crap out of 'em!

man we did not have one ourselves either! The thing was we could NOT get to the QB with 3 or 4, but we could not afford to blitz this week either and let our corners get abused.

No aggressive defense= no forced turnovers. But the big thing is it still equaled no big plays given up

no big plays given up= no points

no points=no miami win

^This. On many plays ND rushed 3 or 4 while Miami fought them off with 6. Sure no turnovers or sacks but Morris was still harassed into making inaccurate throws. Pretty good pressure for being outnumbered 2-1.

It really did boil down to dropping three consistently, and that Morris has more of a clue about whats going on in the pocket than Robinson. A little taller, a little better field vision, and... well, frankly it is easier to negotiate the pocket when you're only worrying about 3 guys coming at you.

Had we decided to blitz these guys a little bit, and in turn bring 4 as our consistent base defense, I'm sure we would have gotten more pressure and sack totals. Might have been beaten over the top more too. I'm not sweating the thought of our defensive front being imposters.

Less pressure, less turnovers. One lead to the other - and I'm okay with it.

It really did boil down to dropping three consistently, and that Morris has more of a clue about whats going on in the pocket than Robinson. A little taller, a little better field vision, and... well, frankly it is easier to negotiate the pocket when you're only worrying about 3 guys coming at you.

Had we decided to blitz these guys a little bit, and in turn bring 4 as our consistent base defense, I'm sure we would have gotten more pressure and sack totals. Might have been beaten over the top more too. I'm not sweating the thought of our defensive front being imposters.

Less pressure, less turnovers. One lead to the other - and I'm okay with it.

Totally agree. Would it be great to get 6 sacks a game? Yes. However, what is even better for a defense is gettting pressure with 3 and 4. No, they didn't always get home, but after the first few drives, Morris rarely had a clean pocket to throw from.

If you can disturb the pocket with 3 or 4 rushing, that makes for a very difficult defense to move the ball on.

Sacks are an overrated statistic. It's all about consistent pressure. If a d-lineman were to get 15 sacks this but very few other pressures, that's a much worse season than 0 sacks and pressure 35% of the time.

This was the case with the Broncos last year, everyone raved about them getting sacks but their consistent pressure was actually 27th best in the league so when they faced anyone with a good passing game they got torched.