Some Positive Player Developments

I have such mixed emotions about the game. I am not able to defend my man Golson this morning, but I will say, this is one game. Look at the body of work. He has two weeks to get ready for Miami. I am very confident that this will be the worse game of his career. Keep the Faith Golson people.

The reason we won this game is because so many people are playing extremely well. We continue to get deeper and better in a lot of areas. Here are some people that have arrived, are dependable and make me thrilled about our future.

1. Danny Spond~~He simply makes us a better football team. He is so tough on the edge of our defense whether it is pass defense or run support. So happy we have him another year and our younger players can learn from him.

2. Sheldon Day~~True depth on the D line. He brings something the others don't have. He has some wheels. Maybe not Aaron Lynch, but he makes plays. Looks more like Warren Sapp every day.

3. Nick Baratti~~This was my choice (and Hawaii's) for the next man in when Slaughter went down. Got his first pick and looks like a very good athlete. Good size, speed and smarts. These Texas kids are producing.

4. Tommy Rees~~Gosh, I threw him under the bus. I'm sorry Tommy. I gave him the nickname of Turnover Tommy. I retract it officially and will never give a negative nickname to a Notre Dame player. 8 of 11 was pretty good on a night when nobody else could do anything. The pass to Eifert was beautiful. So happy Tommy has another year. I still want Golson to be the starter.

5. K. Russell~~Sooner fans are telling me how they will torch our secondary. It seems like every week we get better and deeper. No injuries this week. Put some pressure on Landry and these guys will pick you.

6. Bennet Jackson~~He looked so smooth on that interception and the spin move. We have Bennet another year.

7. DaVaris Daniels~~He is a playmaker. Going to be a star, and to think we have him for 3 more years (I hope).

8. TJ Jones~~He is playing great. Every game this year. We have him one more year. Has really stepped up his game. Makes the difficult catch.

So many areas are improving. We have two weeks to work with Golson and that offensive line. I believe Riddick outgained Wood and came through at the end. (Looks like I will win my bet with Hawaii).

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our secondary is not equal to our front 7, but they are not a weakness... that is for sure.

Glad to see Spond fill the DOG role well, I was thinking he wouldnt be productive this year because of the accident he had. I was counting on Councell to step in, but now we have two solid DOG prospects at a position that was our weakness last year.

Love Sheldon Day, he is going to be a great player for us!

Our secondary is not equal to our front 7, but they are not a weakness... that is for sure.

The secondary could be a beast in a year or two. To be fair we are playing them deep so as to not give up a big play. As a results we're getting picked apart on short plays and teams are keeping their drives alive.

I think Zeke Motta is playing better than I expected. He's finding himself around the ball a lot and is really laying the lumber on some guys.

The reason I didn't mention Zeke is because he will be gone next year. I'm always thinking in terms of building for the future. With that said, Zeke really caught my eye. He's so physical. Came across the field to break up that deep ball and nearly picked it. Thank goodness we have him now and hope he stays healthy. No more hits to the secondary.

The secondary could be a beast in a year or two. To be fair we are playing them deep so as to not give up a big play. As a results we're getting picked apart on short plays and teams are keeping their drives alive.

I dont even see that... its just that a few plays stood out to you and you think we are being picked apart. Denard only completed 13 passes all game... That is hardly being picked apart. You know... even Alabama gives up 13 passes a game...

i do agree that in a couple years, the secondary will be a strength of this team... :)

I dont even see that... its just that a few plays stood out to you and you think we are being picked apart. Denard only completed 13 passes all game... That is hardly being picked apart. You know... even Alabama gives up 13 passes a game...

i do agree that in a couple years, the secondary will be a strength of this team... :)

I totally agree here. With a guy like Denard you must lose some battles to win the war. Robinson made a few nice throws on the slants and skinny posts against the zone, but keeping guys in their areas prevented the big runs to the outside, other than Gardners (sp?) one big play. I'll take that all day.

Even though Michigan put up 150 on the ground, it was clear that they couldn't run effectively on our front seven.

I have a feeling NOBODY is going to beat us on the ground this year. My fingers are crossed for our young DB's because if they continue to build their confidence, look out. This year could be very, very special.

I am thrilled with the play of our defensive backs. The fact that we aren't really talking about them as our primary concern is awesome. We aren't seeing people run free in the secondary like Eifert did in the Michigan secondary. Too bad we didn't throw the ball to him. Guy's we're just waiting on Golson. Everything is developing nicely except Golson. Two weeks to get ready for Miami. It's gonna happen. Thank heavens for Tommy, all that playing time didn't go to waste.

I am thrilled with the play of our defensive backs. The fact that we aren't really talking about them as our primary concern is awesome. We aren't seeing people run free in the secondary like Eifert did in the Michigan secondary. Too bad we didn't throw the ball to him. Guy's we're just waiting on Golson. Everything is developing nicely except Golson. Two weeks to get ready for Miami. It's gonna happen. Thank heavens for Tommy, all that playing time didn't go to waste.

agreed having the Combo of Golson and then Rees if needed is truly a blessing. It allowed Kelly not to panic and yell at Golson who he has said had 4 papers and an exam this week. He just sat him and went to Tommy. I think Tommy will enhance Everret's development 100 pecent. Mostly by allowing Kelly to be a better teacher and Tommy to be an on site mentor.

I think Zeke Motta is playing better than I expected. He's finding himself around the ball a lot and is really laying the lumber on some guys.
Zeke gets blamed for not having good speed but he does, his weakness is that he has a poor burst so that hurts his recovery because it takes him a few steps to really get going. Because of this there will be times that it will cost him and that's why I expect him to get better every week as his IQ and anticipation gets better.

Seriously, can someone explain the love fest for Golson to me?

I just don't see it. I get his a great kid and that he's charming and whatnot but in the games so far he's shown nothing.

I know, I know it's only 4 games but I'm not seeing it even at that. I'm not seeing anything, you expect mistakes and plenty of growing pains but you also usually see some positives and I for one haven't.

There is no doubt that Golson is a better physical talent. He's got the tools but to me it seems he doesn't know how to use them. Sure he's got a great arm but like Dayne Crist he can't see plays until they visually open and by then it's to late. Just go back and look at his completions they are just thrown up there and it's a receiver pulling it down. He's not hitting guys in stride because like I said he has shown that he has to see them in the window open rather throwing it with the right touch to the window and the WR/TE to catch it as they get open. Then there is the fact that he stares down the receivers at an incredible rate.

Rees on the other hand doesn't stare down his receivers and can throw the ball on time but his shortcoming is that he just don't have the physical talent to make a lot of throws and the limits his game as does the fact that he's barely mobile. Because of his shortcoming he forced to many balls which led to way to many turnovers but that said his offense's moved up and down the field and could score a ton as he didn't need to just squeak by Purdue or MSU.

Golson can't move the ball and because none of these teams respect him throwing the ball, because he has yet to show that he can do anything with his god given ability and as a result they load up the box hence why ND hasn't run the ball all that good.

Yet the Rees, the one with a poor arm who limits the Irish offense because of his own limitations and some bonehead plays which lead to 2 INT's still easily moves the Irish offense up and down on Michigan. He did his part to win the game even with his INT's because even with his lack of talent was able to move the ball in the air for 300+ yards and 3 TD's and because he could actually pass the ball it allowed the running game and Wood had a 100+ yard rushing game and Gray with limited touches I believe had a double digit YPC average.

Rees did his part to win that game, giving ND a 24-7 lead going into the forth and that's when the wheels came off for the defense and ND gave up 3 TD's unanswered before Rees got another TD give them a lead but yet again the defense blew it in the final seconds.

My point is that Rees didn't have the luxury of this defense when he was the starter and with this vastly weaker physical skills he's produced much more than anything Golson has even shown, so as I asked why so much love for Golson? Rees last season with this defense they are undefeated going into the USC game. At that game he was still able to pass the ball around quite good before he got injured and while his mistake was costly and helped USC to get a 17-0, ND fought back to make it 17-10. That next drive Rees gets hurt and Crist loses the ball which in turn would have tied the game up at 17-17 and instead USC returns it for a TD, a 14 point swing. The point is even that game ND was hanging in there without this defense that Golson is lucky to have and maybe could have been the difference for him.

All I know that if Rees had Golson's defense there is no way ND loses to South Florida, Michigan or FSU last season and the USC and Stanford games would be a lot closer with a chance to win.

I know this probably doesn't make much sense with a lot of spelling and grammar error as I'm half a sleep and writing this out of frustration because as happy as I am to see my Irish 4-0, that I don't see the reason for the love of QB who's been awful and has made the best TE in the nation disappear because even with his great big arm can't pass with consistency or timing.

Sorry for the ramblings and most likely incoherent writing.