Ian Williams

dangeruss

Williams hopes to make ND visit

By Steve Hare, IrishIllustrated.com Recruiting Analyst

Last month, Ian Williams said he thought Notre Dame was close to extending a scholarship offer. The 6-foot-2, 294-pounder didn't have to wait long for that offer to come.

"That came almost a month ago now," he said. "I talked to coach (Rob) Ianello and he said they finally got my papers and transcripts and that they want to offer me. He was looking for coach (Charlie) Weis around the office and they finally found him and I talked to him. He said he really wanted me and wanted me to get up to the campus so I could see everything. I got the offer letter in the mail two or three days later."

With nearly 30 offers to his credit, Williams has grown accustomed to the excitement of receiving new offers, but that didn't stop him from feeling good about the Irish offer.

"It feels great to know how far I've come because Notre Dame is a really storied program and it meant a lot to get an offer from them," he said. "I'm really going to take a look at them and get up to the campus this fall for an official visit."

Despite feeling good about receiving an offer from Notre Dame, Williams still has one team ahead of the rest.

"Definitely I have Florida in the top spot right now," he said. "I'm going to cut my list down to 10 by the time that school starts. I haven't really cut it down yet, I just have Florida at the top and then all of the other schools."

With school set to begin on July 31, Williams has his work cut out for him to narrow that list from 30-something down to 10. He's hoping to find a school that will provide him with a quality education and where he feels comfortable with the coaches and the players. One thing Williams isn't concerned about is how stocked a prospective school might be at his position.

"Most of the schools I'm looking at have reasonable depth charts," he said. "If it's in the books for me to start my freshman year it's great, but I don't mind coming in to a school that has a junior or senior at defensive tackle. I know I can learn a lot from those guys that have been around the program. I don't mind being a two-year starter or three-year starter; I just want to play and play good. I don't want to go out my freshman year and get beat on and have a bad career just because of my freshman year."

ARTICLE-CLICK HERE

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully this kid will be Irish, he has the size that we desperately need on our DL. We have a depth chart that he loves, and if he goes to Florida good luck beating out McCray. If Florida got both of those guys I would be very upset.

Guest SunshineState

I think he has a chance of going to ND but that chance only is there if Florida fills up at DT and doesn't want Williams. That is why I think Williams will commit to Florida sooner rather than later. Florida's DT class will probably include D'Angelo McCray, Torrey Davis and Ian Williams with a fairly good shot at John Brown.

Guest SunshineState

McCray may de-commit from Florida but I don't know if it will be for USC. I always thought ND had a shot at McCray but I guess that isn't going to happen.

Now that CW is back from vacation, i'm pretty sure he'll show McCray some of that ND love. i wouldnt be surprised to hear that McCray has changed his mind about visiting in the near future. And when he gets on campus, he'll probably get the royal treatment with all coaches being there, same as GG

Guest SunshineState

Either ND isn't that interested or they think he won't change his mind because it doesn't sound like they have been on him too hard. A guy like McCray who has so many options won't stick around and beg for a ND offer so I doubt either he or ND go back down that route. ND will probably get a good DT or two in this class. It may have to be a sleeper though.

I hate the fact that we are having such a difficult time getting into the lead for on of these top DTs. I especially hate how Florida is able to get so many of those guys interested...not everyone can play! I am also annoyed by the fact that although we seem to have a solid class in the making that schools like USC are still getting a bunch of top guys, and have 3 guys in ESPNs top 10.

Guest SunshineState

Blackwell would shock plenty of people if he actually left LA. LA prospects always seem to do this and that is why I would never trust any of them. He is from a school that has strong, strong ties to LSU.

I think Austin will go to a big city place and I think Miami would be a great fit for them. Randy Shannon is a great defensive coach and he puts tons of first round players.

Like I said about McCray, I don't see ND or D'Angelo going down that road again. McCray is a guy with tons of options so I don't think ND can slow-play him and expect to end up on campus.

I keep hearing Barksdale will go to Texas but I still would put my money on Ohio State.

Williams is a Gator unless the Gators pass on him. He may have to commit earlier than he wants though because if he waits his spot may be filled up.

I thought ND had a shot at Torrey Davis but it doesn't look that way as of now.

I hate the fact that we are having such a difficult time getting into the lead for on of these top DTs.

Fan, remember how we said the same thing 1 week ago about cornerbacks. things change very quickly in the world of recruiting.

DT will take care of itself. A little short term history here. In 2006 we landed the #1 offensive line class. 6 of them. At this time last year, the amount of OL verbals was ZERO. Patience.

Guest SunshineState

Recruiting is crazy so you never know. Just that right now I think the top guys are looking somewhere else.

I am also surprised at UF getting all of these stud DL prospects. They also have a few stud DE's like Jerry Howard and Sidell Corley. That is strange because last year they signed one of the best DL classes in the country.

The one wild card that we hold is the 2006 football season. If we come out and play like we can and are ranked at or near the top we will have top recruits come out of the woodworks and suddenly start showing strong interest in Notre Dame.

You're right Broker. Gray came out of no where and completely boosted our CB situation so the same can just as easily happen at DT. It's great that the rest of our defensive recruiting is coming along very well at this point...hopefully it won't be too much longer before we get news like this at DT.