Interested post on the Illiniboard - it is aboue BENN!!!!!!!

el senor domer

This is not me saw this and thought you all would like to see it!!!!!

My brother was in the Atlanta airport and happened to be holding his Athlon Sports Big Ten magazine. Arrelious noticed my brother since he was wearing one of his many orange Illini shirts. Anyhow, Benn asked him if he lived in Illinois, and to make a long story short...my brother asked him who he was and he said his name. My brother exclaimed, "Oh, I know who you are, I read about you all of the time on the Illiniboard!" Benn said, "Yeah, I'm the best wide reciever in the country!"

Benn also was with a current Illini commit, Daryle Ballew. My brother then asked Benn if he was still being recruited by Florida State and Benn said that it was true. Then Benn stated that he was going to play for coach Zook and with Ballew at Illinois. He was in a hurry, so my brother - who was in shock, didn't get to ask him when he was going to commit.

Anyway, I guess he was in some camp as Ballew and him were wearing the same camp shirts at the airport.

http://mb30.scout.com/fillinoisinsiderfrm3.showMessage?topicID=13381.topic

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TDJesus3

yea thats been on the rivals board for awhile...most including myself believe it to be complete BS. I dont buy it and i do not believe there is any way he is headed to the Illini

i would simply ignore that post on the illiniboard

Guest JerseyDomer

Now that's a funny story, to think someone put that on a board and thinks it holds weight is hilarious.... Yeah, Arrelious verbaled to a kid at an Atlanta Airport

Guest Irishmac1988

totally discard his statement...hes a 14 year old kid who claims to have contact with most of the top recruits in the nation. Illinois will always be a basketball school and will always have trouble attracting national football recruits

Guest IndyIrish
...hes a 14 year old kid who claims to have contact with most of the top recruits in the nation.

I must've missed where it mentions the little bro is 14. That gives me much less heartburn. I know when I was 14 I made up crap all of the time to be cooler, haha.

totally discard his statement...hes a 14 year old kid who claims to have contact with most of the top recruits in the nation. Illinois will always be a basketball school and will always have trouble attracting national football recruits

I read the exact same thing. Apparently this boy has fabricated news about the alleged mighty Illini recruitment effort this year that has not come to pass; so exhale, we're still okay with Benn

Guest NDLawJAG

I think the poster is 14 Indyirish... That means the little bro is, well younger. Got to feel sorry for the Illini fan. The wait around breathlessly for the wisdom of their recruiting guru (14 yoa prodigy) to tell them of his younger brothers visions from the ATL (Home of the Recruiting Muses).

Guest IndyIrish

.....and the backtracking is official. Posters on that board have already started backing off of the story and began logically thinking about the oddness of the #1 WR in the nation announcing his verbal commitment to a 14 yr old (or younger) boy in an airport in a neutral city.

Um ... that guy (the writer of the previously linked article) is a moron.

What we post here, or what Illinois or Florida State or some other school posts elsewhere is not affecting recruiting. ESPN, Sports Illustrated, or other respected news sources could do it, but not a message board.

If recruits are swayed by message boards, then they are morons too.

Guest Champion10
Some of the lurkers on the Illiniboard football forum lately have been Notre Dame loyalists. One of these has the decency to give himself the correct identification name, but most hide behind vague monikers. Just think! Mighty Notre Dame has fans so insecure they think Illinois is a legitimate challenger for some of their top recruits. Who are we to argue with them? They wouldn't waste their time unless they saw us as a legitimate competitor. We should use their rants as a source of great strength and confidence-building. This never happened when Ron Turner or his predecessor were Illinois' head coaches.

These ND apologists keep trying to convince Illini fans (i.e. convince recruits who read the site) that top recruits will naturally choose their arrogant approach over Coach Zook's sincerity and enthusiasm. Perhaps some will, but Illini fans shouldn't let a few biased ND fans make them doubt the potentialities. Anything is possible! So don't believe all the BS!

Whenever we read a post on a website, we must ask ourselves the agenda of the poster. Everyone has an agenda. This writer wishes to share knowledge and lessons learned over the years. Some just wish to let off steam or get attention. But some have ulterior motives that are hidden within the message.

One poster, supposedly an assistant football coach at a Chicago Catholic League school, served up an emotional diatribe about how top Chicago innercity athletes naturally prefer Notre Dame because of its prestige. He acted as if Notre Dame was ideal for helping the downtrodden rise from their ghetto upbringing. The agenda in this case is easy to spot because the coach works at a Catholic high school and Notre Dame is Catholic. The obvious bias discredits such an appeal, no matter how emotionally charged or logical it might sound. Don't believe all the BS!

By the same token, Illini fans (including this writer) have a bias that must also be weighed when determining the strength of arguments. To believe anything out of hand is a mistake. To listen with an open mind while recognizing the likely agenda of the writer is the proper approach. Of course, our own emotions and agenda can interfere with the analysis of another's messages on a fan forum. If we keep our own bias out of the way, we can spot the biases of others and learn to minimize their negative impact on our beliefs and confidence levels. Don't believe all the BS!

Just like those accused above, this writer is "catapulting the propaganda" by stating repeatedly we shouldn't believe all the BS. But the desire is to help neutralize the BS by countering with a reminder to keep it all in a proper perspective. If we keep our balance and peace of mind, we will do nothing to help our competitors gain ground with recruits who might be reading our posts.

And then those recruits can make up their own minds about where they wish to attend college. If we do that, Illinois will be successful because we have outstanding basketball and football staffs who will get the job done. Let's not help our opponents by falling for all their spindoctoring! Don't believe all the BS!

what is this writer talking about? I am pretty sure that us ND fans are not scared of Illinois.