Willie Williams LB

NDFan3

I saw on ESPN that a Miami LB was released from his scholarsip and was looking for a new place to play. When I read it I was interested to see how good this kid was...after all there are some big questions at LB this season. I found this article on ESPN.com and had to laugh. I should have known that the standards of Miami aren't quite on par with ND...actually not even on the same planet.

CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Willie Williams has asked Miami to release him from his scholarship, and is beginning the process of finding a new school.

The linebacker -- who was allowed to enroll at Miami two years ago despite having 11 entries on his arrest record -- was touted as one of the nation's best defensive players coming out of high school, but never became a starter with the Hurricanes.

"Whatever is best for Willie, I will be in favor of," Miami coach Larry Coker said in a statement released by the school.

Williams has not yet enrolled at any other school, and it's still possible that he could return to the Hurricanes if he changes his mind. Practice for the 2006 season begins next month.

Williams signed with Miami on Feb. 4, 2004, the day his arrest record became known publicly. He spent a few days in jail for violating probation, then had his admission to Miami scrutinized, delayed -- and eventually allowed, provided he adhered to strict academic and off-field ground rules.

He was redshirted for the 2004 season because of a knee injury, then appeared mostly as a backup and special-teams standout in 2005.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SirJohn
:roll: ??? I don't think we would want him. The kid obviously does not fit, is most certainly afraid of the world and does not want to work so looking for a free college ride another couple years. A dog chasing his tail going no where.

Ya it's obvious this could has no chance in SB, I don't even think FSU would take him with the rap sheet he has. ND doesn't allow Fball tranfers?...I was unaware of that. That is kind of a stupid policy.

I think it's smart, it means guys are in the system longer and are student athletes, not some guy that comes in for a year or two from some small school to play football. ND guys go through the system, or they transfer somewhere else....its a one-way revolving door.

I think it's smart, it means guys are in the system longer and are student athletes, not some guy that comes in for a year or two from some small school to play football. ND guys go through the system, or they transfer somewhere else....its a one-way revolving door.

If some kid spends a year at lets say USC and realizes that he hates it out there and decides that he would love to come to ND, what would be the problem with allowing him to transfer as long his grades were in order, etc.? Of course the coaches would give consideration as to whether or not they would need to bring a player in, but if they were going to recruit someone at that position, and it wouldn't be screwing anyone over that already is on the team I see no harm in it. Imagine how dumb USC would've been if they didn't allow Lofa Totupu to transfer.

Think of it this way, a kid coming in out of high school is like a clean sheet of paper...ND coaches can mold and coach the kid to fit their system. A kid comes in from, let's say SC as a JR, he has to learn a new system, unlearn his previous methods, forge relationships w/ his teammates and get adjusted to ND academic life....will this guy be focused enough on FB to merit the scholarship he's taking? Is it better to look at a kid as a jr in HS, know his academic background, offer him a schollie, get the commitment and have him train up until he hits campus in the summer? I'll take the latter, it's ND guys in ND's system from start to finish.

Guest SirJohn

Sad, but some of these are beyond salvation. If it's just what is between your legs, shot into your veins, smoked or drunk bye. He can do it where he is and forget doing it in College or beyond.

Guest TeamUlovetohate

There are alot of Cane fans that are dissapointed in Willie Williams right now. The things our school went through to give him a chance, and this is the thanks we get?

Guest shark83
There are alot of Cane fans that are dissapointed in Willie Williams right now. The things our school went through to give him a chance, and this is the thanks we get?

I couldn't have said it any better teamulovetohate. The U went out of their way by letting him come to their school, and his actions alone show you what he thought of your school's kind gesture. It's ashame because this kid has a lot talent and I'm sure there isn't one team in the country that wouldnt want an LB w/ his football ability (rap sheet and ego aside) on their team.

On a side note, I actually have a future 'U' player as my sig pic. It is a pic of LeSean Mccoy. He was a 5 star on rivals before he broke his ankle early in his senior season. I went to high school with him and know him fairly well. There has been a lot of rumors surrounding him and whether or not he'll end up signing w/ the 'U', but I spoke to him 2 weeks ago and said he still stands firm on his commitment. Hopefully everything goes smooth for him at Milford Prep and he'll be in South Beach in January 2007.