Arrelious Benn Breakdown

dangeruss

In the film room: Arrelious Benn

Tim Prister

IrishIllustrated.com Senior Editor

If we said that Arrelious Benn is a great high school receiver and one of the top talents in the country, would anyone be surprised? Of course not. If you’ve seen tape of this 6-foot-2, 210-pound standout, you know that this young man from Dunbar High School in Washington D.C. is truly one of the unique talents in the country.

Benn is, as we like to describe athletes with such gifts, a stallion. He has size, strength, athletic ability and an aura about him that tells you he’s on the verge of making a big play every time the ball is snapped.

Who does he remind you of? In Notre Dame terms, I would say a more athletic Derrick Mayes. He has similar dimensions. But what separates Benn is an explosiveness that Mayes never had. Mayes had size, superior hands and great body control with the ball in the air. Mayes’ “ball skills” were as good as any player who has ever caught passes for the Irish.

Benn has amazing hip/leg strength and the explosiveness of a player much older. He is truly a man among boys on the high school level. (No wonder he wants to graduate in December and begin college in January.) He could skip his senior year of high school and enter the college ranks right now. He is a big, powerful, graceful athlete whose skills have out-grown the prep level.

The only thing that might make Benn a better prospect would be two or three more inches in height, but that also might take away from his 4.45 speed/extra gear. He doesn’t need the extra height. He has all the physical gifts he needs.

Another trait that Benn has, which tends to be underrated at times, is that he protects the football well. He maintains the standard “three points of pressure” on the football when he’s carrying it. A lot of big-time receivers/ball carriers will sling the ball around when they run. Benn doesn’t do that. He keeps the ball protected against his body. That’s a nice bonus.

Oh, and one other thing. If he wanted to be a strong safety or a linebacker, Benn would be tremendous at that as well. He is an explosive tackler, due again in great part to that tremendous hip/leg strength.

Of course, you know all that already. The question is: which school will he choose? Well, he recently took a look at USC and UCLA. He stated that playing time and the stability of the head coach (at that school) are factors, as is having a quality quarterback to throw to him. Certainly Notre Dame and USC fit those qualifications. He’s also looking at Florida State, Georgia, Illinois, Maryland and Oklahoma.

Notre Dame is right in the thick of this and has an excellent chance at landing this remarkable athlete. Stay tuned. He could make a decision/announcement as early as the first week of September. I believe when all is said and done, the Irish will win this battle. But look out for the Trojans.

ARTICLE-CLICK HERE

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TDJesus3

wow explosiveness and speed seems to be the theme of that article...i thought he was slow...haha this kid is going to be great to have on board

the guy looks like a LB with WR skills. for as big as he is he does have really good speed.

I agree danger. The guy is strong as an ox but has the speed and agility of a much smaller player.

I'm really getting exciting about watching Benn, Kamara and hopefully Little give D-coordinators migranes in a couple years. Woooooooo

he is slow. he has the speed of a d lineman, deonte thomson is way better, i will be right in 4 years watch!!

^

what are things said by vagas!!!

i always loved jeopardy!!!

Now that is comedy folks!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

Nice one 34

Guest VagasFerguson44

Hey IrishGuy, just for clarification I didn't say he was as slow as a D-lineman...but thanks for giving me extra credit. Whomever said that is a VERY smart man! :-)

Guest FightingIrishMan

if you think hes gonna be a TE yer way off. Hes way to short. Hes like 6-2 and a good TE height is at least 6-4/6-5. He'd be a SS or OLD before TE.

but a WR first of course :wink:

Danger, I completely agree with everything you said. Benn is a phenomenal combination of speed, hands, strength and route running. He is deserving of being the #1 WR on the board of the #1 offensive mind in college football.

if you think hes gonna be a TE yer way off. Hes way to short. Hes like 6-2 and a good TE height is at least 6-4/6-5. He'd be a SS or OLD before TE.

but a WR first of course :wink:

FIM, I agree that he will not be a TE. But the height thing is not the proper argument. The #1 TE in college football last year, Vernon Davis, was only 6'2" (6'3" at best). That being said, Benn will NOT be a TE. Vagas is just doing what he does, trying to rile people up.

Vagas, we asked you than and you couldn't come through so we will ask you again. Provide us with the tape you supposedly saw where he got ran down by a defensive lineman, let alone many of them. I know why you didn't provide it. It doesn't exist.