This offense is too complicated

That is my thought. Yes, I know Golson is in his fourth game, but he looks lost. There is too much being thrown at him. Heck, Rees is in his 18th game or something and he still comes to the sideline confused at times.

There are too many moving parts. Kelly is trying to be three different teams. He wants the spread, he was a power running/play action game, he wants a hurry up.

It just seems to me that there isn't an identity on offense that the team can fall back on. Vs. Navy you go conservative rush attack, vs. MSU you go vertical passing attack, Vs. Michigan, you spread out double TE's and try to run.

I just don't see any continuity on offense and I think guys are being asked to do too much. This is college, you only get so much time with these kids. Most kids don't have 4 years left at QB when they become starter, they have 1 or 2. If they can't pick up the offense quickly, you waste half their time at QB.

Will young QB's make mistakes, of course, but I think the issue with Golson is there is just too much going on. Sure, the game will slow down, but you can't start every season with a new QB not able to generate any offense.

Surely a few more playmakers would help, but guys like GAIII, Neal, Wood, Toma can make plays when they get the ball in space. Did you see any of that last night?

Look at Oregon, Mariotta is a redshirt freshman as well, starting his fourth game and they don't seem to skip a beat. Why is our offense so difficult that after 3 years everyone still seems lost?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

BK has exercised several demons this year. I just hope he's not throwing the baby out with the bathwater by having such a short leash for Golson. We're through a very tough part of the schedule, mostly unscathed. To your point, I hope they settle down over the next two weeks and start establishing that identity. We don't need a power run game against Miami, but I fear we might against Stanford. Fortunately Stanford is another "power run team" that we match up with well on D.

That is my thought. Yes, I know Golson is in his fourth game, but he looks lost. There is too much being thrown at him. Heck, Rees is in his 18th game or something and he still comes to the sideline confused at times.

There are too many moving parts. Kelly is trying to be three different teams. He wants the spread, he was a power running/play action game, he wants a hurry up.

It just seems to me that there isn't an identity on offense that the team can fall back on. Vs. Navy you go conservative rush attack, vs. MSU you go vertical passing attack, Vs. Michigan, you spread out double TE's and try to run.

I just don't see any continuity on offense and I think guys are being asked to do too much. This is college, you only get so much time with these kids. Most kids don't have 4 years left at QB when they become starter, they have 1 or 2. If they can't pick up the offense quickly, you waste half their time at QB.

Will young QB's make mistakes, of course, but I think the issue with Golson is there is just too much going on. Sure, the game will slow down, but you can't start every season with a new QB not able to generate any offense.

Surely a few more playmakers would help, but guys like GAIII, Neal, Wood, Toma can make plays when they get the ball in space. Did you see any of that last night?

Look at Oregon, Mariotta is a redshirt freshman as well, starting his fourth game and they don't seem to skip a beat. Why is our offense so difficult that after 3 years everyone still seems lost?

Where was the deep ball? Why does GA3 only get 4 touches? Where was the option? Where is an effing screen pass? Bubble screen? The play calling was awful, no imagination at all.

Where was the deep ball? Why does GA3 only get 4 touches? Where was the option? Where is an effing screen pass? Bubble screen? The play calling was awful, no imagination at all.

Right, maybe it is as much playcalling as playbook, buy it seems like there is a different playbook for every game.

Who the F cares if you are only at 25% of the playbook. How about you find 10% that works and get really good at that? Oregon runs like 5 plays. Alabama has run right, run left, playaction pass.

Like you said, ND had a speed advantage on the edges and you never tried to take advantage of that until the last drive with the swing passes to Riddick, and lo and behold, he picks up 6-10 at a crack.

Koyak and the right side of line are just not getting it done. Everett is also not throwing to some wide open guys. One a third down that stood out to me, there was an all out blitz and Eifert was by himself in the middle, Everette threw into double coverage and drive ended. Eifert would have picked up 20 at least. The blocking is holding this offense back and Everette is pressing becuase of that. Tommy can come in and check down to multiple receivers much better than Everette AT THIS POINT. It will come, hopefully, at least if he doesn't lose his confidence. Hard to blame Kelly, he is here to win games.

Koyak and the right side of line are just not getting it done. Everett is also not throwing to some wide open guys. One a third down that stood out to me, there was an all out blitz and Eifert was by himself in the middle, Everette threw into double coverage and drive ended. Eifert would have picked up 20 at least. The blocking is holding this offense back and Everette is pressing becuase of that. Tommy can come in and check down to multiple receivers much better than Everette AT THIS POINT. It will come, hopefully, at least if he doesn't lose his confidence. Hard to blame Kelly, he is here to win games.

That was Tommy that missed Eifert.

Once again, Tommy does just enough to win. He wasn't overly impressive either, but at some point, Kelly is boxing his QB's in a bad spot they can't get out of.

You guys know theywon and are 4-0 right? Man at least enjoy the season they are having now.

What does this have anything to do with enjoying the season? I had a blast last night watching that defense play like they did.

I'm merely suggesting that perhaps the offense is too complicated. How is making an observation bad? I didn't bash any players. I didn't suggest anyone wasn't trying hard.

I simply wondered if an offense, that has mostly sputtered vs. good teams for 3 years with 3 different QB's is too complicated.

I think that is ok to do.

You know what would make this season even more enjoyable? A functioning offense to go along with our championship defense. It's ok to critique on a message board, I promise, especially when you don't insult anyone.

Edited by corysold

Ha ha ha...what in Gods name is complicated about this offense? Are you watching a different team than I am? All it amounts to is Golson is young and going to have games like he did last night...luckily we have a very capable backup to get him through these games without having the Jimmy vs BC game as a soph.

As far as imagination...Michigan was plenty imaginative and look where it got them. It all comes down to this...they are loading the box with 8 guys all thetime and until Golson proves that he can consistently burn teams forit, we will continue to grind it out.

Also,I know it really chaps your ass that Tommy has came in and been a solid teammate and a solid QB...since you have spent the last two years bashing him.

I agrre 100% with this post, i have been talking about this for 3 years, why do they make the offense so complicated.

get the ball to your play makers and let them do the work....

we finally have burners and Matin and Kelly are holding them back.....

I dont care how good our defense is, and i might be the only one to think this but from a coaches not a fans view i saw alot of mistakes last night on the defensive side of the ball....thank God DROB was playing catch with us or this would have been a real bad game for us.... Watch the game closely and you'll see what i mean...

Kelly and Martin have to get there heads out of there arse or there gonna kill this season,let the offense loose,were not driving a stationwagon anymore we have a Ferrari,if you can't handle the V12 get somebody else to do it...stop holding the offense back,let them fly

Ha ha ha...what in Gods name is complicated about this offense? Are you watching a different team than I am? All it amounts to is Golson is young and going to have games like he did last night...luckily we have a very capable backup to get him through these games without having the Jimmy vs BC game as a soph.

As far as imagination...Michigan was plenty imaginative and look where it got them. It all comes down to this...they are loading the box with 8 guys all thetime and until Golson proves that he can consistently burn teams forit, we will continue to grind it out.

Also,I know it really chaps your ass that Tommy has came in and been a solid teammate and a solid QB...since you have spent the last two years bashing him.

WTF are you talking about? Your home-erotic man crush on me regarding Tommy is a little old. Where did I mention Tommy at all, other than even he still looks confused at times after 18 games. That was in reference to the offense, not him.

You're totally missing my point. Even after 18 games, even Tommy doesn't look smooth running the offense. Everett looked lost, and even when Tommy came in, there is still no flow to the offense. They are trying to do too much, and as a consequence, they can't do anything.

And enough with the loading the box garbage. Where is Eifert then? He made a living catching the 7 yard option route last year. Have you seen one of those all year? That is how you beat 8 in the box. But then everyone says Eifert is doubled. Guess what, you can't play 8 in the box and double a TE, can't be done.

It isn't as though WR's are just running free that the QB's are missing. I can count on one hand last night the number of WR's I saw running open.

Edited by corysold

I agrre 100% with this post, i have been talking about this for 3 years, why do they make the offense so complicated.

get the ball to your play makers and let them do the work....

we finally have burners and Matin and Kelly are holding them back.....

I dont care how good our defense is, and i might be the only one to think this but from a coaches not a fans view i saw alot of mistakes last night on the defensive side of the ball....thank God DROB was playing catch with us or this would have been a real bad game for us.... Watch the game closely and you'll see what i mean...

Kelly and Martin have to get there heads out of there arse or there gonna kill this season,let the offense loose,were not driving a stationwagon anymore we have a Ferrari,if you can't handle the V12 get somebody else to do it...stop holding the offense back,let them fly

Whats so complicated? I didnt notice Rees being confused at all, except ince but that wasnt the play call...it was the defense.