Whats wrong with the defense?

dangeruss

CW is an offensive guru but what is even more obvious is how much success the offense had compared to the defense. ND is landing all these offensive studs, so why isn't the defense injoying the same type of success? NDs defense does have a lot of good players, just look back in past recruiting years landri (5-star), laws (4-star), abiamiri (5-star), vernaglia (4-star), zibby (4-star) and wooden (4-star). isn't rick minter a good defensive coach? so why wasn't he able to transform the defense to match what CW did on offense. so it brings me to my question. why can't ND bring in top defensive talent the way CW does on offense? is rick minter just not getting the job done? or does ND just not have good enough players on D?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest NDLawJAG

The difference is that the defense returned two starters last year. The defense was made up of alot of young players that were still trying to adapt to college football while learning a new scheme as a first year starter. They will be much better this year.

Also, the defense was better than they get credit for or than the stats demonstrate. They won the Michigan game almost single handedly. They had some key turnovers that allowed ND to jump all over some teams.

Further, some of the stats are a little deceptive. They gave up alot of yards late in games that were already won. They also had the unfortune of going against some of the top passing teams out there. The only two games that I would say our defense completely let us down in were MSU and OSU.

I would agree completely with everything that NDLaw said, but I would also like to reitterate the fact that ND is pretty young on defense. Plus, some of the talent wasn't developed very well on Ty's infamous regime. Therefore, Minter had to dumb down the system a little bit, which led to some of the results that you seen on the field.

Plus, some of the talent wasn't developed very well on Ty's infamous regime. Therefore, Minter had to dumb down the system a little bit, which led to some of the results that you seen on the field.

well the offensive players weren't developed under TW either and look what they did. also the offensive players were able to handle CW playbook for the most part so why couldn't the defense do the same.

Exactly...it was a combination of underdeveloped and inexperienced DBs, a lack of team speed, and ideal size and speed on the D line. On offense we had a QB with a ton of game experience, an RB who had 1 season under his belt, a veteran corp of receivers and a veteran O line....and yes the best offensive coach in the country calling plays. I don't think it is fair to criticize Minter in his first season. Generally it is difficult for a coaches first season especially with young guys on D, it's just that CW raised the bar so high, any imporvements by Minter were easy to go unoticed. Last year we brought in two top CBs, this we have good chances with some top LBs, we already have to good DEs (Neal will be a beast), and we are making a run at a couple corners and DTs. I believe eveything will work out just fine for us at DT when it is all said and done.

So you guys are confident the same Minter defense will be able to stop the same Ohio State offense in this year's Fiesta bowl?

probbly not. i think it's going to be a few more years untill we see a real good defense. ND is bringing in more speed on defense but it's going to take a few more recruiting class for that speed and talent to filter through the program.

To be 100% realistic it will probably be another 2 seasons until we can confidently shut down an offense like that. However, I am confident that if we play OSU in the Fiesta Bowl again that we will do a much better job of stopping them. 9-3 in season one...that is pretty amazing! After last years Fiesta Weis partially blamed himself for the loss because he felt that he allowed the big layoff in between their final regular season game and the bowl game to effect the team and make them become complacent. If we are in that situation again look for a much better prepared team to take the field...if any one can prepare a team for a big game it is CW. Also during that game our offense was also less than stellar...that will not be the case next season.

Guest TDJesus3

i belive u will see a dramatic improvment, they wont be the best D in the country but they will no longer be horrible, i think they will be in the upper 1/4 of defenses. Teams always do better the second year in a defensive scheme, that is a huge thing you see in the NFL and it plays true in college

Guest VagasFerguson44

I think the two biggest problems with our defense are that we give up to many yards and we give up too many points. If we can fix both of these problems we should be in pretty good shape.

On a more serious note, as Broke said, it is all about pass rush, pass rush, pass rush! And I don't mean through blitzes and gimmicks which will only put further pressure on our DBs. I'm not so sure we can put enough pressure on the opponent from the front four in order to see a major difference in our pass rush.

I think we are just going to have to hope for the best with a faster LB corp and more polished secondary. Hold on guys I think there are a few more games like the MSU game coming up this year. The only difference being that we win them this year. The USC game will be a track meet. They will have 2-3 losses by the time we play them but they will be hitting their stride with the new guys by late November. I see a 38-34 or even a 45-38 win for the Irish in my crystal ball. With Munir Prince taking a flair pass (or screen) into the flat for a 78 yard winning score. (Yes, Munir will be seeing significant playing time by the end of the year.)

Guest JerseyDomer

One thing our D has in it's favor is that they don't have to play our Offense in a game.

but we do get to practice against them, which should help.

Guest VagasFerguson44

I would expect our offense to be more run oriented and ball control focused than last year. The quicker we score (especially if it is on a consistent basis) the more exposed our defense will be. This is one of the things that I think will keep TT from moving to LB.

i dont think we can really say if it'll be pass or run oriented. It all depends on who we're playing. The way Weis prepares for teams each week is different, he takes advantage of the mismatches. Whether it be running or passing, he finds the weak spots in the D and exploits them.