Blowing our wad too soon?

I hope the title is not too graphic but since alford took over as recruiting coordinator, the strategy seemed to be locking in on mutually interested targets and get them to commit early.. All that is great-and we got some good kids, but I wonder with us having such a strong season and getting all this national attention, did we load up too fast? Would more elite players be willing to give Ole ND a longer look? Did hold back enough schollies?

Is it possible that AA, and Mattingly are the ones saying "If you're looking, we're looking"

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Davislove aloha--you seem to be trying very hard to find a "LEAD LINING IN EVERY RAINBOW"----:grin:---As of now the team, the QB, the coaching staff, and the recruiting are all going swimmingly---:fish2:

We have several spots left--three and perhaps 4 and if we get a decommit of course that goes to 5----

So if there are these "elite" players waiting on us they can jump aboard at any time----

#3 & #4 in recruiting does not look to me like a team thats taking whats available & compromising on less then "elite players"---This class may be missing a little of the flash of a DARBY or a NEAL but it is nonetheless loaded.

We finish with a top 5 class and a top 15 ranking and this program will be rocketed back to the top----2013 recruiting will match 2012 and 2010---and even the smaller class of 2011 is looking frosty---

KEEP WINNING & WE KEEP RECRUITING---KEEP RECRUITING TOP CLASSES & WE WILL IN TURN KEEP WINNING AND ON & ON LONG INTO THE NIGHT!

No reason at all to worry about players we are not getting ---we seem to be getting our share of talent and then some, i'm looking forward to a few more.

aloha's go irish!

This might be a controversial stance, but I don't want kids that are fickle.

You can keep Aaron Lynch for all I care. Our coaches jumped through hoop after hoop to get him, and it still didn't matter. Give me a 4 star that loves what ND offers and isn't high on his own paint fumes over a 5 star with a list of demands ANY day. Not even from a diva stance - quite simply, you won't get the most out of players that aren't fully invested.

This team is opening people's eyes because the players bought in, and play together. Other teams would be ripped apart with the jockeying we've seen at QB. Frankly, it's been a strength for Notre Dame. It starts with getting good guys that are even better fits for the school. It sounds like a cliched sound bite, but this team is showing it rather than living up to some quote.

You can keep Aaron Lynch for all I care. Our coaches jumped through hoop after hoop to get him, and it still didn't matter. Give me a 4 star that loves what ND offers and isn't high on his own paint fumes over a 5 star with a list of demands ANY day. Not even from a diva stance - quite simply, you won't get the most out of players that aren't fully invested.

This team is opening people's eyes because the players bought in, and play together. Other teams would be ripped apart with the jockeying we've seen at QB. Frankly, it's been a strength for Notre Dame. It starts with getting good guys that are even better fits for the school. It sounds like a cliched sound bite, but this team is showing it rather than living up to some quote.

I fully agree to a point.

Sometimes you have to work hard to really sell Notre Dame to a student athlete who belongs in blue and gold and green; but just does not realize it yet. For every Lynch, Shepard, or Greenberry, there is a Tuitt, Te'o, Niklas, or Ishaq.

You win some, you lose some. You sell a good product and do it honestly, but you also hustle a little and work it. With that philosophy, I believe it will all come out OK in the end.

Edited by 2lakes

if it is controversial brother, I stand or sit right with you.

How'd we replace the irreplaceable Lynch? A local star in Sheldon Day, who you don't hear a word of negativity from. The RKG is key. Losing Lynch was addition but subtraction I truly feel that way.

I fully agree to a point.

Sometimes you have to work hard to really sell Notre Dame to a student athlete who belongs in blue and gold and green. Take Tuitt, Manti, Niklas, and Ishaq as examples.

You win some, you lose some. You sell a good product honestly but you work it and it will all come out in the end.

Totally with you there. I'm speaking about the difference between a kid like, say, Spud Alexander, whose favorite school changes like a 16 year old girl's ideal prom dress while sifting through catalogs, and a kid like Isaac Rochell, who didn't want to go somewhere cold and only took a visit to appease his parents.

Gotta put up a fight to get these kids, but they HAVE to want more than just a spot on the depth chart to not only stick with, but flourish at Notre Dame.

Welcome back. Where did you disappear to? I like your recruiting contributions.

if it is controversial brother, I stand or sit right with you.

How'd we replace the irreplaceable Lynch? A local star in Sheldon Day, who you don't hear a word of negativity from. The RKG is key. Losing Lynch was addition but subtraction I truly feel that way.

Here here Faith. Lynch may grow up to be an NFL stud, but the kid I saw at ND liked to freelance too much, and that hurt the bottom line of the defense at times. Had he bought in 100%... well, we'll never know. Fact is, both sides are better off if the kid's heart isn't in it. So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Totally with you there. I'm speaking about the difference between a kid like, say, Spud Alexander, whose favorite school changes like a 16 year old girl's ideal prom dress while sifting through catalogs, and a kid like Isaac Rochell, who didn't want to go somewhere cold and only took a visit to appease his parents.

Gotta put up a fight to get these kids, but they HAVE to want more than just a spot on the depth chart to not only stick with, but flourish at Notre Dame.

I feel you, and there are certainly going to be some tough judgement calls where we make mistakes. The thing is not to anguish over them.

BTW, where do you see Anzalone in that spectrum?

Even BAMA takes in the 3 star recruit. I'm not as worried about the lack of flash in the class although I have shared some of the same sentiment

with Davislove.

I think Davislove meant more in the wake of our recent struggles on signing day, have we changed our philosophy.. Who knows, but I agree with the other posters that maybe changing our philosophy was a good thing and that we are far from bad shape on the recruiting front.

Recruiting HS players is probably more difficult than evaluating NFL ready talent as the kids haven't finished growing mentally, physically, and emotionally.

We're currently ranked in the top 10 in every recruiting ranking service, we have on of the best players in the country in Jaylon Smith and our LBs are considered the best collection of talent at any position over every school in the country according to Rivals. And we want more? Man, tough crowd.

We're currently ranked in the top 10 in every recruiting ranking service, we have on of the best players in the country in Jaylon Smith and our LBs are considered the best collection of talent at any position over every school in the country according to Rivals. And we want more? Man, tough crowd.

Maybe if we lock up Hargreaves, Ramsey, Demarcus Walker, and maybe Foster or Treadwell and I will find this class acceptable....maybe:-P I think we are hitting a homerun now and would like to see another big time DB and at least a legit ready to play D-linemen and an athlete in space for the offense.