Goslon vs. Rees - The first 4 starts

There are amazingly pretty similar in a lot of regards.

Statistically:

Rees: 61/101 60.3% 693 yards 8 TD 4 INT

Golson: 50/89 56.1% 641 yards 3 TD 3 INT 2 Rush TD

Pretty much a draw. Tommy completed a higher percentage, had one more INT, both had fumbles, similar yardage.

Team Results:

Both started 4-0. Both relied on defense more than offense to get there.

Averaged 27 points in Rees first 4 starts. Averaged 25 points in Golson's first 4 starts.

Defense gave up 9.75 points in Rees first 4 starts. Defense gave up 9 points in Golson's first 4 starts.

Both beat a top team on the road (USC, Mich. St.). Both beat an academy in an exotic local (Army in Yankee Stadium, Navy in Ireland). Both beat an "average" team (Utah, Purdue). Both beat a "name" team not quite as good as their name (Miami, Michigan)

Golson has made a few more plays with his legs. Tommy made a few more plays with his mind.

Tommy had Floyd to throw to. Golson probably has more overall offensive talent, but not the elite WR.

Again, pretty much a draw. Both are 4-0, you can argue Golson might not be without Rees, but Rees wouldn't have been without USC dropping game winning pass. Neither can really be proved, but both are *.

To me, the first four starts have been pretty equal. Both have had spots they were better, both have had spots they were worse.

Golson has better physical tools. The hope has to be that he can build from this point and become a better QB. The jury is still out. Tommy got a little better as well, but his stats last year are pretty similar to his first four starts, just over a full season. Golson needs to get much better than that for this team to get where it wants to go.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are amazingly pretty similar in a lot of regards.

Statistically:

Rees: 61/101 60.3% 693 yards 8 TD 4 INT

Golson: 50/89 56.1% 641 yards 3 TD 3 INT 2 Rush TD

Pretty much a draw. Tommy completed a higher percentage, had one more INT, both had fumbles, similar yardage.

Team Results:

Both started 4-0. Both relied on defense more than offense to get there.

Averaged 27 points in Rees first 4 starts. Averaged 25 points in Golson's first 4 starts.

Defense gave up 9.75 points in Rees first 4 starts. Defense gave up 9 points in Golson's first 4 starts.

Both beat a top team on the road (USC, Mich. St.). Both beat an academy in an exotic local (Army in Yankee Stadium, Navy in Ireland). Both beat an "average" team (Utah, Purdue). Both beat a "name" team not quite as good as their name (Miami, Michigan)

Golson has made a few more plays with his legs. Tommy made a few more plays with his mind.

Tommy had Floyd to throw to. Golson probably has more overall offensive talent, but not the elite WR.

Again, pretty much a draw. Both are 4-0, you can argue Golson might not be without Rees, but Rees wouldn't have been without USC dropping game winning pass. Neither can really be proved, but both are *.

To me, the first four starts have been pretty equal. Both have had spots they were better, both have had spots they were worse.

Golson has better physical tools. The hope has to be that he can build from this point and become a better QB. The jury is still out. Tommy got a little better as well, but his stats last year are pretty similar to his first four starts, just over a full season. Golson needs to get much better than that for this team to get where it wants to go.

Tommy was also allowed to play out of any funk he was in. He had 4 turnovers in the USC game and everyone of them was a potential backbreaker. They lead to all 16 USC points.

I think Kelly might have broken Golson's confidence.

Tommy was also allowed to play out of any funk he was in. He had 4 turnovers in the USC game and everyone of them was a potential backbreaker. They lead to all 16 USC points.

I think Kelly might have broken Golson's confidence.

On one hand, I can see him looking over his shoulder after every mistake and playing tentative because of it.

On the other hand, he's been pulled twice and is still the starter, so that should inspire some confidence. Certainly an odd situation.

Here's the deal. Rees is a known commodity. He can beat Navy, BC, Wake. He cannot beat Florida State, Stanford, Oklahoma.

Golson has tremendous upside and is young. On a good day, he CAN beat the FSU's and USC's.

In the meantime, Kelly is trying to bring him along. It is as simple as that. Start tommy all year and we go 9-3. Start Golson and we may end up better than that (if he can progress fast enough and in time).

I got no problems with what is going on. I am sure Kelly has conveyed his thinking to the two individuals and the entire team.

Bless Tommy's heart, he gets its all, he just doesn't have the physical abilities to do it all.

This isn't a typical two headed monster scenario.

On one hand, I can see him looking over his shoulder after every mistake and playing tentative because of it.

On the other hand, he's been pulled twice and is still the starter, so that should inspire some confidence. Certainly an odd situation.

My thought during the game was he now broke any risk or confidence from EG. With a young QB, you have to groom them, not threaten or bench them. EG has to be thinking, "oh boy, if I throw an INT, I am getting benched." He won't take any chances and instead of reading the defense for the open man, he will bereading it to where his safest spot to throw it is. IMO, until I see differently, BK just cut the legs out of underneath EG.

I think Ev seems like a pretty well grounded kid. ND is in a fortunate position right now that they can let him make some mistakes and bring in someone with a level head to clean up if necessary. BK did not have the luxury of letting Ev get into a groove and I am ok with his call. I think Ev is good with it too. I am sure he would rather take a seat than cause his team to lose.

I like the fact that when EG gets into trouble we have Tommy to help out. I didnt like the call against Purdue, but I see it works and I like the way Tommy is playing. He is playing conservative ball and not hanging it out there. He is definitely more mature. With that said, I am glad that EG is the starter week in and week out, this is what you are supposed to do with a new QB. Get them as many reps as you can when it is convenient, because you won't always have a safety net.

If Tommy and EG are ok with it, I am glad it is working.

Again, not a fan of the strategy, but Kelly only yanked Golson after his second INT.

Golson's first INT was a bad throw, but a typical growing-pain type of INT. His second was inexcusable; lazy, careless, a turnover that would get any quarterback, at any level benched because it's a throw that should never, ever be made--and that's why Kelly brought out the hook . . .

Again, not a fan of the strategy, but Kelly only yanked Golson after his second INT.

Golson's first INT was a bad throw, but a typical growing-pain type of INT. His second was inexcusable; lazy, careless, a turnover that would get any quarterback, at any level benched because it's a throw that should never, ever be made--and that's why Kelly brought out the hook . . .

100% concur

My thought during the game was he now broke any risk or confidence from EG. With a young QB, you have to groom them, not threaten or bench them. EG has to be thinking, "oh boy, if I throw an INT, I am getting benched." He won't take any chances and instead of reading the defense for the open man, he will bereading it to where his safest spot to throw it is. IMO, until I see differently, BK just cut the legs out of underneath EG.

Kelly's job is to win football games, not to worry about EG's feelings. He made the move that gave them the best chance to win the game, and they ultimately did win the game. Not sure what their is to complain about..

Isn't it better to be us than Mich? I mean Brady Hoke had no back up?! If they yanked Denard maybe they could've won. That fumble was an absolute killer.

I thought Devin Gardner was a servicable backup. Didn't he get the nod a couple of times last year? I think Hoke kept Denard in because of what Denard has done in the past. If Rees misses Eifert at the end of the game and Michigan gets the ball back with a minute left, I don't know what happens.

Mad love to our secondary though. Those guys are young but very skilled. Just watching the highlights just now they are always turning for the ball and making plays. The halfback pass interception in the first quarter was a heads up play to turn and close on the ball. If he doesn't turn his head that is a touchdown, well, probably. It was low for the receiver and could have been a drop.

Russell got himself in perfect position for the pick at the end of the first half arm punt. Zeke didn't get the ball but he was a big part of Manti's second pick. Bennet Jackson was a beast. These kids are turning their head and making plays.

I like the way he is using the two QBs this year, it reminds me of Remember the Titans. Some times when a young QB makes a mistake the seasoned veteran has to get in and show him how to get it done. As long as Ev is taking it as a learning experience, he is going to be fine. Better than fine, great.

Funny thing is Phony, right after Golson threw that interception, I said to myself, yank his ass. That's inexcusable.