Travis Thomas to LB???

irishdread

After listening to the Power Hour, I recall a couple guys asking questions about TT moving over to linebacker ???? Is there any truth to this, and if so, does this mean Weis is content with DW, JA, and MP ???Or are they really that skeptical about the guys on roster at the LB position ??

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya I think Smith will find himself starting no later than half way through the season. But I'm not so sure they throw him out against GTech, PSU, and Michigan, unless he is really that much better than the others. Has anyone heard anything about the guys from last class since they reported to SB?

Guest TDJesus3

i know it was discussed but i dont believe it will happen...TT is going to get alot of carries at rb this year and i really think the staff will settle on brockington and crum with smith in the middle...its possible vergnalia moves in and crum goes to the middle but i think smith is going to impress come practice time...TT stays at rb

if this is true why was he playing RB during the spring, why not make the move then and get him game playing experience. im not sure CW would move his 2nd string RB over to LB unless the LB position stunk that bad and only if he could replace TT at RB. i know JA was a 5-star recruite but is he really ready to take over all the reps TT would get.

It does make zero sense Broke, but somehow the subject keeps popping up everywhere, check this out :

Will it be linebacker or running back for Washington, Pa. native Travis Thomas? As mentioned before, we believe Thomas will get a look at linebacker in 2006, but regardless of position, we expect Thomas to have a significant impact on the Irish in 2006. He’s already been named special teams captain by his teammates so we expect him to contribute heavily. Will he be a starter? The only place likely is at linebacker, and probably why head coach Charlie Weis approached Thomas about the possibility. What is that saying again? “Find a way to get your best players on the field.” Yeah, that was it.

CW alsways said that he plays the running back position with a linebacker mentality, now we're gonna see if that translates into a LB with a LB mentality, lol.

Guest jiggafini19

Guys, maybe this will help set the record straight on this situation.

Jason Sapp over at BGI posted on the Rockne Roundtable that T2 is staying on offense. The rumor is just that and nothing more.

Information that gives credence to this: The staff is considering playing a 4-2-5 and 4-1-6 as a base defense for the majority of the September schedule.

This could be because of the September opponents and their affection for the pass, the lack of solid linebackers after Mo Crum and that Lambert, Herring and Bruton have all done pleasantly well this off season.

Anyway, just thought I'd share what to this point has been the most credible and viable piece of information to this point in regards to this issue. And the source is as credible and viable as the information given as well. J Sapp is the man.

Sapp broke the Gary Gray news on Friday first.

Charlie Weis + Yellow Jackets = The Orkin Man

Guest CW4Life

I had a feeling they were going to shake things up a bit but I never expected that. I just assumed they would try to put faster guys in at the LB position.

that 5th defensive back is probably going to be someone who could also step up and play in the box. Probably Vernaglia playing with Crum, Wooden, Zibby, Duke, Richardson, and maybe Herring. Bruton would be the 6th in the 4-1-6 with Crum in the middle alone. Damn, thats a fast defense. And actually, I could see Zibby possibly stepping into the box at times, to blitz from a LB spot.

Guest CW4Life

Yeah that would be alot of speed. It should make recognizing the blitz a little harder for other teams to pick up on as it can be coming from anywhere.

Not just that, but no one would probably expect ND to come out on defense in that formation. It would cause alot of confusion if teams are scouting video from last year, and next thing you kno, you have 5 db's and 2 lb's blitzing and coming at you from every angle. its gonna be interesting to see

4-2-5... 4-1-6... how would that generate a pass rush, or stop a run?

what slows the crossing plays over the middle?

I think you'd need excellent communication and offensive scheme recognition to bring in the DBs to help over the middle.

Is that how that scheme would work?

I'm a football novice when it comes to defensive schemes, so please bear with me. unless you're always on threat of blitz.

THanks!

Thats the thing with those defensive schemes. You never kno where the blitz is going to come from, a lb or a db. Our front four are very effective against the run, with Crum in the middle with maybe Vernaglia, our run defense should be pretty stout again. now if u take an aggressive and instinctive guy like Zibby and move him into the box next to them, its still a 4-3 defense, but you're alot faster.